ExtreamChaozZ

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Hiya,

I am looking at picking up a power supply for my dads old Atari 2600 so we can get it up and working.
I have found out that i need a 100V - 240V ~ 50Hz 9W input and a DC 9V 500mA output.
I have found similar plugs with the correct input but the output is rated for 1A not 500mA (0.5A).

The old original Atari 2600 plugs are also unregluated which could also cause issues down the line if running at 1A.
What i would like to know is if i get a regulated power supply that is rated for 1A and not 500mA will the Atari 2600 be able to handle it without over heating instantly?

The Atari 2600 will only draw what it needs but i know that running at 1A over a long time could cause over heating issues on prolonged sessions, for how long im not sure.
But this could cause damage over time which im worried about as the unit hasn't been turned on for at least 30 years, not sure how long my dad has owned it. I know its in near mint condition though.

If you guy have any recommendations on power supplies or some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
If you able to find a regulated power supply that will work with the Atari 2600 then that would be amazing, it needs to have the UK adapter though.

Solution
Kind of contradicting yourself there.

1A power supply won't be putting more power into the Atari then it needs, and the power brick won't output 1A just because. That is a maximum output. Meaning that the the waste heat it generates while providing 1A is handled by its bulk/heat sinks. The Atari is the same way, it is rated as needing 500mA, so it will consume up to that, and its waste heat generated from doing the work can be handled by its bulk/heatsinks. If the Atari were to draw more power than usual, it would probably blow a fuse before anything seriously bad happens (maybe). Still it is fine to use oversized power supplies. Only when it is grossly oversized are there efficiency concerns.

Capacitors tend to dry up over time, most...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Kind of contradicting yourself there.

1A power supply won't be putting more power into the Atari then it needs, and the power brick won't output 1A just because. That is a maximum output. Meaning that the the waste heat it generates while providing 1A is handled by its bulk/heat sinks. The Atari is the same way, it is rated as needing 500mA, so it will consume up to that, and its waste heat generated from doing the work can be handled by its bulk/heatsinks. If the Atari were to draw more power than usual, it would probably blow a fuse before anything seriously bad happens (maybe). Still it is fine to use oversized power supplies. Only when it is grossly oversized are there efficiency concerns.

Capacitors tend to dry up over time, most everything else should be fine if it hasn't been exposed to a lot of moisture. Pre-emptively replacing the capacitors might be wise and you can probably find pre-made kits for that on Ebay, if you have any soldering experience.

Solution
I have found out that i need a 100V - 240V ~ 50Hz 9W input and a DC 9V 500mA output.
The most important part here is the polarity, you have to make sure that the positive and negative poles are correct, google images tells me that atari bricks are positive on the middle pole and negative/ground on the outside.
If you get one that is reversed it's gonna make a poof sound and you will witness the smoke of doom.

TRENDING THREADS