ATI Catalyst 10.4 Preview Driver Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
how about amdkmdap errors? or my inability to play browser games because of 2d and 3d problems? or freezing up when i alt+tab from WoW to thottbot? OH and maybe updating flgrx to include the 5k series?

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
when is the 2d issue going to be fixed? they said it was simple driver issue... i thought 10.4 was supposed to hve that fix? is it 10.5 or 10.6 now? i thought we only had to wait till may to have it fixed :p i cant sand it, that 2d issue plus the 2 monitor issue makes it really bad, the expand desktop mode causes that 2d issue to be really big, only fix really is to run at like 300/1200 (max ram speed) on 5870 the ram clock throttling is the main issue that causes flickering/tearing and freezes in things like playing HD content, or any app that causes the gpu to throttle up from idle and at times to 3d speeds

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I applied the patch, even though I don't play the game, nor do I have a 5xxx card. I rule so hard.

Seriously though, good fix, but overal depth of the driver update seems lacking.

jinx5000

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
will this ever become a permanent update or is it just going to be a preview? is it still under construction? and if so, when can we expect it to be completed and supported by AMD?

loud_sounds

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I second the desire for enhanced 2D performance for applications like CAD. Although I just had a thought, if they improve consumer cards performance, no-one will buy the professional workstation series cards. Perhaps that's why we aren't allowed more performance.....

Judguh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Is it really necessary, AMD, to release a driver update to fix something for just ONE game??? Really? I'm sure there's plenty of other things to work on, like... lower power comsumption, gaining better efficiency, or even better - release a driver update (I believe like the 10.3 one) which told customers with a 4800 and 5xxx series video card that they made the right choice when buying your cards because of a free driver update that gave them more performance out of existing hardware.

/vent

cmaki2008

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
lol i agree with drutort when watching anything hd even in media player i see like a line go up and down like its a old tv or something of that sort i thought it was AA or something isn't a 5770 supposed to run bf2 better then a ps3 ? because it isn't on my cpu with these driver bugs its hilarious got the fastest amd processor (not overclocked) 4gb 1333 ram windows 7 64 bit and it still runs slower then my ps3 i wss looking forward to getting back into cpu gaming but this is just depressing the ps3's got half the memory! GRRR!!

dmpco

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
works great cut loading time in half. now ea just needs to fix the ctd (crash to desktop) problem while playing online

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]al2suarez[/nom]AMD/ATI FIX THE FLICKER PROBLEM!!![/citation]
Some flickering is vendor specified, like certain models of Gigabyte.
Also follow the instructions of ATI to correctly fix the flickering.
many people just slap the driver and want instant solution!.

also remember! this is a PREVIEW(hotfix) driver. done to fix certain bugs with a speed up release.

al2suarez

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
many people just slap the driver and want instant solution!.

The flickering problem has been around since late last year with the 5xxx series. Why has it taken AMD/ATI that long to fix. When in communications with Sapphire they directed me to AMD/ATI and they just said to RMA it. I've had Sapphire's 4890 -no problem, in single mode and in SLI-, Sapphire's 5850 -FLICKERING, 1st time RMAed 2nd time opted for Refund-, and ASUS' 5870 -FLICKERING-. If I pay for a top video card you bet your tamales that I want instant solution!

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
What about load times on the 4xxx? :/ My 4890 is taking forever to load even though my system runs great (70-80 average at high res)

jezza333

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
[citation][nom]annisman[/nom]Ah, can't wait to get in these games faster, any word on a crossfire flickering fix from these ? And yes, some people still have that issue.[/citation]

They have a CrossFire profile available, which fixed the flickering problem for me. Give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.