Question Asus TP550L screen flickering

grgery hzat

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hey guys, trying to fix a laptop here for school and need some help.

Whenever the laptop runs below 30% battery, the screen begins to flicker and aggressively so when scrolling or opening windows/programs. If I plug the power cable in, the flickering stops completely and it acts like normal. I have searched all over the internet for a resolution and cannot find one.

Here is what I've done:

1. reformatted the laptop and installed an SSD with a fresh copy of windows 10.
  2. Uninstalled intel hd 4000 graphics driver and windows reverted to the Microsoft basic display driver and this actually worked initially, but I had no hardware acceleration. Reinstalled intel drivers with latest and the same issue returned, uninstalled it again; but even the microsoft drivers do the same.
  3. checked all internal routing cables and connections on the laptop, all secure and flush.
  4. Went into BIOS when updating BIOS to see if it'd resolve the issue, noticed that the flickering does NOT occur in the BIOS and only returns after the Asus screen and just before windows logon screen appears.
  5. Booted into safe mode and flickering did NOT occur.
So I'm at my wits end. It seems to be some driver issue perhaps, but this is a brand new windows 10 install with 4 programs...I'm thinking to purchase a new screen online and try that as a last resort, but that means $$$ and I'm hoping for a software solution as the symptoms here don't seem to be hardware based, thanks for any help.

Edit: UPDATES

So I changed windows system setting to performance and disabled all of the effects and transitions for the system. This helped a little bit, but launching anything still created strobe like flickering. The screen became dark at times and I took my phone, turned on the led light for the camera, and shone it behind the display; I could see the windows elements/desktop whenever it flickered black. So does that mean that it is the display and a backlighting issue?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
It could be a driver issue. Which version of Windows are you on? Latest BIOS for your laptop's motherboard? Make sure you've uninstalled and reinstalled your laptop's GPU drivers. Speaking of laptop, mind sharing an SKU for us to learn of it's specs? How old is the laptop?

To me it seems like the laptop might need a battery replacement.

grgery hzat

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hi, I'm on the latest version of windows 10 home and the latest bios my laptop. The system was purchased in 2014 at launch and began having those issues about a year in. It's an Asus tp550l with 8gb of ram, 240gb ssd

Edit: I should add that when the laptop is connected to an external monitor, this issues does NOT occur on the external monitor. The laptop screen will still flicker, but the desktop one will not.

Last edited: