Question ASUS Z390-A

Jul 13, 2021
Problem connecting RGB fan to motherboard.
Information-> Motherboard : Asus Z390-A MOTHERBOARD
Fans : cooler master sickleflow 120 argb + AIO MSI mag coreliquid 240r argb

ztxvywcuyj751.jpg

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can't.

There are two INcompatible systems for RGB lighting dominant now. The plain RGB system uses a FOUR-pin connector that consists of a common +12 VDC power line and three separately-controlled Ground lines for the three different colours of LED's in the lighting device. That is the ONLY type of lighting header header on your mobo. The other more complex system is called Addressable RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB or Digital RGB, and its connector has THREE pins (like the female connector in your hand in the photo) consisting of common +5 VDC and Ground lines, and a digital Control Line. The two system use VERY different means of controlling the lights, and VERY different Voltage supplies. IF you force your 3-pin light connector onto a 4-pin header somehow, you will burn out your lights with the 12 VDC supply and ruin them!

You need to buy a separate third-party ARGB lighting Controller to use with your lights. Check what's available from Cooler Master or MSI, since you have lights from them.

Reactions: Khalil0111
Jul 13, 2021
You can't.

There are two INcompatible systems for RGB lighting dominant now. The plain RGB system uses a FOUR-pin connector that consists of a common +12 VDC power line and three separately-controlled Ground lines for the three different colours of LED's in the lighting device. That is the ONLY type of lighting header header on your mobo. The other more complex system is called Addressable RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB or Digital RGB, and its connector has THREE pins (like the female connector in your hand in the photo) consisting of common +5 VDC and Ground lines, and a digital Control Line. The two system use VERY different means of controlling the lights, and VERY different Voltage supplies. IF you force your 3-pin light connector onto a 4-pin header somehow, you will burn out your lights with the 12 VDC supply and ruin them!

You need to buy a separate third-party ARGB lighting Controller to use with your lights. Check what's available from Cooler Master or MSI, since you have lights from them.
Thank you for answering me

just one more question
is this controller good to use with my mobo and can i control the lighting effect threw software ?

Cooler master controller model : MFP-ACBN-NNUNN-R1

argb-led-controller-gallery-1-zoom.png
argb-led-controller-gallery-2-zoom.png

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, I THINK.

The CoolerMaster web page for that controller does NOT say it can be operated by software. It does have two options for control mentioned there.
  1. Connect a cable from your mobo's plain RGB (4-pin, 12 VDC) header to a particular port of the Hub, then use a button on the Hub to tell it to use that input. The Hub will accept that and "translate" what it requests into the proper signals for output on its own 3-pin ARGB ports so they do produce light displays. However, The signals from the mobo can only request the types of light display patterns that plain RGB can do, so that's what you can get this way. You can NOT get all the complex displays of a true ARGB system.
  2. If you do not make that cable connection, there are two cables to do it another way. These are a way to convert the Reset button on the front of your case to a MANUAL way to change displays. One cable goes from the Hub to the Front Panel header of your mobo where the small cable from the case front panel Reset switch is plugged into two pins. You unplug that, and plug in there the cable from the hub. Then you take the cable from the front panel Reset button and connect that to the OTHER cable that goes back to the Hub to a particular port. By using particular pushes of the Reset button you can make changes manually to the lights, OR use it as a real Reset button.

Some time ago I inquired at Cooler Master about using a software tool for this controller. The Controller DOES have a port and cable to connect to a mobo USB2 header, and CoolerMaster DOES have a software tool for lighting control they call MasterPlus+. That software came out AFTER this Controller hit the market. Cooler Master told me you CAN use that software and the cable and port of the Hub to do SOFTWARE control of the lighting displays from this controller with your ARGB lights. If you plan to do that, you do NOT make the cable connection to a mobo lighting header, and you do NOT need to connect to the Reset button or the mobo Front Panel header. This, even though their web page still does NOT say that.

So, I advise YOU should contact Cooler Master Tech Support and ask the same question. Can they ASSURE you that you can control their Addressable RGB LED Controller model MFP-ACBN-NNUNN-R1 using their MasterPlus+ software, via a connection from the hub using the USB2 cable to a mobo header, as supplied?

Jul 13, 2021
Yes, I THINK.

The CoolerMaster web page for that controller does NOT say it can be operated by software. It does have two options for control mentioned there.
  1. Connect a cable from your mobo's plain RGB (4-pin, 12 VDC) header to a particular port of the Hub, then use a button on the Hub to tell it to use that input. The Hub will accept that and "translate" what it requests into the proper signals for output on its own 3-pin ARGB ports so they do produce light displays. However, The signals from the mobo can only request the types of light display patterns that plain RGB can do, so that's what you can get this way. You can NOT get all the complex displays of a true ARGB system.
  2. If you do not make that cable connection, there are two cables to do it another way. These are a way to convert the Reset button on the front of your case to a MANUAL way to change displays. One cable goes from the Hub to the Front Panel header of your mobo where the small cable from the case front panel Reset switch is plugged into two pins. You unplug that, and plug in there the cable from the hub. Then you take the cable from the front panel Reset button and connect that to the OTHER cable that goes back to the Hub to a particular port. By using particular pushes of the Reset button you can make changes manually to the lights, OR use it as a real Reset button.
Some time ago I inquired at Cooler Master about using a software tool for this controller. The Controller DOES have a port and cable to connect to a mobo USB2 header, and CoolerMaster DOES have a software tool for lighting control they call MasterPlus+. That software came out AFTER this Controller hit the market. Cooler Master told me you CAN use that software and the cable and port of the Hub to do SOFTWARE control of the lighting displays from this controller with your ARGB lights. If you plan to do that, you do NOT make the cable connection to a mobo lighting header, and you do NOT need to connect to the Reset button or the mobo Front Panel header. This, even though their web page still does NOT say that.

So, I advise YOU should contact Cooler Master Tech Support and ask the same question. Can they ASSURE you that you can control their Addressable RGB LED Controller model MFP-ACBN-NNUNN-R1 using their MasterPlus+ software, via a connection from the hub using the USB2 cable to a mobo header, as supplied?
Hi,
can you suggest some models for the controller that works with my motherboard threw software

Thanks

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes. I had forgotten about this other item until I was reminded yesterday.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-pc-acc...addressable-rgb-controller/RZ34-02140600-R3U1

The Razer Chroma Addressable RGB Controller specifically says it can be used with all "standard" 3-pin ARGB lighting systems and without any connection to a mobo ARGB header. It is controlled using the free Razer utility Synapse 3. So it is exactly the type of third party software-operated ARGB Controller you need.