[SOLVED] ASUS router via ethernet

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I have a high end ASUS router and gigabit connection and I was trying to find a reason to use Ethernet over WiFi. My router gets gigabit all over the house with no drop spots or anything and same exact ping and wired.

Solution
In addition to the above two posts I'll add some more information--the wifi bandwidth is shared--so 1 gigabit total. And the airwaves it transmits on is also shared with anything in the same spectrum so if your neighbors wifi is closed enough to show up in your house, it actually cuts your bandwidth.

In contrast, ethernet is switched bandwidth--a full 1 gigabit to each wired device (2 gigabit if you consider the full duplex). If you have 15 wired devices, the total bandwidth is 15/30 gigabit. On wireless, you at best have 1 gigabit.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Wireless will never get better latency than wired. Period. You also have a limit as to how many devices and how much bandwidth can be used over your WiFi network. If you use wired ethernet for all your fixed-place devices (such as desktop computers, TVs, game consoles, etc.) it leaves more bandwidth available for your truly mobile devices (laptops and phones).

In addition to the above two posts I'll add some more information--the wifi bandwidth is shared--so 1 gigabit total. And the airwaves it transmits on is also shared with anything in the same spectrum so if your neighbors wifi is closed enough to show up in your house, it actually cuts your bandwidth.

In contrast, ethernet is switched bandwidth--a full 1 gigabit to each wired device (2 gigabit if you consider the full duplex). If you have 15 wired devices, the total bandwidth is 15/30 gigabit. On wireless, you at best have 1 gigabit.

Reactions: thomas4204
Solution

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018

Alright thanks everybody.

Reactions: SamirD