[SOLVED] Asus RT-AC1200G+, VLAN creation for robot vacuum

heartagramm

Reputable
Jun 4, 2018
A very noob question: how to create a VLAN for my robot vacuum (Roborock S5 Max) with Asus RT-AC1200G+ -router? I saw that I can create a "guest WLAN", but I'm not sure if the robot vacuum sees my other devices now. I would like to isolate the vacuum from my other devices and use the Roborock app to control the vacuum with my phone.

And another noob question: do I have to have my phone connected to the VLAN for it to see the robot vacuum, or can I be connected to the normal WLAN and still be connected to the vacuum?

Solution
The guest wireless is not a vlan it is more a firewall rule that forces all traffic to go to the internet. I am unsure if 2 devices connected to the guest network can even see each other. There is a feature called wireless isolation used to prevent this but I don't know if you can turn it on/off just for the guest.

Vlan support is very uncommon in consumer routers. You will likely have to find third party firmware but I don't know of any that runs on that model of router.
The guest wireless is not a vlan it is more a firewall rule that forces all traffic to go to the internet. I am unsure if 2 devices connected to the guest network can even see each other. There is a feature called wireless isolation used to prevent this but I don't know if you can turn it on/off just for the guest.

Vlan support is very uncommon in consumer routers. You will likely have to find third party firmware but I don't know of any that runs on that model of router.

Solution

nohackmove

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
It is not necessary to provide an isolated vlan for Roborock s5 max. It uses WiFi to be able to connect Roborock or Xiaomi servers via application you prefer to use. And you manage it from applications. So main point is to let it to connect to Internet.