Question ASUS SBW-06D5H-U - which drive to replace it?

Perene

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I have the external BD drive ASUS SBW-06D5H-U, which I bought knowing it didn't support UHD, for example, or some types of discs.

I always used an old LG drive, for my previous case, which was internal.

However, I had to ditch this because a bad PC case was compromising my hardware. So I had to go for external. But there's one thing bothering me enough so I'll get rid of this ASUS, too.

It's the insertion and removal of the disc, which reminds me of the old PlayStation (1), that worked the same. We need to make some effort doing it, because the disc never enters or exit the drive easily. It's always stuck either way, and I hate the idea of putting my hands over the disc surface to keep trying.

While with an INTERNAL drive, all I had to do was to insert the disc, and hit a button for the tray to close it. Same ease with removing, just pull it off.

I was wondering if any internal drive with the Vantec enclosure would be what I actually needed in the first place. If that's so, I'll sell this ASUS and get any internal drive, put in this USB enclosure, and solve that for good.

For the ASUS I also had to buy a 2m USB-C to 3.2 Micro-B cable. The one that accompanied the box was too short, 0.5m.

Perene

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
None of these are different than the one I use

The first is exactly the same for the reader, and the 2nd I forgot to add that slot-loading is not an option.

Will any of these internal drives with the Vantec enclosure have this tray? If the answer is yes, any of them will do:

TRAY.jpg

The other one is probably the worst thing I have ever seen in terms of hardware:

TRAY2.jpg