ATI Catalyst 10.7a Beta Adds AA in StarCraft 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Downloaded it, tried it, SC2 now kicks the snot out of my Radeon HD 2400. My Radeon HD 4870 runs it like a champ. Wish I had a 5xxx series... *sigh*

Props to the ATI team at AMD, good job.

G

Huh ?
Didn't the ATI CC or the Nvidia Control Panel already have the ability to add anti aliasing to ANY Direct3D application ? I always do that on old apps in nvidia control panel...

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]MaulBC[/nom]Huh ?Didn't the ATI CC or the Nvidia Control Panel already have the ability to add anti aliasing to ANY Direct3D application ? I always do that on old apps in nvidia control panel...[/citation]

Doesn't always work well. Nvidia has a similar thing that I tried and it didn't work. Had to wait for latest drivers to actually support the game and even then they're not tweaked for it.

jakmove

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Can't wait to get these downloaded, and the game installed. Also waiting for my second 5770. It's gonna be a good week!

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Why do they call these minor release changes BETA? Are they actually BETA testing these drivers or are they just 10.7 with these fixes making it 10.7a

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]mrecio[/nom]Why do they call these minor release changes BETA? Are they actually BETA testing these drivers or are they just 10.7 with these fixes making it 10.7a[/citation]
My guess is they are still Beta because they are so new (with SCII not yet a week old). I agree though, if this is just a minor release, calling it 10.7a and leaving it at that would have been fine.

P.S.: Toms, you caused the AMD website to report some sort of "leeching" error. Those links don't work anymore.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]just need this for my 8800gt now![/citation]

save a dollar a day and i bet you will have enough money for a nice ATI card before NVIDIA upgrades their drivers.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]MaulBC[/nom]Huh ?Didn't the ATI CC or the Nvidia Control Panel already have the ability to add anti aliasing to ANY Direct3D application ? I always do that on old apps in nvidia control panel...[/citation]
I believe in both the Catalyst and nVidia Control Panel apps, you can force many things - among them VSync and AA. I haven't tried it on SC2, though. I will probably tonight - the lack of AA is pretty bad, even at 1680x1050.

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Is it just me or is anyone else getting a message saying "We're sorry, but this download request cannot be authorized." and it gives links to the regular 10.7 driver? Can't seem to find the 10.7a anywhere.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mrecio[/nom]save a dollar a day and i bet you will have enough money for a nice ATI card before NVIDIA upgrades their drivers.[/citation]
huh? nvidia updates their drivers 50 times more often then ATI.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]huh? nvidia updates their drivers 50 times more often then ATI.[/citation]
That's pretty damn often considering ATI does pretty much monthly driver releases. When your company is doing more then one driver update per day (based on your numbers) then that is NOT a good thing, just mean incomplete or buggier drivers.

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Do the ATI Catalyst controls allow forced Ambient Occlusion in games like HL2 ep2, TF2, Bioshock, etc.. like Nvidia's control panel? Being a CG artist I love the look of AO, subtle as it is. To the contrary of most gamers, the option would make or break me switching back to ATI in the future even though they've gotten just about everything else right this generation.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
They both release drives at about the same time according to the place i DL drivers from(nvidia slightly faster overall looks like), i was obviously joking about it being 50 times more.(or maybe not so obviously)

Regardless if you saved up between driver updates you would have about 25 dollars, which still makes Mrecio's comment completely wrong.

Oh and please don't even talk about buggy drivers both ati and nvidia hell every company that releases drivers have had buggy releases.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Does anybody cares?[/citation]

True... but since SC2 supports both Win and OSX.... there is always a hope for linux community to get a hand on the new SC2... which may never happen... but never hurt to hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.