Asus Software Unlocks HDDs With Over 2.2 TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I don't know about you guys, but I find either the descritption given here a bit confusing, or it's really the procedure that is a bit confusing.

From what I understood from the PDF, it means that you can do the normal, which is buy and install a 3TB HDD, format it using the MBR to 2.2TB, and then use this program to create and additional Virtual Drive with the rest of the space.

Now I wonder, why won't this work with other brands of Motherboards ? I guess it does, but Asus did something to prevent that LOL.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]Why can't they just start using UEFI?? Are they really that lazy?[/citation]
Yes. Apple is the only company that cares about using it right now, so until 3 TB HDDs become a must-have for other system builders, mobo companies won't see much of a reason to make it commonplace for consumer boards (enthusiast-class boards included). Once 3TB HDDs becomes more of a consumer-desired feature, then we'll start seeing more enthusiast boards that address this issue.

But hey, aside from that, BIOS has been pretty good to us so far, right?
Why change a good thing?

Right?

Am I understanding this correctly?

The 2.2TB barrier only applies to partitions with MBR.

Windows Vista and 7 can use >2.2TB partitions as long as it is formatted GPT (storage drive, can't boot from it).

So, how many people out there want to use a >2.2TB partition for the OS? Why not create a MBR partition for the OS that is a reasonable size and partition the rest as appropriate for storage? Having a single ginormous partition with OS, apps, data, etc. seems a bit fool hardy.

BTW, I also would like manufacturers to make the switch to EFI.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I've tried researching the whole EFI supported mobos for the past few months and it doesn't seem that important that motherboard manufacturers add it to the detail list. I have a feeling the move from 3TB and beyond is going to be a huge cluster **** if nobody is going to release this info.

Luckily I'm with Asus so I could just download this tool in the future, but seriously a list needs to be compiled or something because I wont buy a new motherboard without knowing this when it's time to upgrade.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Choosing to rely on ASUS exclusively for something like this is a terrible idea. In the event of a software problem, making this virtual disk inaccessible, how do you get your data back when Asus support proves unable to do it (or chooses not to)?
Should the vendor make a business decision to move away from it (leaving no support for it anywhere), where does this leave the purchaser.

This needs redundancy.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
The 2.2TB barrier only applies to partitions with MBR.

Windows Vista and 7 can use >2.2TB partitions as long as it is formatted GPT (storage drive, can't boot from it).

From what I read most of this is true but Windows Vista SP1 and Windows 7 can boot from them ONLY if you have a Motherboard that supports UEFI so that it can boot from GPT partitions. Its not a Windows limitation unless its not a version of Windows specified earlier.

My guess is aside from Mobo support for UEFI, you would need storage controller drivers that support booting from GPT partitions as well. Im not 100% sure on this but I think I am 95% sure. Especially if you have RAID setup, as most RAID Controllers partition using MBR and the drivers are setup to read the drives that way.

There is an article on Anandtech.com where they review two 3TB HDD from WD and they go into detail about it. Check it out...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3981/western-digital-caviar-green-3tb-and-my-book-essential-3tb-drives-reviewed

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
What? BIOS is the entire slowdown in boot up times! Good thing? No..30 year old code is never a good thing! I will not purchase another board until UEFI is the norm. It's coming very soon. Windows 8 will support it. I'm holding tight until both, cuz with an SSD, my BIOS really drags things out.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rpmrush[/nom]What? BIOS is the entire slowdown in boot up times! Good thing? No..30 year old code is never a good thing! I will not purchase another board until UEFI is the norm. It's coming very soon. Windows 8 will support it. I'm holding tight until both, cuz with an SSD, my BIOS really drags things out.[/citation]
the old school out of date x86 was 30 too......

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]Why can't they just start using UEFI?? Are they really that lazy?[/citation]
Asus do have boards with EFI, usually it's only on the more expensive mobos.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I just wondering why people want to have their main hard rive a 3 TB I mean until we get to windows 11 we wont need anything bigger than I would way a 500GB just the fact that the 3TB cant be used as a boot Drive is fine for my and I would say 99.8% of people with the dropping prices of SSD I would think that .2% will be going to those for their Primary drive anyway

Just my 2 cents

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
anyone heard of EFI bootloaders..t.ry that .... it helps a lot....

besides macs are already running efi..since quite some time now...its high time that the bios got the boot...

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
My Asus N series laptop has an EFI boot option in the Bios. So it's already out. Then again i'm not going to be waiting around for a 2.5 3TB hard drive to come out to test it either.

abdussamad

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Reminds me of those programs that used to sit in your system tray and compress RAM for faster performance. Software that is going to be obsolete very soon.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
hoenstly dotn see what the great deal of concern is right now , most every day users dont need near 1 tb much less more than 2. i'm a game art design major that plays a crap load of games and i use a craop laod of software for school, and i still make do with a measly 320 gig drive. i'm sure before the every day user startrs needing that much space the kinks will be worked out in hardware not just software. my question is any one got a spare 512-1 tb drive they dont want laying around LOL ?

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]rpmrush[/nom]What? BIOS is the entire slowdown in boot up times! Good thing? No..30 year old code is never a good thing! I will not purchase another board until UEFI is the norm. It's coming very soon. Windows 8 will support it. I'm holding tight until both, cuz with an SSD, my BIOS really drags things out.[/citation]

Windows Vista and 7 both support UEFI...

[citation][nom]dEAne[/nom]We just wait for microsoft to incorporate this to the OS.[/citation]

Windows Vista and 7 both already support UEFI and larger than 2.2tb harddrives. We're all waiting for motherboard makers to switch from a standard BIOS, to EFI or UEFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.