ATA 100 and cd-writers

mrtj

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
i have just bought a new tdk cd writer, i have a kt7 raid mb and the ata66 ide ports are all used, can i just connect this new writer to an ata 100 port or are some of the stories i heard true?

i know a cd-writer is a waste of ata 100 but i only have a maxtor 82gb using one end of a cable on one port. the other is completely free.

mrtj

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
nothing specific, just that it won't work properly etc. should i set the cd-r as master or slave? could i put it as slave to the master hard disk i have in the ata 100 now?

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For a single IDE device on one channel you could use only slave for CDROM drives. But if you have more than one CDROM drive in one channel it works for me that I put the CDRW as master and the normal CDROM drive as slave.

-------------
This site is cool.

G

Putting a CD RW on an ATA 100 channel with a hard drive should NOT be dome. the CD RW will restict the pathway to ATA 33 which will restrict a burst from a modern hard drive (possibly even a sustained transfer).

In short this will slow down your hard drive.

It sounds like you have another spare ATA 100 port. Your best bet would be to buy another IDE cable and attach the CD RW as the master on that channel.

"Alcohol - The Cause of and solution to all of lifes problems" - Homer Simpson

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Eh that's what he was talking about he was asking what he should do with his CDRW on the second channel :smile:

-------------
This site is cool.

mrtj

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
thanks for the opinions. i'll put it on it's own port. i am not planning on buying any new ide devices except maybe a new hd, but that can share with the other ata 100 hd.

thanks forum dwellers.