Asus VG248QE: A 24-Inch, 144 Hz Gaming Monitor Under $300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

I have a VG248QE and a Samsung 1080p 60hz 5ms GTG 22in both sitting on my desk. The response time difference is hard to notice, but the refresh rate makes a HUGE difference. Just moving the mouse around or dragging windows makes the Samsung look jittery by comparison. It also reduces the input latency from Direct X "triple buffering".

InvalidError

Titan

You are probably going to have to wait a long time for 144Hz IPS since even 120Hz IPS panels are effectively nonexistent. Yes, there was the Catleap for a while but the original 120Hz unit apparently had very high failure rates and new revisions of it no longer support 120Hz.

sbuckler

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
Got the very similar (i.e. same panel I think) benq XL2411t (with the new non pwm backlight - they changed backlight recently without updating model number!). It works great, but you don't run at 144hz, you run at 120hz+lightboost. Basically its completely blur/ghost free (ie. you can read the pixperan reading test at 30 it if you can move your head/eyes fast enough to see the text).

Took a while but fairly happy with colours/contrast/etc too - they are almost certainly not 100% accurate but they look quite nice and photos look natural. You have to use the colour settings in the nvidia control panel + one of the test image websites to do it. I also added +5% digital vibrance to counter the TN washed out look.

noobzilla771

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Bought this 24" monitor a month after it came out because my 27" 1440p IPS panel broke (cheap korean monitor). I'm a first person gamer mostly but play other games too and oh my.. 144hz is amazing! Easily improved my KDA from 2.0 to 2.5. Sure color is not as great as IPS and factory settings was terrible, but after calibration I am satisfied with it.

InvalidError

Titan

People who need 120-144Hz for gaming likely move too fast to really notice incremental resolution bumps... and they likely wouldn't want to sacrifice FPS for resolution either.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm rather tired of a monitor with a lousy screen being called a "gaming monitor" because the response times or frame rates are fast. That is absolutely wrong! Image quality and fluidity are the reasons I want 120+Hz, not some concept of needing to support twitch reactions.

CraigN

Distinguished
The Image quality is fine if you're not doing any kind of professional photo editing... For watching movies/TV shows, viewing pictures, etc... It does just fine once you fiddle with the settings. It just also happens to do gaming EXCEPTIONALLY well compared to other monitors.

ceberle

Contributing Editor
Editor
Dec 20, 2012

Frankly, there was no need to improve motion clarity because we didn't see any motion blur at all. The super-fast screen draw time means you don't have to flash the backlight (thereby reducing light output) to combat this issue. Even less-responsive panels these days don't exhibit much motion blur.

-Christian

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Wait so they consider a company - Overlord Computer - an aftermarket? They make their own units and have IPS 1440 panels going up to 120hz. I would never buy this crappy panel. TN at 6? Really? This is a horrible display for gaming - ugly colors and dark screens. No thanks.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Wait so they consider a company - Overlord Computer - an aftermarket? They make their own units and have IPS 1440 panels going up to 120hz. I would never buy this crappy panel. TN at 6? Really? This is a horrible display for gaming - ugly colors and dark screens. No thanks.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Actually 1080p is 1920x1080@60Hz. This is 1920x1080@144Hz. Granted 2 Titans is still overkill in many games at these setting, there are still plenty of games where 2 Titans cant keep a solid 144fps with everything cranked to the max.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
160° vertical viewing angle...as long as you don't mind monochrome. It's always a safe bet to divide the advertised viewing angle by 2. I'm just tired of the lies.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

What? 1080P nothing more than a progressive scan vertical resolution of 1080 line and has nothing to do with refresh rates. 1920x18080 @ 60Hz and 1920x1040 @ 144Hz are still both 1080P. Your ignorant comment also suggests you have no idea how well GTX 780s in SLi perform in comparison to SLI Titans. Having a clue about what you are talking about helps :)

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Only 1920x1080 resolution is a deal breaker. I have a much cheaper, much older 23 inch monitor from Asus that is 1920x1200. I would hate to pay a higher price for this kind of downgrade.

