ATI Catalyst driver install on Windows 7 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobaal

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I have a XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 (4-5 days old).

Today I installed Windows 7 and everything seemed to run perfectly. It seemed that it installed some driver for my GPU, but I wanted to install ATI Catalyst. The problem was/is it gets stuck at 20% overall progress during ATI Display Driver install and just runs to 100% in the current install over and over again. Windows then tells me new hardware is detected and once in a while the monitor unplugs and replugs. I have tried to install it 4 times now. Same thing over and over again. Before (3rd time) I was about to write this post, but then my monitor unplugged and did not replug so I had to start over again. When I came back to windows it seemed no GPU driver was installed. Resolution was very low and it did not detect names on my monitors.

So here I am, with 800x600 resolution, stuck with no driver.. Anyone have the slighest idea how to fix this? Don't say install XP or Vista ... I have already formatted 4 times the last 2 days ... :/

- cobaal

Wolfshadw

Titan
What does it say in Device Manager under Display Adapters (Start --> Control Panel --> Device Manager)?

If your graphics card is listed there, then uninstall the currently installed drivers. Then go to WindowsUpdate to install. Look specifically for ATI Drivers.

If your graphics card is not listed there, Run a scan for hardware changes. It should find the device and attempt to load drivers for it. Go ahead and let it. Then go to AMD's Driver page and download ONLY Catalyst Control Center.

btw, I'm running Windows 7 and an ATI Radeon 4650.

-Wolf sends

mandyr0cks

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi i just got my windows 7 today & i have experianced probems with the dispaly setting jumping back & forth to low to high. what i did was hit ctrl,+alt+delete to go to main sign off area then clicked cancel to take me back to my desk top. then it showed back to normal.
it did ask me before i install windows 7 upgrade to uninstall the ATI CATALYST Install Manager. so i did except part of it i forgot. maybe its because u didint uninstall the ATI CATALYST Install Manager before u installed the windows 7. because it did say if u dont uninstall the ATI CATALYST Install Manager then it might not work properly. it should have told u during the windows 7 capabilty running the install.

I hope this works for you.. maybe what u will need to do is do a system recovery or some how make it back to your previous windows then make sure u uninstall what it ask you too before proceeding to install windows 7.

beeblebrox

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

I just installed 7 on a new/virgin HP desktop with an ATI 4650 and I can't see the card and Catalyst won't install. How do I get Windows to even see that the card is installed? How do I "run a scan" for hardware changes?

tommyvas43

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
From what i see here i'm not the only one with catalyst installing or updating i
ssues here l(we're never alone when comes to driver problems)lol.
In my case i'm running windows 7 64-bit with ATI Radeon 5970 graphics card and each time i'm trying to update the catalyst?a second after the installation starts it frozes up my pc.
I hope there's many of us with the same problem out there otherwise i don't see AMD fixing that problem in the near future,lets hope some hot fix will come out soon cause i'm tired uninstalling everything be4 or go on safe mode each time i wants to update something.

If your graphics card is listed there, then uninstall the currently installed drivers. Then go to WindowsUpdate to install. Look specifically for ATI Drivers.

If your graphics card is not listed there, Run a scan for hardware changes. It should find the device and attempt to load drivers for it. Go ahead and let it. Then go to AMD's Driver page and download ONLY Catalyst Control Center.

btw, I'm running Windows 7 and an ATI Radeon 4650.

-Wolf sends[/quotemsg]

tommyvas43

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Cobaa like i said previously?not much you can do about it,only wait and hope that AMD will come out with a hot fix soon.
Also if you try to send through your catalyst control center help thingy information about your problem?it frozes up too as well,i'm glad to say that in my case if i restart my pc is still how was (previous status)be4 try to install/update the new catalyst.My advice to you will be go on safe mode and install the new catalyst drivers is it the 10.2?just do that and dunnot mess with it ever again unless a hot fix comes out or an update that has been taking cared of that problem.

Today I installed Windows 7 and everything seemed to run perfectly. It seemed that it installed some driver for my GPU, but I wanted to install ATI Catalyst. The problem was/is it gets stuck at 20% overall progress during ATI Display Driver install and just runs to 100% in the current install over and over again. Windows then tells me new hardware is detected and once in a while the monitor unplugs and replugs. I have tried to install it 4 times now. Same thing over and over again. Before (3rd time) I was about to write this post, but then my monitor unplugged and did not replug so I had to start over again. When I came back to windows it seemed no GPU driver was installed. Resolution was very low and it did not detect names on my monitors.

So here I am, with 800x600 resolution, stuck with no driver.. Anyone have the slighest idea how to fix this? Don't say install XP or Vista ... I have already formatted 4 times the last 2 days ... :/

- cobaal[/quotemsg]

Urkexxx

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Hey guys,I`m having a similiar problem.

