Question Asus Tuf x570 chipset fan is noisy, I can't turn it down, might get different Mobo

Nov 1, 2019
I have the Asus Tuf Gaming X570 plus motherboard and I can't stand the noise from the chipset fan. I can hear the chipset fan spinning, even when the other fans are going at their normal speeds. I updated my mobo to the latest bios and there is no control to adjust the speed of the chipset fan. This is enough of a problem for me to switch to a different motherboard. I know that the Gigabyte and MSI mobos provide the option to adjust the speed of the chipset fan and even have it turned off when the computer is in an idle state which is really nice. It is either I get a different mobo or get a different case that reduces noise like a BeQuiet case. I am a little concerned about thermals in a quieter case. I have a Ryzen 3600 cpu, an EVGA 1070 video card and 16gb G.Skill 3600 MHz ram. I have the Corsair 275R case.

I know that the reviews of the Gigabyte and MSI motherboards aren't as good as mine but I don't really care as long as the boards aren't absolutely terrible and reduce the chipset fan noise. What do you all think I should do?

Nov 1, 2019
Did you update BIOS? I'm aware early BIOS on many X570 boards lacked the ability to adjust chipset fan speed that later versions added.

I did update to the latest bios and it didn't fix the problem. Cpu temp is running at 35C and motherboard temp is running at 27C. Hardware includes ryzen 3600, corsair 3200 MHz ram, Corsair 275R case and Seasonic focus 750W PSU.

I did update to the latest bios and it didn't fix the problem. Cpu temp is running at 35C and motherboard temp is running at 27C. Hardware includes ryzen 3600, corsair 3200 MHz ram, Corsair 275R case and Seasonic focus 750W PSU.
27C on motherboard...if that means chipset...is pretty cool. Probably at or just above ambient.

too sad you can't lower that fan speed even with the latest BIOS. a major fail for Asus.

Nov 1, 2019
27C on motherboard...if that means chipset...is pretty cool. Probably at or just above ambient.

too sad you can't lower that fan speed even with the latest BIOS. a major fail for Asus.

I just realized that the motherboard temp isn't the chipset temp. According to HWinfo, the chipset temp is 58C and HWinfo also shows the chipset fan running at 900RPM, where as the fan was running at 1800RPM in the bios.

I just realized that the motherboard temp isn't the chipset temp. According to HWinfo, the chipset temp is 58C and HWinfo also shows the chipset fan running at 900RPM, where as the fan was running at 1800RPM in the bios.
Is something working PCIe hard? Like maybe heavy NVME drive transfers or GPU compute pushing a lot of data traffic across the bus.

Just curious because that seems pretty hot for something that's NOT working, fan notwithstanding. I'm not really familiar with what's normal for X570 chipset temperatures.

Some BIOS will frequently run CPU fans at high speeds when in BIOS for safety reasons, it could be the same with the chipset fans. Is 900 rpm too loud when in the OS? if it is, that must either be the worst designed fan ever or it's defective.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019
Is something working PCIe hard? Like maybe heavy NVME drive transfers or GPU compute pushing a lot of data traffic across the bus.

Just curious because that seems pretty hot for something that's NOT working, fan notwithstanding. I'm not really familiar with what's normal for X570 chipset temperatures.

Some BIOS will frequently run CPU fans at high speeds when in BIOS for safety reasons, it could be the same with the chipset fans. Is 900 rpm too loud when in the OS? if it is, that must either be the worst designed fan ever or it's defective.

No intensive tasks are being done. I forgot to mention that I do have the cpu fan running at 40% until it reaches 70C. Even if I run the CPU fan with the standard curve I can still hear the chipset fan. At this point, I will likely be going with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite or possibly Aorus Pro x570 mobo. The MSI x570 boards have a lot of good reviews on Newegg and a lot of people like the MSI bios. The only thing I hesitate on with the MSI boards is that they don't have as good of VRMs as the other boards. However, I don't plan on doing any overclocking and I am a casual gamer so I'm not sure the VRMs matter that much in my case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No intensive tasks are being done. I forgot to mention that I do have the cpu fan running at 40% until it reaches 70C. Even if I run the CPU fan with the standard curve I can still hear the chipset fan. At this point, I will likely be going with a Gigabyte Aorus Elite or possibly Aorus Pro x570 mobo. The MSI x570 boards have a lot of good reviews on Newegg and a lot of people like the MSI bios. The only thing I hesitate on with the MSI boards is that they don't have as good of VRMs as the other boards. However, I don't plan on doing any overclocking and I am a casual gamer so I'm not sure the VRMs matter that much in my case. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If you happened into an MSI X570 and it's performing for you I'd not suggest changing. But MSI's still asking a premium, even in their low-end, for boards with VRM's that don't compare well to Asus and Gigabyte...nor even Asrock. That's hard to support with recommendations.

I'd suggest going with Gigabyte if you can. But first ask if the fan speed is adjustable.

BTW...reading through this thread:

Suggests chipset temps in 40-50 range when idle is more the normal. Not sure what you should expect though.