The quality of the monitor is far more important then the refresh rate. I have a 1920x1080x120 23.5 inch Monitor and while I love the quality, the difference between 60, 75, 100 and 120 refresh rates wasn't noticeable. What ~was~ noticeable was times when the FPS would momentarily drop to 30 due to v-sync. If your rig can't output the frames fast enough then your refresh gets halved during those times and there is definitely a difference between 30 (60/2) and 60 (120/2) fps. Thankfully adaptive v-sync helps a ton when this happens.

sephirotic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Yet this can´t touch a professional CRT from the last days of the the Cathode tube era. I have a dell IPS 1440p 27 for work, color grading watching movies and browsing and a 19" 2048x1536 100hz CRT for games. No TN screen can match in response time and input lag of such monitor. Buying an expensive TN midle ground is just plain stupid. if i want absolute performance and smoothness, i go for the CRT, if i want absolute quality, i switch back to my IPS. If you want neither of then and burn your money on a *#*$&@ monitor murky innacurate monitor with exagerated gimmick refresh rates beyond the pratical perception of your brain yet with a lot of perceiveable input lag, go to the stupid gaymer TN.

Also, i'd like to add that this whole hype over the lowest possible input lag is completely BS. specially for FPS. Any fps that isn´t based on hitscan (bf3, and specially more serious strategic games like Arma), a 1 frame input lag (16ms) (with is standard for any cheap e-ips that has game mode) is more than acceptable: is irrelevant. Anyone arguing passionate against this aleggation is a dumb angry kid that doesn´t understand shit about the human eye, the nervous system reaction speed, latency compensation in internet games, PROPER STRATEGY IN TEAM-BASED FPS GAMES and most of all: PLACEBO EFFECT. The only games that could be trully affected by input lag as low as 15~20m/s are fighting games, and COD-like hitscan fps. And if you are an adult training for competitive international championships of COD, you should be ashamed of yourself.Otherwise, a crt is still better for fighting games than a gimmick 144hz crappy and expensive TN screen.

These are my 2 cents.

mdrejhon

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Christian, are you aware of the motion tests at www.testufo.com ?

Also, regarding LightBoost: Pixel transition speed is no longer the primary cause of motion blur today -- this is seen in this animation at www.testufo.com/eyetracking (and lots of science papers) -- most motion blur seen on a modern LCD is caused by the sample-and-hold effect, according to the TFT Central article: www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/motion_blur.htm ... TFTCentral, AnandTech, and others also found LightBoost made a huge difference. There are a lot of us who rave about the improvements of motion clarity with LightBoost. Today, a new utility called ToastyX Strobelight allows you to turn on/off LightBoost with just a key press.

When LightBoost is turned off, you see motion blur at www.testufo.com/photo even at 120Hz and 144Hz. However, when you turn on LightBoost, the motion blur completely disappears. You can actually read text, even at PixPerAn speed of 30. And you can read the street name labels in the TestUFO Panning Map Test at www.testufo.com/photo#photo=toronto-map.png at 960 pixels/second.

Go to the Amazon.com Customer Reviews Page of the VG248QE monitor, and search for the word "LightBoost" (Ctrl+F), people are saying they notice the difference. Also, check out www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/testimonials for a sampling of other testimonials (includes links to original forum posts too) including improved Battlefield3 graphs of people who have enabled LightBoost.

I would suggest Christian at least briefly test:
1. Enable LightBoost (easiest is install ToastyX StrobeLight)
2. View www.testufo.com/photo while turning on/off LightBoost

It translates very well to games. It is very noticeable in the games during turning/strafing (especially with a microstutter-free 1000Hz mouse) when the game is framerate-locked to 120fps @ 120Hz. Tracking enemies without stopping moving. Circle strafing. High-speed low flybys. Etc. Many gaming styles benefit.

mdrejhon

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Normally, they don't. Both of them are a small fraction of the length of a visible refresh. So motion blur from the sample-and-hold effect is more dominant than the pixel transition speed. Scientific papers explain this (Sony scientists, Panasonic, Nokia, etc)

However, if you shorten the pixel visibility time ("hold" time, as in sample-and-hold) either by higher Hz, interpolation, adding flicker, CRT, black frames, strobe backlight, etc.), things change. There are more demands again back on the pixel transition's speed, and the difference between 1ms and 5ms can become a big chasm. (3D crosstalk during active shutter glasses -- is another excellent use case of why 1ms vs 5ms sometimes matters -- you need to clean up the refreshes very fast between frames)