I`m a wow player and I do have 4870X2 on my computer and win 7 as well. Only recently I have installed win 7 and the last drivers from ati web site to it to run with it.However since about 2-3 days ago my computer started going mental.If I try to log into WoW my computer will freeze,I`ll get a black screen following it and then it`ll appear that my monitor is unpluged.I`ll reset the computer and quite often won`t be able to get into windows at all.Sometimes I won`t be able to get into MS DOS even.During this my coolers on my computer will start to work insane.I`ve reinstalled the drivers like 10x still the same problem.The biggest worry I`m having if it might be a hardware problems or is it just a software issue.While I had XP installed I had no issues with the graphics card asside from overheating.But I removed those decoration plastic of it,cleaned it up and got an additional cooler to keep the card cool.
Plz help me out,I`m going mental here and am about to torch the card completely.

P.S.
Excuse my bad spelling.

Urkexxx

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
I should probably add that if I shut down the computer for a few moments I`ll be able to get into windows and then I`ll get a notification about windows not beeing able to start properly and the problem signature is BlueScreen.I don`t know if this helps at all but that`s what`s going.I`m not even 100% sure this is my graphics card issue and if it ain`t I apologize for posting to the wrong place but a lot of things point out to my card.As well once or two times I menaged to spam ESC button and get out of WoW loging screen.Coming back to desktop I`d get a notification in the taskbar saying:"Ati display driver failed to work(or sumething) but has recovered from the problem"

mylifeistwilight

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I also am a wow player and having a black border surrounding my loading screen/map. Also my game resolution is not the same from what it used to be, so i am basically having a resolution issue. I downloaded windows 7 on my toshiba thru that free disk they give you and i had to uninstall my ati catalyst manager, when i search it under files, there is no manager but when i goto control panel its there, but there is nothing under it at all. I feel like a huge noob but any ideas? (ATI Radeon 3100 series)

G

to most of you that are havin driver issues i found my (apparently latest) driver for my grafix on ati's website noticed the date was sometime in 2009 thought id check my computers website in this case it was dell fount there was a much later driver out installed it came up as installed but with warnings viewed the log couldn see n e errors so tried the install again install was successful everythin works fine so far running my computer through hdmi atm but cant seem to open the catalyst programme n e suggetiond would b a gr8 help thanks

rogue5150

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
System: Dell XPS 710, Radeon 5870, Win 7 Ultimate 32bit, new install

Symptom: Cannot install any version of the Catalyst drivers after clean Win 7 install. Installer unpacks, launches Catalyst installer, and right during the initial "Detect hardware", the system BSOD's.

Solution: Physically remove soundblaster X-Fi card. Catalyst (any version 9x-10.3a) now installs perfectly on Windows 7.

Untried solution: Maybe I could have BIOS-disabled the slot the soundblaster was sitting in.

airblazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Has this exact same issue and couldn't install catalyst.
Eventually I found a way to resolve.
Run the catalyst driver again...this time instead of "install" select "uninstall".
This will run and will come back with "no ati components found". Hit ok to close.
What this seems to do is reset the installation. Now go to install again and this time select install and it will work fine. It did throw up an error about hardware detection but so far everything is running smoothly on my Win7 machine.

leon2006

Distinguished
rog5150

Your issue seems to be IRQ related or IRQ conflict. One way is to move the xfi card to another slot. Or you have to go to bios to reassign IRQ assignments.

IRQ verification at Windows:
At windows go to device Manager then view by resource connection. The list will provide you with the IRQ and the hardware associated with it. If you have IRQ issues you will see yellow flags on that IRQ/hardware.

IRQ related issues are commonly interpreted as un-detected hardware. A quick solution is move it(video card) to another slot or move the other hardware(i.e. sound card, HDTV Tuner) to another slot. Bios will allow you to re-assign IRQ if you can't resolve it by moving hardware to another slot.

Good Luck

Chult

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Im having a strange issue. I'm a WOW player, and generally speaking, everything works fine. But about once a week, my graphics begin to get choppy, shortly followed by my computer locking up. It then goes to a blue screen stating that my computer is doing a memory dump to protect itself, and says I may have a problem with recently installed hardware, as well as something about turning BIOS shadow paging off. Once the computer restarts, it works fine again, but I wanted some advice to fix this issue as opposed to waiting and something bad ending up happening.
I have the latest Catalyst version installed, and my drivers appear to be up to date.
Catalyst version 10.6
ATI Radeon HD 5700 series
Using Win 7

Any help would be appreciated.

elliah

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
i've tried two ati cards: xfs hd 5830 and xfs hd 5830 and when loading catalyst it freezes the whole pc at the analysing stage. i'm trying to install catalyst version 10.7. my specs are as follows: intel i7-930 with gigabyte x58-ud3r mobo, running win7pro 64bit.
does anyone have a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.