Jan 19, 2020
I recently purchased the Asus Z390-A prime and ran into a pretty strange problem that took a lot of trouble shooting,
The issue was when a display port cable was plugged into the gpu the bios wouldn’t be available on start up, windows would load normally and the white VGA led would be illuminated on the motherboard.

whoever However with an hdmi cable being used, the bios could be accessed as normal and the white vga light would not be illuminated.

Asus tech support was at a loss and I couldn’t find any solutions online to this specific issue so after a ton of troubleshootingI finally found that in the bios under boot options CSM is default disabled but enabling it clears the problem completely.

Problem solved. I just wanted to get it out there and hopefully save somone a lot of time and effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 17, 2020
I am having the same VGA light issue, i have tried multiple cables, HDMI, Display, even use a USB to VGA adapter and nothing worked

But after moving the PC to a new location and on a more up to date monitor, if i reset it a few times eventually the light clears, but i get stuck on the "Press F2 or DEL to go to BIOS settings"
and pressing the keys there does nothing at all, just stuck there

Jan 19, 2020
I am having the same VGA light issue, i have tried multiple cables, HDMI, Display, even use a USB to VGA adapter and nothing worked

But after moving the PC to a new location and on a more up to date monitor, if i reset it a few times eventually the light clears, but i get stuck on the "Press F2 or DEL to go to BIOS settings"
and pressing the keys there does nothing at all, just stuck there
Huh that is strange, I should add that I updated the bios as well, are you unable to access the bios at all? and completely unable to do anything else on start up? You could try going to the asus drivers and loading the newest bios driver onto a usb drive and update the bios that way, https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z390-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/ or go into the case and pull the coin shaped battery off the motherboard and let it set for five minutes to reset everything. Also here is something I found related to boot issues that may be of help. https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1030210

Jan 17, 2020
the VERY first boot up i got to the bios screen, adjusted fan speeds there no problem, when i clicked on the button to set the boot drive, the whole thing froze up and after 25 minutes or so i restarted the system, haven't been able to get to the BIOS screen at all since then
i've pulled the CMOS battery, used the cmos jumpers to reset it as well and no luck
i RMA'd to get a new board and CPU, going to see if that fixes the issue