ATI FirePro RG220 Shares GPU on Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
That's amazing. This could completely revolutionize how large-scale businesses operate.

It'd be a cool service to offer to have "server farms" with these cards, and you pay for access to said farms.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]Would you like some graphics card with your heat sink sir?[/citation]

*facepalm*

It's passively cooled. What do you expect?

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Very cool concept. Would allow very easy evolution to cloud computing. It allows workstations only need an igp based solution for local video, while having the render cards in a massive server farm. This would also allow remote access very likely through VPN networking I'm guessing so you'd be able to do your rendering work from a home based pc if needed.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]Would you like some graphics card with your heat sink sir?[/citation]

[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]*facepalm* It's passively cooled. What do you expect?[/citation]

facepalm to you sir, he obviously meant it as a joke, given that the heatsink covers practically all the PCB, the joke makes perfect sense.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
This would be great for places that have very low budget workstations at people's desk but have occasional need for high powered graphics on things like 3D AutoCAD etc. You could reserve on of those cards only for times when you need it and then release it to your co-workers.

As someone who has need of this I approve =)

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
thumbs up! we use pcoip already. evga has already had a solution just like this for quite some time now. we actually use just the host card portion of evga's pcoip technology and use samsung's 19" monitor (they also have a very cool 24") with pcoip built in for the portal side of things. very cool stuff. only thing is you need a 1gbps connection (just check my posts on evga's forum). anywho, it's good to see AMD coming to the party and id love to see how it stacks up to evga's card (128MB XDR Memory, 300Mhz GPU Clock Speed, 400Mhz Memory Clock Speed). good times if you are an IT admin. if anyone is wondering how powerful this stuff is well, you can play modern warfare 2 over a network cable. granted, at 1440x900 (instead of 1920x1200) and no aa or af. STILL, it was really cool gaming on my desktop in the other room. peace.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]amazing! how many work stations can it support?[/citation]

this solution is a 1to1. (even with dual monitor support)

amd says in a future driver release you can out more cards in the server and host more workstation. screw that, mainly because teradici is working on a 1 to many solution (via software) but you need vmware view. still in beta form. works great for us (server rack at each location, network to front desk). basically, a mini data center at each of our stores. once they get the 1 to many working and they can deliver on the promise of software rendering of directx without a GPU, then we can truly have 1 main datacenter hosting all of our clients. good times. all in all, you'd still use the portal (evga portal or a samsung monitor with pcoip integrated) but you wouldnt even need these host cards.

rigaudio

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]liquid0h[/nom]Why does this remind me of the old dummy terminals?[/citation]
Because it is. But for the FUTURE.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
This is a great solution for smaller businesses that can't afford to give each of their employees a high powered graphics chip for 3d modeling. This is a great first step and can definitely see it becoming more popular as drivers and multiple station support improves.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I like the idea of networked GPU's.
Hook up a netbook to a 10Gigabit line on some router, and start using playing Crysis on that 10.1" baby from the 5770 in my main rig.

But yeah... I see the potential for local based cloud computing with something like this.
I build a massive rig with a 6 core Phenom, and throw in two 5970's, and then host a LAN with everyone on their little notebooks with Intel IGP's, using the graphical horsepower of my rig.
Apartment building that has gigabit fibre optic net for all residents, and access to a large supply of networked GPU's too. That would be awesome.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
So if I get it correctly, this is a KVM extender where the transmitter is built into the gfx card?
I wonder what solution there is if the monitor that I want to connect desn't support PCoIP. There must be a receiver box or something to connect on the other side?

cbrei10213

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Very excited to see something like this emerging. I dont see any application in the gaming area for this yet, but maybe in the future. Pretty awesome though.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
again, it's a 1 TO 1 solution. you can't host lan parties with it. you still have to supply the "big beefy rig" for the clients. if you have ever used a KVM extender then you know the massive benefits of using this instead.

all in all, its not for gaming.

it's for the business world.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]So if I get it correctly, this is a KVM extender where the transmitter is built into the gfx card?I wonder what solution there is if the monitor that I want to connect desn't support PCoIP. There must be a receiver box or something to connect on the other side?[/citation]

you'd want the evga portal. been out longer, lots of good firmware updates. because we use touch screens we cant use the samsung monitor in some instances. that's what the portal is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.