Asus VG248QE: A 24-Inch, 144 Hz Gaming Monitor Under $300

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I literally bought this about 4 days ago. It's awesome and you need to fix the colors but use that ICC that was recommended above, I don't have any problems with the color. Games look fantastic on this though. Played Chivalry, Sins of a Solar Empire, Command & Conquer Closed Alpha, Battlefield 4 beta, BF3, Dirt 3, EVE Online, all look great on this monitor.

awesomedude911

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
To start off, I have this monitor, and im using it right now.

to be able to run the monitor at 144fps you need a BEAST Rig, like gtx 780 or better. My 670 has a hard time getting 120 in bf3 on med-low.

Dont let anyone tell you that 32 frames is the most they eye can see, so Not true. I can tell major difference between 35 fps and 120 fps in planetside 2. ( in that game large battles cause large fps drops.)

Might want to get 120Hz 1440p or 4k monitor when they come out/ get cheaper.

First, I find it a little stupid comparing 30' monitors to a 24' monitor. Rather have seen 24' IPS monitors (including 8-bit and 10-bit) compared to this monitor.
2nd, i'm pretty sure there is no video card setup that manage to pump out 144fps in new games. Seems more like a overkill.
and last, colors to me mean everything. The monitor i have now tries to 'dither' and does a crappy job of it (most TN monitors do). I see the banding. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE ANY BANDING AT ALL...PERIOD. This monitor is banding.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Korean PLS 2560x1440 monitors offer the best of both worlds. Samsung PLS panel, no scaler (low input lag) and overclockable to 120hz, sometimes higher. For $300, there is NO reason not to buy one (or two).

My Korean PLS monitor has better color than my Dell 2007WFP, better pixel density, color accuracy (after calibration) and cost 1/3 the price.

As long as these great inexpensive monitors are available from Korea, they should be the only word in monitors outside of high end production work.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

That may be true, but just from a cost-benefit standpoint, one must question a build strategy that pairs ~$2000 in graphics cards with a sub-$300 monitor.

Seems like the computer-hardware equivalent of slapping a Ferrari engine on a moped -- but hey, different strokes. I suppose it'll work if you truly only care about responsiveness in the latest games.

pcchip

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
This monitor is absolutely amazing. I own one (in addition to their older 120hz models as well) - regular 60hz LCD's feel so inferior when I sit in front of one now

Add to that the fine print for the Catleap "120Hz" 2560x1440 monitors on Ebay how there is no guarantee of the overclock speed (from the ad):

"Notification
As overclocking may vary depending on the version of the graphics card and drivers, we do not guarantee overclocking up to 120Hz.

This result can not be the reason for a replacement and refund."

and how the warranty is void on overclocked monitors and it boils down to a guaranteed 60Hz 2560x1440 monitor. They are running around $800-850 for the 'perfect pixel' version on Ebay right now ($600 for the non-perfect pixel?) for these lesser-grade panels where you can get HP and Dell 60Hz 2560x1440 A+ panels for the same price, so they're not quite a deal these days.

If there were truly a 120Hz 2560x1440 panel out there (made specifically for 120Hz), the legit companies (Dell, Asus, BenQ, etc...) would be selling them and you wouldn't have to order them from a place in Korea you know little about that buys up other companies' panel rejects.

Also, it seems like if you're truly a stickler for color, you're not going to compromise with a less-than perfect-pixel version of a panel or a lower-grade panel for that matter.

I really wish a real company would produce and sell 120Hz 2560x1440 monitor in a 30" scale. I'd like the native text size to be a little larger than what a 27" has to offer at that resolution. I'd drop $1K on something like that.

rigs79

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
As long as WoW looks beautiful and my eyes stop hurting and watering mid way through raiding I'll be extreemly happy. I currently have a 5 year old Samsung at 60 Hz. Get this tomorrow. Can't wait.

cbarkachi

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013

In this kind of world with "measurers" as I call them, it makes a huge difference lol.

rigs79

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
As long as WoW looks beautiful and my eyes stop hurting and watering mid way through raiding I'll be extreemly happy. I currently have a 5 year old Samsung at 60 Hz. Get this tomorrow. Can't wait.

InvalidError

Titan

If panel manufacturers decided to start pushing for higher refresh rates, we would likely see a mainstream progression through 75Hz, 90Hz, ~105Hz, 120Hz, etc. but this isn't entirely up to them these days with digital interfaces having well-defined standard resolutions, refresh rates and bandwidth limits unlike VGA.

Resolution-wise, I would be more interested in 2560x1600 at 24" - I find it ironic how that resolution is so common on 10" screens but unavailable below 27" on the desktop.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I'm looking forward for this kind of monitors. I have a Syncmaster 2450P which is delicious (1920x1080@60hz) it's the best monitor I ever had since my old 17" CRT Nokia. I refused to go for the LED, cheaper, model because it was of lesser quality, tiring bright and got no VESA wall mount which is the only way I use them since I play on the couch.
My final goal is playing. I have a friend, he went for IPS with some TN like preset when he plays. He is an (sorry for my english) amatorial photographer. Probably a 144hz IPS monitor will come out but I don't think there is a market with that kind of money for someone who is picture pro/amateur and also gamer but it would be welcome if it gets popular and price drops.