Agree that input lag is an issue (LightBoost can add half a frame). But for some people, motion clarity is more important (screenshots of better battlefield3 scores with LightBoost). That said, LightBoost TN's can have less motion blur than some CRT's such as the Sony FW900. The strobe backlight flashes for a shorter time period than the phosphor decay of a Sony FW900! There are many rave reviews by dozens of people who see the motion blur benefits. From the Internet, there are several hundreds of posts, similar to:

original post (Transsive)
Then yesterday I, for some reason, disabled the 3d and noticed there was no ghosting to be spotted at all in titan quest. It's like playing on my old CRT.
original post (Inu)
I can confirm this works on BENQ XL2420TX
EDIT: And OMG i can play scout so much better now in TF2, this is borderline cheating.
original post (TerrorHead)
Thanks for this, it really works! Just tried it on my VG278H. Its like a CRT now!
original post (Vega)
Oh my, I just got Skyrim AFK camera spinning (which I used to test LCD's versus the [Sony CRT] FW900) to run without stutters and VSYNC locked to 120. This Benq with Lightboost is just as crystal clear if not clearer than the FW900 motion. I am in awe. More testing tomorrow. Any of my doubts about this Lightboost technology have been vaporized! I've been playing around with this fluid motion on this monitor for like 6-hours straight, that is how impressive it is.
OCN post (Baxter299)
way to go vega enjoyed your review and pics ..thanks for taking the time .got my VG248QE last friday .replacing my fw900 witch is finally taking a rest in my closet .
OCN post (Romir)
Thanks for the timely review Vega.
I went ahead and opened mine and WOW, it really does feel like my FW900. I haven't tried a game yet but it's down right eerie seeing 2d text move without going blurry.
QuakeLive forum post (Cat)
With my Asus VG278HE at 120Hz and Lightboost (the Lightboost registry hack doesn't currently support 144Hz) playing at 1080p I am pretty much brutalizing my competition. Even with its 2-5ms input lag, which is worse than the 1ms of my old 120Hz monitor the difference with Lightboost is so huge the input lag literally becomes a non-issue. The only thing that matters now that I don't experience any motion blur is my true reaction time.
Even if the reviewer of the monitor doesn't believe he sees motion blur, other readers may too as well. But I think Christian will begin to notice it, if looking carefully. (Important: Motion blur is different from ghosting). Also, I am willing to bet $500 cash (I'm the owner of the Blur Busters blog) that Christian Eberle can't read all of the map labels at 960 pixels/second at 120fps @ 120Hz or 144fps @ 144Hz in the TestUFO Panning Map Test, at www.testufo.com/photo#photo=toronto-map.png ... enabling LightBoost makes the fast-panning map as perfectly clear as a stationary map even while fast-panning.

This is relevant to gaming, as fast panning relates to being able to identify enemies and shoot them while turning, without stopping turning first, giving people a further advantage in gaming. (Make sure you are running at full framerate=Hz, and have a microstutter-free 1000Hz mouse). Things from CRT gaming days, like circle strafing, becomes easier. And controlling a helicoptor during high speed low-flybys, becomes easier as you're no longer bottlenecked by 120Hz or 144Hz LCD motion blur, and can aim at camoflaged enemies easily while they pass by at high speeds. Obviously, many LCD gamers don't use the old blur-dependant CRT gaming styles.

AnandTech even agreed that LightBoost has benefit. TFTCentral has an article about LightBoost. Unlike yesterday's LightBoost hacks, a utility called ToastyX Strobelight now makes it easy to press a hotkey to turn ON/OFF LightBoost (You can do it even while viewing a motion test too).

Also, Sony and Eizo has recently followed suit with strobe backlight technologies too. This time officially (as a blur elimination feature), rather than a bundled feature as part of 3D Vision.

Everyone who did this, was able to see a difference in TestUFO when using a strobe backlight. Ability to see in games is frequent, but can definitely vary due to the wide range of different games/playstyles/framerates/microstutters. But the point is, many people are actually more sensitive to motion blur than expected. Just because a person can't see motion-blur (or need glasses, or is deafened), does not mean other people aren't more sensitive to motion blur (or better vision, or better hearing)! So I suggest future reviewers test out LightBoost anyway, as strobe backlights are slowly becoming official features of certain displays (e.g. Sony KDL55W905A "Game Mode Motionflow Impulse" feature, Eizo FDF2405W "Blur Reduction" feature).

If you have the VG248QE, at least try the LightBoost HOWTO and then view the TestUFO motion tests before/after.

Status
Not open for further replies.