News Asus's RTX 4080 Noctua OC Edition Is Officially Available, Officially Huge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
$1650 for this huge monstrosity? Yikes. Just get a 4090. You can avoid the Asus tax, go with a brand with better reliability, and get a card that is more robust. This card looks like many corners were cut and compromises were made regarding build quality. The box even looks like it was designed by an intern. It'd be cheaper to buy a 3D printer, buy some Noctua fans, and DIY your own Noctua 40-series.

Also, is it just me or has Asus' quality been slipping badly since the pandemic? Their prices are going up, but their routers and motherboards in particular seem to have major firmware problems.

I was thinking the same, if you really want some noctua fans on everything you could just 3Dprint a new shroud and it would be cheaper, even if you dont own a 3D printer you can probably order a custom print for way less money.

So they are asking us to pay $500 more for two fans ?

yeah $250 a fan imagine they selling Asus/Noctua PSU edition 1200 for $1200, probably bring back the ram cooler for $500.
things keep going up like this i would just buy a console, use a macbook air and a raspberri pi and forget about a new PC next time i want to upgrade. (i know i dont need any of these asus/noctua things but the pricing trend is everywhere)

I was thinking the same, if you really want some noctua fans on everything you could just 3Dprint a new shroud and it would be cheaper, even if you dont own a 3D printer you can probably order a custom print for way less money.

yeah $250 a fan imagine they selling Asus/Noctua PSU edition 1200 for $1200, probably bring back the ram cooler for $500.
things keep going up like this i would just buy a console, use a macbook air and a raspberri pi and forget about a new PC next time i want to upgrade. (i know i dont need any of these asus/noctua things but the pricing trend is everywhere)
Like I said, it's probably a limited run. That means the costs of doing the testing and validation to make this a product that Asus can support increase quite a bit on a per-card basis. If you make a card design and it costs $1 million, and then you manufacture 100,000 of those cards, that's only $10 extra per card. Do the same thing with a card where there are only 5,000 of them and you're suddenly looking at $250 extra per card. I'm not saying those are the actual numbers, but just an example. The amount of work that goes into a big company like Asus putting two large fans onto a custom heatsink ends up being way more expensive than if a hobbyist just 3D prints their own design. And if the hobbyist has problems, it's up to them to fix them. If an Asus card has problems, then support and RMA and all that other stuff comes into play.

Still not worth the extra $450 for the vast majority of people, but I'm sure there will be some people that buy it. 🤷