Athlon vs GeForce

G

I have a custom athlon system.
700 mhz
FIC SD11
128 Mb
Annhilator Pro GeForce

My ? is in the middle of fairly intence graphics modes my puter will just restart. I am using the newest Det. 3 Drivers right now. One idea I have is that i have a generic 19" monitor with the plug and play windows driver selected. I have also heard that there is power conflicts with the chip vs the Graphics Card. If anyone has any advice please help

Diablo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What is your PSU rating? This looks to me that this is definitly a power problem (although heat can play a role too). Did you overclock your cpu? ...

:cool: Visit me at <A HREF="http://casemod.tripod.com" target="_new">http://casemod.tripod.com</A> :cool:

G

Im sorry i dont know what a PSU rating is and no i did not overclock my CPU

G

PSU is your power supply size (watts). Keep in mind the Athlon and geforce require a large amount of power. Most Athlon users recommend a 300w power supply.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can find the rating by opening the case and read the labels on the unit where they are man wires protuding out :smile:

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm leaning more towards the motherboard. FIC motherboards are known for not being the best in the world. Your monitor would not just restart your computer. I am definately betting on your FIC motherboard. I say this from expereince. I was one of the first athlon users and the FIC motherboard was the only one out. my mistake...FIC mobo's stink!!

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I once, a long time ago had a FIC 503+ and it really, <i>really</i> is rated the worst motherboard I've ever own. Poor expandability, performance, stability. Anyway I am not really against those mobos so give it a try. They usually improve over time.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I see you've come up to the conclusion that what is happenning is some malfunction in the motherboard. I would like to point out that my friend has a 700 athlon (not t-bird) with 3d prophet card. The company that sold him the system gave him a 235W power supply unit. His system is running smoothly even though he discovered that one of the fans of the athlon heat sink was broken and the heat sink on the geforce partially popped out (because he moves his machine a lot to play on LAN with a couple of friends). This has been a long post so far so bear with me please, is the 300W thing absolutely necessary given that combination or is it just being on the safe side? Do you think he might have some problems in the future?

G

This could be due to a couple of problems. First off, make sure that you have the most up to date motherboard drivers. I think though, that this is most likely a power problem. In the event of a power problem, your system will just shut off. Your vid card and CPU draw even more power when working in intensive programs, such as in the ones you say they occur in. Athlons usually take around 60-65 watts and the geforce card around another 30-35 easily. Depending on the power, you could be using half of the power allowance on just the two pieces, while you still have to power all of your other PCI cards, the RAM and any other system component. Check into getting a 300 watt power supply, which is enough for most athlon-geforce users (unless you have 5+ PCI slots filled and are using SCSI).

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree, the power supply is the most likely culprit and you can replace it for under $40 with a 300watt supply.
It could also be the det.3 drivers which suck and crash my computer constantly. Try the original drivers that came with the video card. Hopefully a new version of the det3 drivers will be coming out soon.
I don't agree that all FIC motherboards suck. I have one in my work system and it has been rock stable since I got it. My Asus has been problematic--go figure.

James

G

Thanks all. I think that my power supply was the issue and just purchased one for 28 bucks including shiping. I was running a 250 watt, now I'll have a 300. Hope this works.

Sir Muerto