[SOLVED] Asus Thunderbolt 3 expansion card for Maximus Hero VIII Help

EddieHuante

Reputable
Mar 28, 2017
I recently bought the Asus Thunderboltex3 expansion card for my Maximus Hero VIII Z170 motherboard to use a UAD Apollo, and I am having issues setting it up. I tried all the available PCIE ports, and I only have luck with one of them. However, when I rebooted the PC after configuring in the BIOS none of my USB ports were working, except for the one on the new card. I plugged in my keyboard to that usb port and messed around with all the settings to no avail, the computer would not boot up Windows 10 either, only BIOS. When I try the other ports everything works fine except for the thunderbolt connection. I installed the Asus drivers and nothing pops up there or on the UAD software. I am considering throwing in the towel, any and all help is appreciated! :)

Solution
You might want to see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard. I'd also advise on seeing which version of Windows 10 you're currently on. At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2.

I just went through the manual for the motherboard and it shows that the header on the board supports the Thunderbolt EX II card, not the III although the card's support site states that so long as there's a header on the board, you should be good to go. Did you plug in the connector, the right way?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard. I'd also advise on seeing which version of Windows 10 you're currently on. At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2.

I just went through the manual for the motherboard and it shows that the header on the board supports the Thunderbolt EX II card, not the III although the card's support site states that so long as there's a header on the board, you should be good to go. Did you plug in the connector, the right way?

Solution

EddieHuante

Reputable
Mar 28, 2017

My BIOS is outdated so I will update that, and my Windows 10 is running in 1909 so I'll look into that as well. The card causes other issues when plugged in as well, such as disabling all of my USB ports and disabling my PCI-E Wifi Card, not sure what that is all about. I will do the updates as well as update this post accordingly, thank you!