ATI Issues Fix for Grey Screening 5800 Series

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I've had problems with Intel, ATI, and Nvidia drivers. None of the companies are perfect, just some people get lucky with their hardware.

It's the way it goes.

wajkaj

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Only had stripes once, when i was tuning my overclocked I7 920 to 3.7 Ghz HT=on on a Gigabyte EX58-UDR3 board. After i raised the ram-voltage to 1.6 V, set Load-Line Calibration to enabled and Vcore to 1.20 volt , it never happend again. Also my Sapphire HD5850 is overclocked to 775/1125. I am not sure, but could it be that the combination of PSU, Motherboard, Bios and Graphic-card can be a problem. Also i have tried different Catalyst versions. Nothing bad happened. And i have build this computer 3 months ago, running on Windows 7/32 ultimate and never failed on anything. Hope that others will have there problems solved as soon as possible.

akoegle

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Onyx2291, I'm getting cursor artifacting as well. Which was happening before the "hotfix". The fix has done nothing for me so far.

G

This fixes the vertical lines not artifacts problem, if your getting artifacts, that means you have a bad card and need an rma.

G

No artifacting for me but the fix did not fix anything, still getting vertical lines even after cleaning the old drivers off. Pulled my 5870 out and put my 4870 back in. Re-downloaded the drivers for my 4870 and no longer get vertical lines but games still randomly crash or I get blue-screens of death. Windows 7 64bit.

akoegle

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
yea cursor artifacting. It splits the cursor in half and displaces the peices side to side and also gives a black box when in windows environment

G

xfx 5870 xxx version.

i thought it fixed it. put still happens

john_doe

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
try to underclock th card using overdrive from the catalyst menu
i set it to 500 for the gpu and 1000 for the memory
now i can play fallout3 without crashing after 10 min. i'll try to increase timing as it goes. i hope it will work for you too.

adribhel

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
ATi probably just wants to ensure the cards don't destroy themselves and that the cards are useable. This is why the "hotfix" isn't all gold. It's good to see that ATi at least does something and are probably releasing a real fix along with the regular catalyst update within 1-2 months.

adribhel

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
ATi probably just wants to ensure the cards don't destroy themselves and that the cards are useable. This is why the "hotfix" isn't all gold. It's good to see that ATi at least does something about it and are probably releasing a real fix along with the regular catalyst update within 1-2 months.

G

Didn't fix the issues with my RMAed 5800. Still gray screens galore in WoW.

eknihy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
trying to pay attention to this issue since the beginning, I just realized something, specs of systems having this issues, if people list them, are always (or almost always) Intel 5x series chipset and (almost) always when somebody says he is running stable is 3x, 4x series, I am not saying that chipset is buggy, but what about some compatibility issues ?
(I myself run HD 5770 Vapor-X with Q9550 and P45 with no issues, although I run multi-monitor so GPU idle clock is 400/1200)

Can someone either confirm or deny my immediate feelings about it ?

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]eknihy[/nom]trying to pay attention to this issue since the beginning, I just realized something, specs of systems having this issues, if people list them, are always (or almost always) Intel 5x series chipset and (almost) always when somebody says he is running stable is 3x, 4x series, I am not saying that chipset is buggy, but what about some compatibility issues ?(I myself run HD 5770 Vapor-X with Q9550 and P45 with no issues, although I run multi-monitor so GPU idle clock is 400/1200)Can someone either confirm or deny my immediate feelings about it ?[/citation]

Very interesting indeed.

A friends brand new PC wouldn't get past the Windows 7 (64-bit) logo
with an older motherboard Bios, now with the latest BIOS it is working fine.

By the way, I've also been noticing that a lot of people with problems here own cards made by XFX... it could be some brand (or brands) specific problems. People should also state what their Graphics Card Vendor is, along with the Chipsetm, just like you said

G

@PynkFloydd: the audio problem you describe is the universe rejecting your faggotry. 192kHz audio is the sonic equivalent of putting 24" rims on a Yugo - the rest of your audio path (especially the speakers) can't even come CLOSE to reproducing the additional frequency range, nor can you hear them. For that matter, 99% of the recording equipment out there is unable to pick up those frequencies - so I guess you must really enjoy hearing the EMI in the studio, 'cause that's all you get...

Don't even get me started on the "remasters" that take 24-track tape masters and somehow produce 192kHz audio - they are great for the tape-hiss enthusiast!

coverfire

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
HIS 5870 and hotfix did not fix issue. It fixed the vertical lines but I still get black screen lockups with a buzzing noise. I tried taking the core and memory all the way down as far as they would go and still get the same issues just less frequent. I did the catalyst uninstaller and then drive sweeper from within safemode to insure all ATI products were gone.

Q9550 @ stock, DDR2 1200 stock, HIS5870, gigabyte ga-x48-ds5.

PynkFloydd

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]192khzisfordouchebags[/nom]@PynkFloydd: the audio problem you describe is the universe rejecting your faggotry. 192kHz audio is the sonic equivalent of putting 24" rims on a Yugo - the rest of your audio path (especially the speakers) can't even come CLOSE to reproducing the additional frequency range, nor can you hear them. For that matter, 99% of the recording equipment out there is unable to pick up those frequencies - so I guess you must really enjoy hearing the EMI in the studio, 'cause that's all you get...Don't even get me started on the "remasters" that take 24-track tape masters and somehow produce 192kHz audio - they are great for the tape-hiss enthusiast![/citation]

You really have no clue what you're talking about. Audio bit rate has NOTHING to do with frequency range. At all. Audio bit rate is the amount of detail in the information being sent to the speakers. Audio bit rate is the equivalent of resolution in video (ie.- 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc.). Yes, it does make a difference. That's why an older receiver can't handle 24/192. Old receiver can't handle the amount of information being sent in to process. Even on lower native bitrates, an algorhythm handles filling in the additional information (by estimating what's missing).

By the way... As you put it, "universe rejecting my faggotry"... I'm ex-airborne infantry and spent enough time in the 82nd Airbone (1/325 AIR) to not have to worry about anyone questioning my sexuality. Maybe you should discuss your insecurities with a psychiatrist because a forum is neither the time nor place.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
still having the same problem as well with my 5870, this fix did nothing at all. Maybe ATI should make sure they have a fix before releasing a useless update that doesnt do a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.