ATI 4870 X2 - where to install adjacent cards?

rhugga

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I have an ATI 4870 X2 in a gigabyte X48T-DQ6. I have 1 PCIe slot directly above it and 1 PCIe slot directly below it. When I install a PCIe card (for example - the ASUS sound card which is a full length card), it leaves about 1/8 inch clearance between it and my video card.

My question, do I install it above the video card which means it covers the backplane of my video card. (thus covering the underside if the GPU's)

If I put it below the video card it covers most of the video card right up to the fan intake. (So I don't think air intake would be affected) I was planning on putting another fan of some sort blowing upwards towards my video card to help cool the beast but putting a PCIe card below my video card would not let me do this -- would it?

Where should I install it?

Thanks for any info..
-CC

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
is the third x1 slot taken?

Edit: Nevermind, i answered my own question, the 3rd slot is probably the bottom one you refer to, with the 2nd being blocked by the X2(more than likely)

I'd say below, i hear the rear of the 4800 series is pretty damn hot.

rhugga

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Sorry my post was misleading.. The ATI card covers the middle x1 slot so the only two available are the outside 2. (top/left most and bottom/right most)

-CC

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Put it in the bottom slot. It shouldn't come close enough to the intake to actually block it.

Try to avoid using the top slot. 4870 has been tested by benchmarkers to reach almost 100C under stress, at a high 70% fan speed. I doubt a X2 with 2 gpus will run any cooler.
http://en.expreview.com/2008/06/24/first-review-hd-4870-and-hd-4850/6/
While the gpu can tolerate that heat, your sound card most likely can't. You don't want to have the heat rise from underside of the gpu and toast that sound card.