At what minimum fps game starts hanging?& how much min fps for smooth?

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
hi guys,
dont know where to post it as its also related to gpu.
so,
i wanna know that at what minimum fps a game like crysis and other heavy games starts hanging?? if i get 30 fps will it hang? ( i'll be using gtx 460 evga or cylone,

one more thing ..

my 2 friends are using the same card & both of them got hanging problem while they are getting 25 + & some times 33+ fps on i3 540 with gtx 460. i am afraid. is i3 a bottleneck for gtx 460.. remember, i dont wanna overclock.

and also, how many (minimum, minimum, minimum :mad: remember this) fps do i need to rum heavy games smooth and also what would be the resolution?
i wanna play at high res and i will be using 18.5 inch lcd

thanks in advance.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
FPS will start stuttering around 25-30. For smooth gameplay, FPS has to be above 30. The i3 shouldn't be that big of a bottleneck, but it depends on what games you play.

For your last question, resolution doesn't really matter...it depends on your rig (CPU, GPU, etc.) as well as the game you're playing. If playing games at max settings and your FPS is stuttering, you can try to turn down the game settings, or you can turn down the in-game resolution, that's your call.

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
can i get about 40 + fps at max settings on i3 540 with gtx 460 & 2 gb ddr3 ?
i just wanna do gaming on this rig but its budgeted to i3 :(
any suggestions will be appreciated

i am gonna buy

i3 540
p7h55 d m pro
2 gb ddr3
500 gb seagate
gtx 460
antex ea500 d green

how many max fps can i get on this machine on max settings e.g in crysis or gta4
can i play more than medium settings?

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
so, m using gtx 460 that means i can get higher resolutions on 18.5" lcd??? isnt it?
actually i dont know what you are trying to say,

@bdcrlsn
hey please dont ask like that man. your reply must be like, you can play at highest resolution of ____ x ____ yeah. and i also wanna play at highest as possible. i wish i could play at 1080p
but what jyjjy saying 18.5" lcd cant handle this resolution.. or gpu is not capable of handling 1080p resolution on 18.5" lcd?
:S

LCD monitors are made up of a distinct number of screen elements(pixels) and they all have a native resolution which represents such. You can not effectively set an LCD higher than the native resolution as the screen simply does not have enough pixels to display it. A better video card will do nothing to allow your monitor to display more pixels than the screen contains. All it will do is allow you to more effectively play games at higher resolutions if you were to connect the card to an appropriate monitor. If you want to play at 1920x1080 you'll need to buy a 1920x1080(or higher) monitor. They are usually 22-24".

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I apologize if I offended you.

Most monitors below 19" can't do 1080p. Most max out at 1440x900 or 1366x768 (Widescreen) or 1280x1024.

If that's the case, then you should be fine in terms of FPS on the games you listed, though I would invest in more RAM in the future, because having 2GB will eventually hold you back on performance.

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
ohhh! every lcd got native pixels? never heard of it before :S using my old crt 17" would be better then? cuz is supports something like 1786x 992 ( currently its showing this) when i was using xp it show some thing like 2500x ---- ( dont know )

leave it,

which lcd should i buy? is there any lcd which supports higher resolution?
my budget for lcd is about 120 $ :S

one more thing please reply for this one plz

you said that lcd has a native resolution of 1440x900 or 1280x1024 i think its low, so playing with low resolution on 18.5" lcd means an increase in fps? plz reply for this one :(

Yeah, CRT monitors are different and have more flexible resolutions.
Looking up some 18.5" screens they all have a resolution of 1366x768 actually. A lower resolution means you don't need a high end video card. Less pixels means the card has to do less work to render the screen. 1366x768 = 1.05 million pixels while 1920x1080 = 2.07 million pixels.
A decently sized 1080p monitor for $120 is pretty rare so if you are in the US I suggest you jump on this deal while it is still around;
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2438346

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
it costs more than 150 $ in pakistan :( i cant afford it,
listen, what would you suggest? use crt or get new lcd 18.5 with low resolutions.

in lcd ( 18.5 ) i'll have bursted gameplay then? i think buying lcd like this is useless:( isnt it brother?

