ATI and PhysX Co-exist on the Nintendo Wii

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
So this means its not running on the GPU...I'm sure Nvidia didnt include that in their press release! Its the same with the PS3, its running on the Cell, not the Nvidia GPU.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Why are u running a 9800 gt on an i7, I'd at least get the top-end 9000 series card for that. My coworker is debating getting a 260 core216 or an ati 4870 for his. That seems more like it. Sounds like you might want to get a 9800 gtx+ and use the 9800 gt as the physx card. I may SLI 9800 gtx+'s one day, not too concerned with physx since not many games support it and I don't have any games that do.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]hairycat101[/nom]I'm not saying that the scientific community gets nothing from folding, I was saying that those who dedicate their computers to folding get very little in return.[/citation]
Community service, Goodwill, neighborhood watch, PTA, volunteer rescue/fire departments, Salvation Army, etc., see a trend? Not everything in life warrants a return in a monetary way, you do it to lend a helping hand, pitch in for the better, sacrifice for the greater good, or because someone wants to try and make a difference. Everyone has their reasons for doing some of the things above. Now F@H is minuscule in comparison, but it's the same concept that drives it.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Kind of funny how when it was Ageia PhysX, no one wanted it, now that Nvidia owns them, everyone is signing up.[/citation]

The fact that we had to buy an addon card specifically for that vs. using power from a card already in our machine, I think it makes perfect sense.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Nice freebie for Wii owners and good news for Nvidia. PhysX is superior to Havok and both are considered middleware so it's silly to praise Havok over PhysX especially since it's owned by Intel which is the greater evil of the two companies from a consumer standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.