athlon classic to thunderbird

G

I've got Asus K7V (as opposed to K7V-T) motherboard (Slot A, VIA KX-133 chipset) with Athlon 500MHz processor. Due to my lack of computing knowledge, I have only recently realised that Slot A type processor is being gradually phased out by AMD, replaced by Socket A type. However, I also found out that there will be Slot A Thunderbird processors made available, I guess to make the transition from Slot A to Socket A less dramatic. My question then is
is it possible to use Slot A Thunderbird with my K7V motherboard without having to dish out more more to buy motherboard which I definitely know for sure will support Thunderbird?
Can someone please enlighten me on this?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
They phased the slot a athlons out almost a year ago dude.
Did you just recently buy this computer?

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what will you do with that slot A 500?

I'd say you keep that combo (might find a suitable customer who doesnt care about upgrades and is satisfied with this) and go for a socket A board and processor. you will have newer better hardware onboard. A Athlon Tbird 1.1 GHz with Asus A7A266 board is quite suitable for you.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

You can get a slot a thunderbird for about $52 (pricewatch), but it is not recommended for use with the kx133 chipset. It may or may not work with a bios upgrade from asus. I suggest you find someone to help you install a new motherboard cpu combo, or get a pc kit that is pretested and burned in and comes with a new case and power supply. Save your money until you can afford the 1.4 athlon kit. It is only $230 plus shipping.

G

Yep, thanks for reminding me... I built the system about two years ago, thinking that all I had to from then on was to buy a new faster CPU... How mistaken I was... since then I have never followed the development until a few weeks ago.

"Life is like monkeys on a tree"

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'm at about the same place you are. i'm still on my 550 classic, i'm looking for an upgrade (can't afford a new rig right now). most online sites don't put their older stuff on their pages. you might come accross a classic if you e-mail a few webmasters and ask them if they've got any. also check out your local stores, not big places like fry's or anything, but the little localy owned dealers.

**these two: :mad: :mad: want you to <b>CHANGE THE SIG OF THE WEEK!!</b> :mad: :mad:

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh, I see another victim of the "AMD easy upgrade path and platform longevity" myth. LOL!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Makaveli

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
MEltDown go Troll somewhere else BIATCH!
If u dislike AMD so much why don't you go to there head office and Protest! You'll get more attention that way then Troll posting no one cares here!