Yeah, if you are in Pakistan you are on your own looking for monitor deals. If your CRT is still functioning well and decent quality you might as well keep it. CRTs also have no issues with viewing angles like most LCDs(unless you spend a lot) so they are superior in that way. Response time of the display tends to be better as well. The main drawback of CRTs is they are huge, heavy and use a good amount more power. Check out the resolutions available on your screen in the Windows settings and see what the highest resolution is that will give you a decent refresh rate(70+).

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
@jyjjy
1786 x 992
its my current crt's highest resolution shown in display resolution settings, but when i choose the highest ( 1786 x 922 ) there were no display at all and a dialog box appears saying "Out of scan range" but its working on 1600 x 1200.

@ all
may be using my current 17" monitor will be a good deal instead of spending 150 $ and no gain with native resolutions & will i see any difference in 18.5" lcd at its highest resolution.

distance of my eyes from lcd would be 2.2 feets away from lcd or may be less. what do you guys suggest finally???

i have both options :
i can afford lcd of native resolutions
and i can also use my sony crt 17"

give me the final suggestions please.

1600x1200 is quite high really(1.92m pixels.) A real HD LCD would still be a lot better as the screen area would be much larger but that doesn't seem to be an option right now. The 18.5" won't be much of an upgrade there either so you might as well keep the CRT and save up some more money until you can afford a nice 23-34" 1080p display.

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Of course buy lcd.Crt will ruin your gaming experience.
I thought shops in pakistan only sell Ak47.Lol just a joke.

no problem brother i know its a joke, but its not worth .. they only say pak is a terrorist but i took birth here and i am 21 now, didnt see any thing like this..

sorry for the useless thread moderator hope u understand.

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
hey hey hey all
i am bot locked at 120 $ :S i can afford 18.5" lcd but it has low resolutions

now tell me what to choose?

my current crt monitor which is running on 1600 x 1200
or
lcd with low resolutions

lcd = 18.5"( any )
crt = 17" sony

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'd go for an LCD, get with the times :).

And as for your previous question, the lower the resolution, the less work your graphics card has to do, therefore the more frames it is able to render per second (more FPS). Higher resolution means more work to do, therefore less frames rendered per second (lower FPS). However higher resolution means nicer looking picture as higher resolutions are less prone to aliasing etc.

I guess noticing the FPS is all a personal thing...
For me i guess i'm super sensitive,i notice stuttering when it gets around 40fps.
Although i've talked with a sales rep in the GPU section at frys and he says games are playable at 30fps.
I like to idealy play at around 50+ thats when things get smooth and it starts to seem like a game instead of a computer.

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
ok thanks all

1 last question, am i forced to play at lcd's highest resolution? i understand that it cant be increase but would it decrease?

like others said you'll see bursted pixels in lcds comparing to crt so, whats the use of making gpu doing less work on less resolution to get higher frames.

I think 1 main advantage of using an LCD is they can display 720p HD.Don't know if CRT's can display in HD or not.

Using a smaller resolution means that you will have higher FPS and a higher chance at playing games with maxed out settings.

Their is no disadvantage of playing at the native(highest) resoultion of an LCD,since you would be playing at it's native theirs no reason you would loose any type of quality in displaying the image,the smaller the image the graphics card has to display the better FPS you will get...

edenkhan

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
ohh purple stand you have not got what i wanna know,
listen,
if i compare :

1 lcd of 18.5 inch and playing crysis (for example) at lcd's highest i-e 1024x768
and
1 crt of 17" and playing crysis on it at the same resolution. i would get better quality of picture in crt while gpu work less and same.

please give me a conclusion

if lcd is better than why? ( dont say its smaller in size wide or e.t.c )
and if crt is better for gaming than why?

what i think is that crt has better refresh rates and no ghosting at all but low in quality

where lcd has better quality but with ghosting, lower resolution which cause bursted pixels and low refresh rates.

i am talking about normal lcds for gaming not of that expensive one designed for gaming purpose.