Asus Vows to Make Products Better Than Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Woohoo SWEET! Frankly, I don't think it will take all that much to crush Apple and take away it's computer market share - except of course for fanboys and girls who will buy Apple regardless.

Asus gunning for the iPhone too is extra delicious. I think Asus might have the right attitude and common sense to realize that what you need to compete with it is a better product, not an 'almost-as-good' product.

;)

G

They should have chosen a goal that they aren't already accomplishing. Their leaked 2010 goal roadmap lists "have 100% of employees breathe air". That may be hard for Asus to pull off as well.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
""Apple has always been admired (or at the very least, noticed) for its design""

Indeed... Design is everything for Apple. They certainly don't have the superior hardware.

Cudos to Asus whom ive always loved thier hardware.

gcolefla

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
thats a great goal, when I bring my asus laptop to my graphic design class and they all have macbook pros, there is definitely a difference in the design of the machine, but the parts inside were close to identical.

I hope all pc vendors can try to make better built machines. If anyone can do it though Asus might have the resources. They just have to remember less is more.

And what about a super nice phone that isn't the iphone. I have read that the Palm pre is better in some regards but still clunky compared to appple's device. Cell phone companies really need to step it up, its been two years.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
One suggestion would be to offer a proper linux distro of your own instead of the stripped down flavor of the month redistrobution.
Asus, you make some of the best hardware on the planet but if you keep pushing 'it's better with windows' your not gonna over come Apple in mindshare. I have seen too many people in the past blame the OEM when windows crashes or the computer is bloated and slow.
It's hard to make the case, because it takes years to build market share with a new OS. But a well build computer with a solid operating system in default configuration goes along way in convincing people of your brand.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Am I the only person who hates the look of Apple's products? I mean, all I ever hear about them is that they're sleek and sexy and stuff. I think they're downright ugly.[/citation]
I agree. I have never found them attractive. Give me black, not some lame white hospital looking color.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
HP and Dell have both tried this, and in some ways succeeded. The new 10" netbooks from HP and Dell look very nice, sleek, and impressive, and they work quite well.

Asus already has the reliability and solid reputation they need. If they can makes some thinner and less ugly netbooks (which they already are) and get this nice keyboard PC out on the market, I don't see any reason why they can't beat the tar out of a company that I think they're already beating. Asus > Apple. Been that way for a long time, I think.

P5Q Pro, anyone?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I am very disappointed in this announcement. Why is ASUS aiming to make a better product then Apple when they have been doing that for years? Thats not exactly setting the bar high. They should instead be aiming at remaining the best OEM manufacturer. MSI and ACER have been gaining alot of ground in the same segment.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
"Give me black"

I'm not a big Apple fan but not nearly the hater that a lot of you idiots are but Apple had a black MacBook for a very long time. Pretty funny that you would mention black as a knock AGAINST Apple.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I like Asus products, but their computers have an odd appearance. Except for Eee line, I find their computers look a bit plasticky. Also, they always appear to be directed towards gamers (from what I've seen). They are innovative, though, and make fine computer products and their computers always offer good bang for the buck. I think, however, that they underestimate the importance of advertising. I think Apple proved that you can sell an inferior product (component wise) based on advertising and a slick design. Most people don't even know what components their computers use. Most people by what they see on TV and what looks good a Best Buy. Asus may want to reconsider and advertise. The readers of Tom Hardware know and trust Asus, but most of the world has never heard of them. I bet if you asked most people who makes the Eee pc, they couldn't even name the company. In my mind, though, they could are more capable of starting a new paradigm for computer platforms, sort of like the netbook, than directly compete with Apple. They should out compete Apple by delivering a more efficient product, not try and beat Apple at its own game. At the least, they should advertise.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Yeah, great... like the T91 which will have an internal battery versus an easily swapped and upgraded user accessible one - I guess ASUS doesn't want to make computers better than Apple, they just want to make them like Apple.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Am I the only person who hates the look of Apple's products? I mean, all I ever hear about them is that they're sleek and sexy and stuff. I think they're downright ugly.[/citation]

You aren't. I'm with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.