Question ASUS VP249QR text flicker when scrolling + certain textures shimmering in games?

Jul 2, 2023
Hey!

I just upgraded to a VP249QGR. My first 144hz IPS panel. Awesome monitor. Looked just as good as my old Samsung PLS after a quick brightness adjustment. However, this monitor seems to be plagued with an issue that my old Samsung simply wasn't.

Gray text on any kind of dark background flickers/changes contrast/sharpness when scrolling in Chrome (dark mode YouTube especially), Steam, Discord and other similar environments. (1080p, 144hz on desktop)

This is also present on various in-game textures. Some of it can clearly be written off as aliasing/in-game quirks. But there's stuff like certain wood textures with reflections, or stairs and complex wall textures that trigger this flicker when the camera is moved. The issue is completely non-existent when the camera is still. Same as the scroll issue outside of games. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same problem.

I've tried fiddling with Brightness, Contrast, Trace Free (ASUS' overdrive setting). None of it eliminates the flicker. Putting Trace Free to 100 (up from default 60) actually makes the issue more apparent, while lowering it to 40, 20 and 0 doesn't do anything. The issue is also less apparent at 60hz, but definitely still there. FreeSync/G-Sync on/off also has no effect.

Here's a pair of videos showing both instances of the problem:

View: https://imgur.com/a/2LudRwh
(text flicker/contrast or sharpness shift when scrolling)

View: https://imgur.com/a/2N312u4
(bridge/walkway texture flicker when the camera is moved)

Is this something I can RMA? The monitor was purchased a week or two ago. I'd Ideally like to avoid getting another model, because this one really fits my use case and desk space. Appreciate any and all input!

Jul 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How is the panel hooked to your system? What GPU are you working with? Did you manually install the driver for the monitor, here?
Thank you!

I'm working with an RTX 4080, and the monitor's hooked up via Display Port. I have also tried HDMI with no luck or change.

Just installed the driver and it appears to have not affected anything, other than make Windows recognize the monitor in device manager under its non-generic name.

Jul 2, 2023
It really isn't. This issue is pretty annoying when just browsing day-to-day, and I just wanna know if this is something I should try and get a replacement for? Dunno if it's a defect or luck of the draw on panel lottery, but it doesn't feel normal. And none of the reviews for this monitor mention this issue.