Question Asus Strix 2080 TI OC Fans going crazy loud

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Hi guys, i recently have mounted 2 of these graphics cards from waterblocks to the stock air coolers, i think I did everything right, even the application of the thermal paste (that appears to be the problem to most people around the internet) . Both are working fine, one hits max temps of 66ºC, the other one 70ºC. The problem is that the fans go crazy loud when reaching these temps while gaming (mostly destiny 2).

Can someone help me here ? I think that even if it was related to the thermal paste application, i doubt that it would happen with both of them..

Feeling lost and annoyed here. With both jets next to me.

One pc runs with a 10900k, 32 gb 3600mhz, and the other one with a 9900k, 32gb 4000mhz.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
So you've got the two cards on two system's and not SLI? If so, please parse thespecs to both builds like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include ambient room air temps, BIOS version for both system's and the age of the PSU's in both systems. You should ideally be on version 20H2 for Windows 10. Parse a link to the GPU's you've got and the waterblock that was on them. If the cards were purchased second hand, might want to ask and see if the cards were used for mining.

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
So you've got the two cards on two system's and not SLI? If so, please parse thespecs to both builds like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include ambient room air temps, BIOS version for both system's and the age of the PSU's in both systems. You should ideally be on version 20H2 for Windows 10. Parse a link to the GPU's you've got and the waterblock that was on them. If the cards were purchased second hand, might want to ask and see if the cards were used for mining.
Yes, two separate systems..

I'll post the rest of the specs when i get home from work then..

Both of them were SLI on one watercooled system that barely worked. My brother in law had this pc in a corner, he gave most of it to his sister (my gf) and 1 of the graphics card to me, i was the one to disassemble the whole system and put everything back together again. So the gpu's barely worked.

I really think I was the strict as i possible could be when doing it all. So I don't really think I damaged something. But can't really figure out what it could be since it's happening on both gpu's.

I'll come back to you guys later with the full specs..

joaomonteiro94

Reputable
Feb 21, 2018
Forget about it guys, i'm stupid. I didn't really looked close enough before posting since I assemble the pc recently and it happen during gaming only so I instantly assumed it was the gpu. The truth is that the noise come from the fans of the aio, i have a corsair h150i elite capellix, working on a 10900k that runs hot af.. When gaming the cpu tends to rise the temps to around 70ºC, which makes the fans work 100% to keep it cool, i tried to adjust the fan curve but the temps quickly go over 80ºC if I do so.

Any tips ? New fans ? Could be bad application of the thermal paste ? (dont think so)

It's really unbearable...

(my case is a lian li O11 dynamic and the radiator is top mounted)