Question Asus Z790-E was working, now I can't even get to BIOS. Please Help!!!

grimlock

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
I built two nearly identical PCs. The computer that is having the issues is running an Asus Z790-E, 13900K and it was working fine, loaded Windows 11, I was changing some settings in Windows and some software, and decided to reboot and it froze right when the screen said to hit "DEL" for BIOS. (The screen was at the wrong resolution too).

I unplugged the computer. The motherboard LED on the heatshield is on as is the LED in the Corsair AIO, but no Q-LED and if I try to start the computer nothing happens. I reset CMOS, did a BIOS flashback, and nothing.

My other computer is running the same mobo (similar hardware, but an i7 and an older graphics card) and is running just fine with zero issues.

I'm fairly new to troubleshooting PCs, so what should I be trying next? Right now I'm just leaving the computer unplugged.

Thanks!

I built two nearly identical PCs. The computer that is having the issues is running an Asus Z790-E, 13900K and it was working fine, loaded Windows 11, I was changing some settings in Windows and some software, and decided to reboot and it froze right when the screen said to hit "DEL" for BIOS. (The screen was at the wrong resolution too).

I unplugged the computer. The motherboard LED on the heatshield is on as is the LED in the Corsair AIO, but no Q-LED and if I try to start the computer nothing happens. I reset CMOS, did a BIOS flashback, and nothing.

My other computer is running the same mobo (similar hardware, but an i7 and an older graphics card) and is running just fine with zero issues.

I'm fairly new to troubleshooting PCs, so what should I be trying next? Right now I'm just leaving the computer unplugged.

Thanks!
First diagnostic test is to disconnect or remove all of the drives so that you can determine if its a hardware or software problem. If it successfully boots to bios, then try booting from a usb stick containing either the windows installer or a linux distro. Sometimes the linux distro is more helpful as it lets you see how well your graphics, audio and network components work. If all continues to go well you may have to reinstall windows to eliminate whatever you messed up.

grimlock

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
First diagnostic test is to disconnect or remove all of the drives so that you can determine if its a hardware or software problem. If it successfully boots to bios, then try booting from a usb stick containing either the windows installer or a linux distro. Sometimes the linux distro is more helpful as it lets you see how well your graphics, audio and network components work. If all continues to go well you may have to reinstall windows to eliminate whatever you messed up.

Thanks I’ll go try this.

grimlock

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013

I removed both drives and GPU and it reacted the same way. Fans spin up briefly and then it locks. Q-Code reads 00 the whole time so I suspect this is a mobo issue. Correct me if I’m wrong…I probably am!

grimlock

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
OK, I swapped parts to my working computer, and proved it’s not the RAM, PSU, or graphics card as those all work without issue in the 2nd box.

Any advice on what to do next? How do I determine if it’s the CPU or the mobo?