Question ASUS ROG Z790E wifi II

Aug 10, 2024
If I had hair before, it would have been ripped out by now. I need some ideas from someone who has been there on how to load WIN 11 on my new PC. I have some previous experience doing much earlier vintage builds, but this is the first on the current upper mid leve tier of products. My build is a Corsair D5000 case with a TX1000 power supply, an ASUS ROG Strix Z790E WIFI II motherboard, Trident G5 6400 64gig, a GeForce 4060 TI video card, and a 2 TB M.2 G5 SSD. At present I do not have the video card installed, but everything else is.

Here is where the problem starts. The system boots perfectly, and I began to install windows 11 pro onto the system. The initial steps were fine until I got to the network setup step, where the system hangs up and just sits there with a pretty message saying let's connect you to a network, but not letting you do it. I've traced it to (I think) to ASUS not having installed the intel lan drivers onto the motherboard. I have the instructions email from ASUS, am an aerospace engineer by education and a retired airline pilot by trade, and I cannot understand what they are saying. I understand how to update drivers when the operating system is installed and working, but I do not know how to get these drivers installed from the point where the windows installation is stalled.

So, finally my question, how do I get the drivers installed so windows installation can get past this network item?
Also, how in the he** can a motherboard not come with the drivers installed for the chipset and processor that it is designed for?

Thanks.

Aug 10, 2024
Try going into bios and disable lan controller, save and exit. Boot back to bios and enable, save & exit. See what you get then when you get to network stage in Win11 install.
That did not work. The email that I got from ASUS gave me a link to the section that describes exactly what I am encountering. It says to go to the ASUS help website and download the intel lan drivers, which I have done and unzipped them to a USB 3 flash drive. I got that done, but I am lost in trying to figure out what they are saying to do at this point.

It is unfortunate that Microsoft (yes, its really their fault, not ASUS) chooses to limit the number of drivers included in the installation image to exclude drivers for some of the latest lan chips. They want to limit the size of the installation image so users won't complain about how long it takes to download it, especially users with data caps. (I'm guessing here that given your training and experience you downloaded the W11 installation image immediately before starting the process to ensure its as up to date as can be).

From what I remember installing W11 on my Asus Strix E Z790 wifi version 1 the installer contains an adequate lan driver to connect and continue installation. The driver will then update when Windows Update is run after installation is complete. I can't clearly remember but I think if you have the wifi turned on it will also give an option to connect. I don't remember the installer ever hanging with either ethernet cable connected or wifi active since they're both basic Intel chips which don't change much. Was your ethernet cable connected to a router which didn't recognize the new motherboard's mac address? Perhaps directly connecting it to your modem might help. Or are there other Access Control measures in your system which might be blocking the installation process?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That did not work. The email that I got from ASUS gave me a link to the section that describes exactly what I am encountering. It says to go to the ASUS help website and download the intel lan drivers, which I have done and unzipped them to a USB 3 flash drive. I got that done, but I am lost in trying to figure out what they are saying to do at this point.

At the network screen Press the “Shift + F10” keyboard shortcut.

In Command Prompt, type the following command to bypass network requirements on Windows 11 and press Enter.

OOBE\BYPASSNRO

The computer will restart automatically, and the out-of-box experience (OOBE) will start again.

Note: You will need to select the region and keyboard settings again to get to the network connection page.
Click the “I don’t have internet” option.
Click the “Continue with limited setup” option.
Click the Accept button (if applicable).
Confirm the name of the local default account on Windows 11.
Click the Next button.

and continue the setup process

Aug 10, 2024
It is unfortunate that Microsoft (yes, its really their fault, not ASUS) chooses to limit the number of drivers included in the installation image to exclude drivers for some of the latest lan chips. They want to limit the size of the installation image so users won't complain about how long it takes to download it, especially users with data caps. (I'm guessing here that given your training and experience you downloaded the W11 installation image immediately before starting the process to ensure its as up to date as can be).

From what I remember installing W11 on my Asus Strix E Z790 wifi version 1 the installer contains an adequate lan driver to connect and continue installation. The driver will then update when Windows Update is run after installation is complete. I can't clearly remember but I think if you have the wifi turned on it will also give an option to connect. I don't remember the installer ever hanging with either ethernet cable connected or wifi active since they're both basic Intel chips which don't change much. Was your ethernet cable connected to a router which didn't recognize the new motherboard's mac address? Perhaps directly connecting it to your modem might help. Or are there other Access Control measures in your system which might be blocking the installation process?
At the network screen Press the “Shift + F10” keyboard shortcut.

In Command Prompt, type the following command to bypass network requirements on Windows 11 and press Enter.

OOBE\BYPASSNRO

The computer will restart automatically, and the out-of-box experience (OOBE) will start again.

Note: You will need to select the region and keyboard settings again to get to the network connection page.
Click the “I don’t have internet” option.
Click the “Continue with limited setup” option.
Click the Accept button (if applicable).
Confirm the name of the local default account on Windows 11.
Click the Next button.

and continue the setup process
Ok, I tried that. The shift + F10 part worked, and in the command prompt window as it first appeared says:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>_ with the underscore being much heavier and brighter and flashing. At this point it will accept nothing I type or do with the keyboard, so I can't enter OOBE\BYPASSNRO. The keyboard works with the initial screens on the windows installation, but does nothing after I hit shift +F10. Any more ideas?

Aug 10, 2024
Ok, I tried that. The shift + F10 part worked, and in the command prompt window as it first appeared says:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>_ with the underscore being much heavier and brighter and flashing. At this point it will accept nothing I type or do with the keyboard, so I can't enter OOBE\BYPASSNRO. The keyboard works with the initial screens on the windows installation, but does nothing after I hit shift +F10. Any more ideas?
Thanks for the help. I did go back and do step by step process from the troubleshooting link that was posted (which was the same link that ASUS sent me via email). Where I was getting lost was that I did not realize that to get the driver installed, you had to restart the whole win 11 installation process and before the installation starts, click on the box that says install drivers. I redid the installation process by clicking on install drivers, and did that, then when it restarted just started a new win 11 installation, and it worked fine on that installation. Win 11 is now installed and running, and I have added in the video card and got it attached to my display. All I have left to do is attach the case connectors to the MB and tidy up all the cables. Right now my Bios shows that the CPU temp is running at 43C and the MB at 39C, and it seems that the fans are not having to run very hard at all, and the case is still open. I am not sure how getting all the side panels put on will affect the temps, but based on videos I've watched, my CPU and motherboard are running really cool. I have to say, in computer terms, I do not know what temperature running hot is related to. If anyone knows, I"d appreciate your passing it on. Thanks.