At the end of my tether... please help....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

foip

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Hey guys,

I am having problems with my computer currently. I have no idea what the cause is (be it hardware or software related) but it is driving me mad.

About 2 months ago I purchased a GTX 780 so that I could play games at high settings with good fps.

Ever since I have installed it I have encountered a problem that is driving me up the wall.

Whenever I play a first person shooter (happens in other games too and even video playback). I get this "jittery" kind of effect, almost like micro-screen tear. It's hard to explain, when I move my mouse across my mouse mat it's almost as if it's skipping pixels or something. It makes no difference whether I have all the settings on low, everything turned off, the same problem is happening.

At this point in time I have tried 5 different mice and about 3 or 4 different mouse mats (hard and soft) and the problem persists.

I tried reinstalling drivers (using DDU and even going into the registry and deleting everything). The problem still persists.

Monitored temperatures and loads, everything seems fine. Getting just over 60C on GPU (highest i've seen it go was 66) and about 40-50C on my CPU.

Take for instance Battlefield 4 (where this problem is most prolific). I will have an FPS of between 70-120 but it feels more like 20 or 30fps because of this jittery mouse movement. It's not just in Battlefield 4 it's in pretty much every single other game.

I am reaching out to you guys because I'm honestly at the end of my sanity. I saved my ass off for over a year to build this thing and I would have been better off just buying one of the new consoles (considering the amount I spent to build this thing I probably would've been able to buy a new TV too!!)

Here are my specs:

Windows 8.1 64-bit (fully updated as of time of writing this post)

AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 (with latest BIOS)

i5-3570k @ stock (was previously 4.4ghz but I removed the over clock as I thought that might be the problem)

Asus GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ stock (never tried overclocking, only a couple of months old)

8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz

Sandisk Extreme II SSD 128GB

Standard Toshiba 1TB HDD

XFX Pro Core Edition 650W PSU

Steelseries Sensei Raw w/ 4HD mouse mat (previous mice I have tried: Logitech G400s/G500s/G300, Roccat Kone XTD)

Coolermaster Trigger keyboard

I'm thinking if it's a hardware-related problem (which is highly likely), then it could be my PSU or my motherboard....

I'm dying here guys, had this problem for about 2 months now. If you want to help me and need any more info just ask me.

foip

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I have an AsRock Z77 Extreme 4. I've tried reading up to see if anyone with the same board is experiencing the same problems I am but have drawn a blank on that one.

Any suggestions as to what I should change it to?

foip

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I've got an i5-3570k which is socket 1155, that board apparently supports 1156?

I've tried both PCI-E slots on the motherboard, both of which performed the exact same performance-wise. Although it does say in the manual for the motherboard that using PCI-E 2 (the first PCI-E slot) is recommended... doesn't give a reason as to why it's recommended, though lol.

I'm truly stumped, I have no idea what the hell the problem is...

foip

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Just found out that the memory I currently have isn't actually supported by the motherboard... Stupid me!

Does anyone know if that would be the cause of the problem?

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

The board I'm suggesting is advertised as . I5 supporting