AT&T to Spend $14 Billion to Upgrade Wireless Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
AT&T to Spend $14 Billion to Upgrade Wireless Networks
Project Velocity IP, otherwise known as VIP, will receive an investment of $14 billion over the next three years. $8 billion will be focused towards its wireless division and a further $6 billion for wireline.
So, the headline is wrong. "Only" 8 billion is going toward the wireless network. 14 billion is the combined total for the investments into wireless and wireline.
[citation][nom]traans[/nom]100 megabits per second with a 20GB monthly cap...[/citation]Current monthly cap on U-verse is 250GB. Not that I'm defending having a cap, but if you're going to complain at least get your facts straight.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
With bandwidth caps and crackdown on file sharing, all this bandwidth will mostly benefit Netflix and Hulu and places like that.

[citation][nom]noob2222[/nom]I wonder who gets to pay for this upgrade? hidden fine print : current AT&T customers will see a 50% increase in their bill over the next 5 years.[/citation]

Dude it's already paid for by every person who went 1GB over in the last few years trust me this was a cash deal

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
As others have said, it's about fucking time. They have been dragging this out for FAR too long. Its been the main reason i wont use AT&T, especially after the Iphone came out. Hopefully they dont backpedal or drag it out more than they have.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]So, the headline is wrong. "Only" 8 billion is going toward the wireless network. 14 billion is the combined total for the investments into wireless and wireline.Current monthly cap on U-verse is 250GB. Not that I'm defending having a cap, but if you're going to complain at least get your facts straight.[/citation]

here in Indiana i have gone well over 250GB cap plenty of times and have never been throttled because of it.. or charged ... although most of my network usage involves watching 1080P streaming content and or game downloads from sites like steam or origin .. this is great news for subscribers considering the max speed currently is topped out at 24 Mbit a second .. in my area

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Southern California, been with AT&T since the mid 90's, upgraded to U-Verse back in 2010. I have no monthly data caps and I pay around $100+ for 13 static IP's and 20Mb down, ~5Mb up. Not ideal, but it's better than what I was using before.

This better not pose insane prices, I should be able to get the 75Mb-100Mb per second data rates at the same price I'm paying now, if not, then AT&T is losing a honest costumer to Charter.

It's about time a cell company invested in some infastructure! But I am not going to get internet that runs a hundred miles an hour but has a cap on it! When I really get into an HD series I can blow though 250GB in a few weeks easily. I am not about to start watching my usage any time soon.

I am on time warner cable at the moment, they are not 'great' but at the same time I have no real complaints. I normally get doubble the bandwidth I pay for, and rarely does it slow down (thank god for elderly neighbors?). However, I am beginning to see the added benefit of having a decent uplink so that I can have easier access to my files when I am out of the home (upload on cable is awful), so I really really want fiber. Cincy Bell promised my fiber at my address 3 years ago. Last year they finally put a fiber line in my area... and it stops literally 50 feet from my house. It has been a whole year of a fiber line sitting there, staring at me, and the only response I get form Cincy Bell is that 'fiber is not yet at you address, but we plan on having it available soon'...

grr

pwnbroker2

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
ATT spent 20.1 billion in capital expenditures in 2011. no big deal, telecoms spend more than any US company on capital projects. but what i thought was interesting about this news release was that there was no mention of the 26 page FCC filing requesting their consideration for TDM network turndown and conversion to all IP based telephony.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
It is about time. I live in a rural area & even though I have a tower 1 mile from my house I can't even get 3G. In fact, the larger towns about 20 miles away have 3G from both Sprint & Verizon but not AT&T. It really surprises me that it doesn't affect their business in this area more than it does. Hopefully these upgrades they plan on doing will finally get them caught up a bit.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]spartanmk2[/nom]Does this mean the cell tower near my house will get camoulfage?[/citation]
The tower nearest my condo in South Florida looks like a palm tree.

[citation][nom]traans[/nom]100 megabits per second with a 20GB monthly cap...[/citation]
Ive had U-Verse for a few years now and usually download over 250gb a month with my newsgroup service alone and never had any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.