AT&T Once Again Named Worst-Rated Carrier in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Verizon halfway up that list? For the absolute hose job they were looking to put on myself and my wife. 150 bucks a month for two smartphones (hers off-contract now as well) on the 4GB/mo package.

Nuts to that. They should include a tube of KY jelly in with each bill.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
You would think they would want to change. Add something to help them along. Maybe have people sign only 1 year contracts. Beef up your customer service with people that can speak English. Double current costumers' data with the same price tag. Speed up LTE rollout. Only hire people in your stores who know what they are doing and who can do customer service. You would think with all of the money they are making they could do something to help their image.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Verizon has great coverage and speed, but it's messed up that you lose your unlimited data when you want to upgrade, even though you have been with the company for a while and show NO SIGNS of abusing your data. Also, it's really expensive. I don't talk on the phone much, how about they offer a lower talk plan to save us some money (will never happen).

D

Deleted member 217926

I hate AT@T. Stuck with them for internet and I still have the exact same 3Mb/s connection that is the max speed offered to me for the last 8 years or so. Got to love progress. :sarcastic:

Meanwhile if I lived a half a mile south I could have Cox and get 18Mb/s for the same price as I pay now or 28Mb/s for $8 more a month. They even offer a 50Mb/s plan! More than I would pay but still at least they have the option.

thehelix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Companies should abandon all the "charged for every minute you talk and every text you send" and just charge based on bandwidth used. This is what burdens their networks anyway. I rarely even use texts with services like whatsapp and bbm. How much longer will the carriers delay the voip for mobile phones?

Really excited to see how BB10 goes since it enables voice calls over WIFI (and how carriers will receive it)

revo1ver

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I have AT&T and my service was on a military suspension while I was overseas. So when I finally came home and reactivated the service my first bill for the month was $212 dollars for a single line, as opposed to my usual bill which was over half of that. I had a $36 activation fee because I upgraded my old iphone 3gs but the other $70-80 they could only tell me was "retrograded fees" because I activated my service in the middle of the billing cycle. Once this contract is over I will be switching back to a different service.

fordry06

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]samuelspark[/nom]Why is TMobile next to ATT?[/citation]

Because Tmobile's network is the smallest of the big 4 is probably its biggest hit. Also, knowing a couple people with tmobile, even in coverage areas, they lose signal in some spots and have degraded signal in buildings. I have Verizon (knock them all you want for price, their new plans are outrageous) and their signal stays good even in buildings where I see tmobile people going out. has to do with the frequencies they use I guess.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]fordry06[/nom]Because Tmobile's network is the smallest of the big 4 is probably its biggest hit. Also, knowing a couple people with tmobile, even in coverage areas, they lose signal in some spots and have degraded signal in buildings. I have Verizon (knock them all you want for price, their new plans are outrageous) and their signal stays good even in buildings where I see tmobile people going javascript:%20void(0);out. has to do with the frequencies they use I guess.[/citation]
Damn and I wanted to move to tmobile from verizon. Verizon is quite expensive for a single smartphone.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]gidgiddonihah[/nom]You would think they would want to change. Add something to help them along. Maybe have people sign only 1 year contracts. Beef up your customer service with people that can speak English. Double current costumers' data with the same price tag. Speed up LTE rollout. Only hire people in your stores who know what they are doing and who can do customer service. You would think with all of the money they are making they could do something to help their image.[/citation]

The executives would rather pocket those extra profits than invest that money into making their product better. They'll keep the bare minimum of service necessary to ensure they don't really fall behind their competitors.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
personally i see no real benefit from going to a contract phone plan .. I use virgin mobile and have done so for years .. if you havent check out there phones lately you might want to do so .. just saying att and verison are just out to rob your pockets ..

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]Also notice that the "bigger" the carrier, the lower on the list they are.Too big to fail, much?[/citation]
Your theory there is a bit off. Verizon is the largest of the "big 4"...with T-Mobile being the smallest.

[citation][nom]Ironslice[/nom]I don't see Metro Piece of Shit there.[/citation]
They seem to be missing quite a few carriers. nTelos is missing, Virgin Mobile, Net10.... Apparently Consumer Reports doesn't realize how many regional carriers actually exist.

[citation][nom]tripledouce[/nom]How can AT&T rate so low year after year and be the largest telecom Company in the U.S.? do iphones really create that much revenue for a company?[/citation]
AT&T is the largest telecom....but Verizon is the largest National Cellular provider by customer count. AT&T has more money because the company as a whole has more customers. AT&T offers local and long distance calling, cellular service, broadband internet and cable TV service in numerous regions. However, in the markets they service, they spend the least on maintenance and upgrades compared to their competitors allowing them to retain more of the money they collect.

[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]This is one reason I'll likely never own a Nokia Win 8 phone; exclusive contracts with ATT.[/citation]
Nokia has the Lumia 822 on Verizon....

[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]Damn and I wanted to move to tmobile from verizon. Verizon is quite expensive for a single smartphone.[/citation]
T-Mobile blows. Their customer service is horrendous at best.... Their network is unreliable and their coverage maps are a lie....

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]anort3[/nom]I hate AT@T. Stuck with them for internet and I still have the exact same 3Mb/s connection that is the max speed offered to me for the last 8 years or so. Got to love progress. Meanwhile if I lived a half a mile south I could have Cox and get 18Mb/s for the same price as I pay now or 28Mb/s for $8 more a month. They even offer a 50Mb/s plan! More than I would pay but still at least they have the option.[/citation]
I have Verizon's FiOS service. 50/25 internet....$110/month for the service package.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]I have Verizon's FiOS service. 50/25 internet....$110/month for the service package.[/citation]

Does that include TV? Because I get around 85/35 speeds (75/35 plan) for less than that...unless they upped the prices in the last few months. (I'm locked in with a contract)

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]Eh, AT&T has been fine for me so far...first with cell service in my area, so I switched about two years ago. I can't really complain too much.[/citation]
same here, I only have a old "dumb" Nokia flip phone and had AT&T turn off the data since they charged me almost $600 for just playing a game on it. Ever since then, no problems tho. The coverage is great in my area and I don't really use my phone much other than for a few phone calls a week if it's even that many.

ajvkorn

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
as a sales associate for Metro pcs, I am curious why it is not on this list..I know for a FACT we are better than T-mobile(who we actually are merging with).

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I know my parents first cell phone was with a provider that got bought out by AT&T around 2002. AT&T's network was always dropping calls and they were always tacking on hidden charges. They switched to Net10 prepaid phones pretty quickly and have been quite happy with them since ever since, as they only want basic cell phones with talk.

Me, I like Boost, no contracts and unlimited everything with a smartphone on the Sprint network for $55 a month with bill shrink to $40 a month after 18 months of on-time payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.