Anyway, al Bluray 30/29 or 27 fps films are displayed @ 60hz 1 fps every 2hz. But films have usually a frame repeated 3 times and another 2 times, for 22ish unique frames inside a 27 fps signal. At least this is what I learned online.
So the issues of non vsync-ed fps would show certainly less tearing but @ 60 fps each of them have to be drawn every 16.7 ms for perfect smoothness, @120 and 144hz its 8.3 ms and 6.9 ms, as you can see smoothness depends on timing and when you get more fractions of a second to put a frame you get more smoothness as each unique frame is shown in multiple drawn cycles even when you don't get crazy fps speeds.
All the above is still theory to me until I don't get my hands on one of this monitors.

MrKlowb

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Proof or shut up. So far you just shouted your opnions, and insulted anyone who you don't agree with.

rigs79

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
So I got this monitor yesterday and after calibrating it....WOW!!! Smooth as glass as others have described. Coming from a monitor running at 60 hz to this one at 144 hz is a Massive improvement.

I have never owned an IPS panel and I'm just a gamer....I can't see any problem with the color at all. All the images are beautiful and did I mention how smooth it is.

This is an outstanding monitor in my opinion. If IPS monitors have better color, that's great for them, but certainly don't let that deter you from purchasing this monitor if you are stressing over some of the comments posted here about it. You wont be disappointed.

sephirotic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I wonder why we don´t have middle grounds IPS monitors between 60 and 120 hz. Yes, we can notice a (little) bit of benefit from the boost of framerates from 60 to 120hz, and yes, IPS can hardly get better response times than 10~12 ms without excessive overdrive and ghosting. But 10m ms is aready 100hz. I would be happy IF i could get my hands on a 96hz monitor (perfect sync to 24p content) or even 72 (3x24). Back on the old time of CS, me and other experienced players realized that beyond 90hz there was absolutely no benefit in boosting framerate further. We could perceive a difference from 90 to 60 fps, but we could hadrly perceive difference when it was beyond 75~90fps, at this range scores wouldn´t be affected at all. And noone could perceive difference beyond 90 fps.We don´t really need 120hz display, that value is just a market gimmick related to 3D technology, (2x60hz frames) but i couldn´t care less for 3D, and for gaming, 96 is more than enough. 75 would already make me more than happy (75 for pal regions, 72 for NTSC)
75 is already in reach for many IPS and PLS displays. I wonder what is keeping manufacturers for actually selling monitors in this range. Stop fooling your consumers with gimmick marketing and offer proper products with proper benefits.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
My only concern with ASUS high refresh rate monitors is the 3D support. I have 3x VGH278HE, and while it runs great with Nvidia 3D Vision, I really want to switch over to an AMD gfx card for my next machine.

AMD HD3D is no where near as good as NVision however. AMD won't take the time to build in native 3D software into the Catalyst Control Panel (you have to use tridef or w/e), and they don't make 3D glasses/emitter kits like Nvidia does. So you are left with having to get 3rd party glasses or ones made by the manufacturer (Asus in this case, which they do not).

Ultimately I'd like to see AMD build 3D support directly into their CCP, and partner with some other vendor to make 'AMD Certified' 3D stereoscopic emitter/glasses kits that would work across most 120+ Hz monitors.

InvalidError

Titan

I do not think universal active-shutter glasses are possible since proper shutter operation requires somewhat precise timing between the display and glasses while that timing can vary substantially between LCDs and even on a given display by changing some options.

It's easily possible and has been around for well over a decade. All shutter glass's need is a vsync signal, they lock onto that and alter the shutter whenever vsync goes off. In the days of DSUB15 analog it was really easy to just have a bridge adapter that tapped into the vsync pin. With DVI / HDMI it's quite a bit harder was you gotta get the vsync signal straight from the drivers. There just needs to be an open standard to signal the wireless shutters that vsync is happening.

InvalidError

Titan

Not really.

Vsync on CRTs worked because there was zero-delay between the VGA signal and what ended up on-screen. With LCDs, there usually is a 8-60ms delay between what came in through VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP and what ends up on-screen so the vsync you might extract from the video source has no universal correlation to what ends up on-screen - the shutter delay would require display-specific calibration.

Since the display is the only one who knows exactly when it is switching images, the simplest and probably cheapest method would be to have a common standard for active shutter signaling and embed transmitters directly in the screen's bezel: all it requires is the addition or IR diodes and the code blob to generate the signaling pattern since all the other signal/sync decoding is already done for other display-related functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.