ata 100 and cd on controller

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I am looking at a new mobo and I have a question or two about the ata 100 and a cd player on the same controller. I prefer to have my player on one controller and my writer on the other which is fine for my current setup. (ata33) But as I understand ata 100 and 66 I will have a problem with the controller defaulting to the lowest capeable device (the cd) due to the cd not being ata 100. Is this true? The idea of having the cd writer on a seperate controller would seem to me to make sense to eliminate interruption but I would hate to have a ata 100 that defaults to 33. Can the two cds cohabitate on the same controller without errors in recording or is another (extra) hdd controller card be possible or necessary?

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

G

Your right there, the ATA bus will run at the speed of the slowest device on it and as such will slow down the HDD if it is there on the same channel. Go buy a cheap 2 channel ATA33 controler for the CDROM and CDR/W drive and hang them off of it on separate channels.

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Or get a cheap used SCSI controller and SCSI CD drives. SCSI is capable of running multiple devices simultaneouly, and the external connection gives you the oppertunity to connect an inexpensive and very fast scanner (far superior to USB in performance).

Suicide is painless...........