Asus RT-N10+ B1 Dropping Wifi with Original firmware or DD-WRT I'm stumped..Showing good signal but local only connection

furnaps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I am running a Windows 7 64bit on my gaming Pc upstairs which is the main computer which the cable modem and Asus RT-N10+ router is physically connect to.

Downstairs in my old gaming computer I built that I gave to my father when I built my new one. It is running windows vista 64bit and is using a Asus pci wireless card I bought when I bought this router.

Before I bought this new router and wireless card The internet on the dowstairs computer would always randomly drop for no apparent reason and I would have to hard reboot my router & modem upstairs to get it to work again. So since my router was really old I figured maybe it was faulty so I bought this newer Asus RT-N10+ and also bought a new Asus pci wireless card for the pc downstairs to replace the one in it..

Set it all up and the same issue is happening.. Randomly the internet on the downstairs pc will stop working and be "Local Only" until I reset the router and modem upstairs once or twice and the downstairs internet will start working again...

It seems to happen "mostly" late at night around 1am which is when my old man actually wants to use the computer so he is getting frustrated because we have an eBay business and he needs the internet to work consistently on that Pc to bid and reply to customers.

So since this router supports DD-WRT and I heard so many good things about it I figured I would ditch the original firmware on the router and install DD-WRT, which I did. At first I thought it fixed the issue but It hasn't.

After learning the issue was still going on I used Wifi Stumbler to check if any other wifi channels might be interfering and there was about 4 others on channel 6 around us so I switcher my routers channel to channel 3. I also switched it to N only thinking maybe that would help since I have read those two things might help..

Well that didn't help either...

The downstairs Pc is still loosing its internet connection randomly every day..

Sometimes It will show excellent signal even when the internet is not working, atleast 3 bars. I have never seen the signal completely gone it always has some signal but sometimes it really fluctuates alot. And when it is working I think wifi stumbler showed like 30db? I need to check that again.. So when it stops working its still showing the signal strength to be excellent.

I think I remember checking on my phone to see if I could connect to the wifi on it when the downstairs pc's net stops working and I think I remember being able to connect on the phone fine so it seems limited to the downstairs pc.. Unless I didn't actually try on my phone when the pc's net wasn't working and I just think i did.. My memory is pretty bad lol..

My old man is furious that the internet keeps cutting out for hours because we have an ebay business and we need to be able to have a good reliable internet connection. I'm good with computers but I'm not a networking guru, networking is my weakness I don't mess with it often so I don't know a ton about it.

So at this point I'm stumped.....

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going on here and how the heck I can fix it to get my old man to chill out and stop flipping out when the downstairs computer losses its internet connection?? Because I am lost, I just don't know what else to do at this point..

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

What N standard is the router broadcasting 300 or 150. N
What is the adapter In the down stairs running at 300 or 150 N

What frequency do you have setup in the router.
2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz setting for N.

If set as 5.0 Ghz simply lower it to 2.4 Ghz.

If the option exists. It may resolve the problem.