Question Asus Router --- PC taking a long time to establish internet connection via ethernet ?

Sep 18, 2021
I just got a new Asus RT-AX86U router. Setup was fast, WiFi range is excellent, speed is good, but ...

When a computer connected via ethernet wakes up from sleep it takes up to 60 seconds for the connection to start working. The same issue happens if I physically unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back in (which is a lot quicker to experiment with than putting the computer to sleep). I did a bunch of debugging and here is what I found:
  • Router has latest firmware
  • Tests were done with short Cat 5e cables
  • The problem: Unplug the wire, plug it back in (or put computer to sleep) and it takes 40-60 seconds for the connection to recover
  • Issue happens on different Computers connected to the router via Ethernet.
  • Issue happens regardless of which LAN port on the router I connect with
  • If I connect the computer to the router through a hub then:
    • Disconnecting the hub-computer cable and plug it back in --- the connection is up and running within 3 or 4 seconds as expected
    • Disconnecting the hub-router cable and plug it back in --- The computer (Windows really) thinks everything is connected, but the actual connection takes 40-60 seconds to come back up
Looking for potential other ideas on what else I could do to resolve the issue.

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2021
* Update *

It turns out the problem only happens when a very specific device is connected to one of the router's other ports. I have an old FIOS Actiontec router configured as a bridge in order to provide MoCA to the FIOS TV Box. I have set up the Actiontec router as a bridge: turned off WiFi, turned off its DHCP server, turned off its broadband connection, bridged the LAN ports to the coax port. The Actiontec router is working fine as bridge -- the TV box is able to obtain IP address from my main Asus router and is able to connect to the internet.

HOWEVER - Whenever the Actiontec router is connected to the Asus router, other computers connected to the Asus router take 40-60 seconds to establish a connection when waking up from sleep or when the cable is first plugged in.

I have tried setting up the Actiontec router to obtain an IP from the main Asus router (assigned, not random) as well as setting up the Actiontec router to use a static IP. Didn't make a difference. There also isn't a difference regardless of whether anything else(e.g. the TV box) is connected to the Actiontec.

I welcome any ideas on what could cause the Actiontec to mess around with other ports on the Asus router.

kanewolf

Titan
* Update *

It turns out the problem only happens when a very specific device is connected to one of the router's other ports. I have an old FIOS Actiontec router configured as a bridge in order to provide MoCA to the FIOS TV Box. I have set up the Actiontec router as a bridge: turned off WiFi, turned off its DHCP server, turned off its broadband connection, bridged the LAN ports to the coax port. The Actiontec router is working fine as bridge -- the TV box is able to obtain IP address from my main Asus router and is able to connect to the internet.

HOWEVER - Whenever the Actiontec router is connected to the Asus router, other computers connected to the Asus router take 40-60 seconds to establish a connection when waking up from sleep or when the cable is first plugged in.

I have tried setting up the Actiontec router to obtain an IP from the main Asus router (assigned, not random) as well as setting up the Actiontec router to use a static IP. Didn't make a difference. There also isn't a difference regardless of whether anything else(e.g. the TV box) is connected to the Actiontec.

I welcome any ideas on what could cause the Actiontec to mess around with other ports on the Asus router.
Why not leave the actiontec as a router rather than a bridge? The TV box should still be OK with that.

Reactions: spaceman13