unknown_66

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
specsck.jpg

5800c.jpg

^^ Why? I'm seeing around 295ish performance. Not a bad increase, but not nearly as much as the double performance some people speculated.

Of course, I'll be glad to take you're 295 off you're hands if you're serious :D

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008

The 5870 it will be around 20% faster than the GTX295, and if I sell my GTX295 the 5870 is not going to cost me to much.

lorik

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Obviously I'd be surprised if 5870x2 would bottlneck in Pci-e 1.x .ATI should seriously consider going pass 250gb/s I mean it deffinetly wont be a nice move.

G

nv cant lose in this battle, they will do anything they can to be the first, they just cant be in the second place. Intel and Nvidia will always be better than Amd and Ati im not prefer any of these but that is a fact.

jerohmeee

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

When is the 5870x2 coming out? The same time as the rest of them on the 22nd?

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Intel and Nvidia will always be better than Amd and Ati im not prefer any of these but that is a fact.

dohoho, AMD and ATI have beaten their competitors several times in the past. Die hard fanboy detected.

Nvidia probably will have a faster GPU since the're going for the monster die approach again, but ATI will probably have the performance crown since it's doubtful that Nvidia could do a dual GPU card based on current G300 rumors.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Most high end cards are poor sellers, it's for the enthusiasts and bragging rights. Like the initial 8 series had an absolutely awesome high end but the mid and low end lineup was complete crap, yet people still bought 8600GTs (and still are buying) since Nvidia was out pacing ATI in the high end.

Dual GPU cards make sense since they offer a model with higher performance without the R&D / production costs of making an entirely new GPU and don't require a crossfire / SLI mobo.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Sure the dual GPU is a poor seller, or at least not as many as the 5870, there is still a market for it. It is called the enthusiast segment. This segment will purchase regardless of the insane price (of course to some degree), that means that they can afford to sell less and still cover the cost of R&D. Moreover, how much would they cost to really R&D anyway? They have done 3870x2 and 4870x2, so they can easily do a 5870x2 at a very low cost.

G

who has the the best card he has the market because many people ask what card is better...because that is important that battle for the enthusiast segment. nv just cant be at the second place remember that...and the high end cards dictate the price of all segments...

Add to that...

GF6, GF7.... which were both slower than their later counterparts but about even at launch.

nVidia wasn't the top end of the pile until the GF8, before that it was the GF4.

Except..... when used in SLI, and thus the reason for the dual GPU cards which as mentioned is primarily for the Halo effect, and which is very effective, hence all the effort spent on SLi and Xfire, etc.

If nV can't get the G300 on a single slot (which seems a safe bet for the launch die until they shrink the process), then you will likely once again see ATi having something in the lead from top to bottom, like they did once the 4870X2 was launched.

The most important thing is how long it takes nV to get their mid-range DX11 out, and from the looks of things, that may be late Q1 or early Q2 2010.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Nvidia WILL NOT allow ATi to have the video card crown. They always find a way to produce the fastest card.
The problem is that their mid range card always fail in the price to performance ratio.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I did. My comment wasn't meant to be read as if it was going on forever, but as of right now. It might have been an ego thing, but once nvidia got back the crown with the 8800 Ultra and GTX, it seems as if their goal is to remain there and forgot about the main stream pricing and performance ratio.

Except that they lost it again with the HD4870X2, and were out of top spot for 6 months, so it's not like they haven't lost that in recent history too.

This time it's unlikely a dual-GPU 295-esque G300 is anywhere on the horizon to help against the HD5870X2, and I'm doubtful a single G300 will beat that.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Don't get me wrong, this time I think ATi made Nvidia actually develop new technology to be able to beat them this gen., hence the slow development.

As TGGA said, it took them 6 months to beat the 4870x2, so there is no telling IF or how long it would take them to make a 5870x2 killer.

My only point was that while they are trying to produce the video card King, they are loosing the main stream battle.

They will try to kill the HD5870, just like ATi tried to make the G80 killer in the HD3870X2 and failed (in most people's opinion [including mine]). But that's not the same as not allowing them to be king, they will sure try to keep them from remaining King, but from what we've seen over the past few days, they are about to become king, and if there is no G300GX2 then they will likely stay there for a while.

IMO if they don't beat it out of the box with the G300 (which is still very possible), then they likely won't bring anything multi-gpu to market fast enough to beat the HD5870x2 before ATi brings their own replacement/refresh to market.

And you're right about them losing the mainstream battle. which I mentioned in my reply to Tubo; think about the fact that there is STILL no mid-range offspring of the G200 series, so it's hard to think that they are going to have any G300 mid-range parts until a while afterwards, leaving ATi alone in that market for anyone not wanting an Geforce FX-like future for their card.