Question Asus Vivobook S touchpad works in BIOS but not windows

bdog21

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
So my touchpad is not working. if i go to BIOS, it works just fine, but boot into windows and it does not. When i press the f6 hotkey, it pops up and says touchpad disabled, but pressing again doesnt change it to "touchpad enabled" like it should. It does not show up in device manager under Mice, Under Human Interface devices there is "Asus Precision Touchpad". I tried uninstalling that and reinstalling drivers. I also uninstalled and reinstalled "I2C HID device" and "Intel Serial IO I2C Host Controller" as instructed by the asus website troubleshooting. In my settings i do no have "Touchpad Settings" anybody got any other ideas as to why its not working? Im starting to wonder if the touchpad needs replaced or something? but i would hope not cuz this laptop is less than a year old and not used a whole lot, maybe twice a week for 15-20 min thats it

Model is S5402Z running Windows 11

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure you haven't inadvertently disabled your touchpad in Windows. See here for clues where to look:

bdog21

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
So that link has you check that its enabled when u go to Settings > BT & devices > Touchpad. But in BT & devices, there is no "Touchpad" option. So I followed the next steps to enable the touchpad with a reg file. Restarted, still nothing. I did notice though that in device manager under Human Interface Devices, there is one that says "I2C HID Device" and has a little yellow warning symbol. When i click properties under device status it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10). A request for the HID descriptor failed."