Asus router, set up as access point, affecting the Lan connections of the main router

AndreLebedev

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Hi,

I have a Tp-Link TL-WDR4300 router as my main router, connected to my modem. I have an old Asus RT-N13U, in the downstairs floor, set up as access point (DHCP turned off, static IP reserved, different SSID) connected via ethernet cable (LAN port to LAN port) to my main router.

Everything works fine for hours, or even days, until, eventually I no longer get internet connection on any computer, via wifi or ethernet, through my main router. It connects to the LAN, gets a proper IP address, but the LAN doesn't seem to work. I can't even access the configuration page of the main router, nor get internet access.

By simple disconnecting the Asus (AP) router, it's all back to normal on the main router, LAN and internet. If I reconnect the ethernet cable, the problem returns.

Rebooting the Asus router solves it, but eventually, without any configuration changes whatsoever, I get the same issues. I'm starting to consider dumping the ASUS router and buying new one, since it was unstable at times, when it was my main router, but I'm afraid there might be a different issue here.

Any ideas are welcome,

Andre Lebedev

Solution
Most home use wireless routers have bad firmware. They use memory to correct errors and when that memory gets full they start malfunctioning or quit working all together. Unplugging the power to them for 30 seconds and plugging them back in clears the memory and they function properly again.
As stated above ,upgrade the firmware to a 3rd party, I use DD-WRT, or buy a comercial/business class router(expensive).
MOST home use routers have this problem. some contain more memory so they need to get rebooted less often but it still happens.

AndreLebedev

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

An alternative firmware is a nice idea, I'll give it a try. I'm wondering, however, how could the secondary router mess up the main router, to the point of disabling internet connection, even on the computers on an ethernet cable?

Thanks for the quick response!

Most home use wireless routers have bad firmware. They use memory to correct errors and when that memory gets full they start malfunctioning or quit working all together. Unplugging the power to them for 30 seconds and plugging them back in clears the memory and they function properly again.
As stated above ,upgrade the firmware to a 3rd party, I use DD-WRT, or buy a comercial/business class router(expensive).
MOST home use routers have this problem. some contain more memory so they need to get rebooted less often but it still happens.

Solution

It can get stuck in a constant request loop, asking the main router for the same information continuously, using up all of the main router's resources trying to answer the request of the secondary router.

AndreLebedev

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

Interesting. Didn't know that. Poor memory usage could be the cause here, specially cause it takes a while to get stuck. Very helpful answers, Unolocogringo and getochkn! I'll get a third party firmware going then.

Thanks a lot!