Question at wit's end....New build, every game but CS GO crashes in 2-3 minutes

Nov 22, 2022
I've just recently built a new system with the best stuff I could afford at the time.

5800x
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
4 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance [ used from ebay ]
Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme [ used from ebay ]
EVGA 750 GQ gold rated PSU
Noctua NH-u12s cooler
1tb TeamGroup m.2 [ that't the only drive currently in the system with a 100gb windows partition ]
fresh windows install, no conflicting drivers should be present.

I have run the cpu bone stock with no xmp, nicely undervolted with pbo and the curve optimizer with and without xmp, latest nvidia drivers, latest chipset drivers, all windows updates completed.

CS GO runs fine and I can play all I want but any newer AAA titles after 3-4 minutes stutter then stop and it crashes to desktop. I have stability tested my gpu with furmark, the whole system with OCCT, prime95, cinebench r23 and everything seems to work fine. The system will complete unigine heaven with some slight stuttering but will crash in 3d mark everytime. I don't know what to do here. Please help. Crystal disk info checks out fine too. Please gimme some suggestions.

https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=799085 I was really thinking the gpu was faulty but it handles furmark fine. I even tried underclocking the gpu up to -200mhz with the same result.

-RBC-

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022
What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load? How full is your "100gb windows partition" and why did you choose to partition like that?

temps are fine. gpu tops out at 65c and cpu tops out at 82c stock and much less if optimized. as far as the windows partition it has 12gb left and as far as why I did it, idk man someone told me to do that a while back and so i did. full disclosure here, i'm no expert. i put this system together (my 2nd ever) I managed the cables and turned it on. I'm definitely no expert. I know enough to be dangerous. the last system I built was on Sandy Bridge. I'm guessing I should have not done that?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would suggest re-installing Windows with just a single partition on your 1TB SSD (delete all current partitions and let Windows configure for you). I would also run the CPU fully stock. Lets see if stable there before trying anything else.

Nov 22, 2022
I would suggest re-installing Windows with just a single partition on your 1TB SSD (delete all current partitions and let Windows configure for you). I would also run the CPU fully stock. Lets see if stable there before trying anything else.

I think you're probably right. I was trying to avoid that but I think thats the best bet.

Nov 22, 2022

Re-installed windows, same exact issue.
Currently running a one hour 3d standard gpu test on OCCT and am having no issues thus far. The card is at 100% load at about 65c and is churning through the test fine. It's pulling 300w.

I am on the latest nvidia drivers from the nvidia site. Latest chipset drivers direct from AMD. CPU temps are fine idles at around 40c and is currently 60c during this gpu stress test.

Nov 22, 2022
Sounds like the GPU may be failing. Do you have access to another GPU?

Do you know whether the thermal compound/pads on the GPU have ever been changed? Also, was it previously used for mining?

Sadly I don't have access to another GPU. I don't know if the thermal pads have ever been changed. I bought it from what looks to be a very reputable seller on Ebay and they claim it was stress tested prior to selling. That's all they sell apparently is refurbished video cards. It came in the original box, very clean. Here is the seller. I've sent him a message to see if hopefully I can exchange it.

https://www.ebay.com/str/wazno

According to his listed policy I've just missed the return window.

"Return Window Closed on Nov 13. "

Nov 22, 2022
Understood. Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. There is a small chance that could help.

yeah BIOS is latest. what's your estimation on the percentage that it's the GPU failing? I really don't want to but I might just go ahead and charge myself a new one. Or do you think it would be a better idea to find a cheap gpu and test to make sure that's it before going big on something new? Because if I buy a new card it's going to be much newer/more expensive than the 1080ti.