ATI lesson well learn't (Radeon 2)?!?

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Word out on the web is that ATI has fully completed the Radeon II (R200) including the drivers but refuses to release it until November so it gets time to tweak the drivers somemore, fully realising that previous releases were marred by immature or just plain bad drivers despite releasing a good product. Expect hyper-Z functionality to be improved, support for truforma (which is compatible with older games like quakeIII) it improves visuals by increasing number of normals per triangle resulting in smoother ligthing effects etc.All without a performance hit and some rumours of the next all-in-wonder supporting HDTV and Divx decoding. Also it should be a programmable as the Geforce 3 is.

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
According to the specs ATI if they release with really good drivers will match Geforce3 in performance or better and the Radeon 2 is capable improving visuals in older games that Geforce3 can only dream of.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Where did you get this information from? November seems a little on the late side. The same time as the Gamecube. Is ATI really just trying to move out all the old inventory before yet another video card hits the streets? At the local Best Buys you have a choice of one GF3 VisionTeck, 1 GF2MX400, Hercules 3d Prophet 4500 and a slew of ATI cards - Radeon 64, Radeon 32, Radeon VE, Radeon All-In-Wonder, Radeon PCI and PCI/AGP Expert cards and a Rage128 Pro card. Its kinda funny because ATI is taking up 3/4 of the shelf space for video cards and they are selling well. There where no GF2s (pros or Ultras either) and no Voodoo cards where for sell. The GF3 sells for $399 while the ATI cards sell for $229 and less. The MX400 is priced virtually the same as the Radeon 32 and KyroII. The ATI cards have much better appealing boxes as a side note plus more features to promote besides performance. Anyways it looks like a complete domination by ATI in this store. I wonder if ATI is making out like this else where. Last year was a completely different story where nVidia and to a lesser extent 3dfx had the shelf space. Amazing how things have changed. I hope ATI doesn't delay Radeon2 for too long and if they had better drivers why wouldn't we see that on the current crop of Radeons, which now do have decent drivers (still room for improvement). This still seems like speculation to me.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Comparing ATI to nVidia is like comparing Ferrari to Lamborghini. People at Ferrari think of Lamborghinis as unrefined, low tech, brutish cars for unrefined, low class, brutish poeple. A Ferrari can go almost as fast as a Lamborghini, accelerate almost as quick, and probably feels a little more responsive. The two companies take different paths to performance-one follows elegance and refinement, the other power and excess. Even if the Ferrari is more refined, most people would go for the Lamborghini.
ATI needs to stop being like Ferrari, and more like McLaren. They need to learn to take more risk. There can be only one Lamborghini, and McLaren can beet it.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
OK. Anyways I would take a 56 Chevy Bel Air please.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

G

I've got 4 weels but no care err car....
Ati Rage IIc (3d card but no opengl no directx)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by m_kelder on 06/18/01 03:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Oh, I had a 128zx for about 4 months and upgraded to a ATI RageFury which turned out to be a much more capable graphic card.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I've got 4 weels but no care err car....
Ati Rage IIc (3d card but no opengl no <b>directx</b>)
Upgrade your drivers in W2K to get Directx, still if the card doesn't have directx features or hardware support DirectX will emulate it in software.

<A HREF="http://support.ati.com/drivers/win2k/win2k_5_00_2174_1.html" target="_new">Official DX supported W2K RageIIc Drivers</A>

<A HREF="http://support.ati.com/drivers/win2k/win2k_5003247.html" target="_new">Alternate driver for Rage IIC for W2k</A>

Here is a link for full support for OpenGL and Directx in W2K, custom built drivers not by ATI:

<font color=purple><i>Windows 2000 DirectX 8 Gaming Driver by Wes Miser

These are a very good driver set for Windows 2000. I was simply amazed! I had no loss of perfomance and quality comparing with FDv3 on Win98. If you are a Win2k user - those drivers are made for you. Full Direct3D and OpenGL support in both 16 and 32 bit modes.
You will need to install Directx8 for Windows 2000
Ü 5.2195.4037
</font color=purple></i>
<A HREF="http://members.nbci.com/rage_pro/drivers/index.htm" target="_new">http://members.nbci.com/rage_pro/drivers/index.htm</A>

It maybe an old to dirt chip but there are drivers for it in W2K.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I hate to ask what kind of 3dMark2001 score you get with the Rage IIc.

G

I got those drivers when I got the system first installed to test in 3dmark2001 and when installing it gave error saying you need a directx card and then won't install...

G

oh I see, I followed the link :)

RageIIc will work?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by m_kelder on 06/18/01 07:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

thanks but neither of them seem to work with the rage IIc. The moded ati driver says not compatable with my display adapter and the other doesn't list the rage IIc in the inf.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Sorry for the waste of time. Well when are you getting your MX?

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Perhaps my info was a little erroneous but here is info that has been cut and pasted straight from CNET--- In the fourth quarter of 2000, Nvidia had its chips in 48 percent of all desktop PCs, compared with ATI's 34 percent, according to industry analyst Jon Peddie Associates. In the year-earlier period, ATI had 35 percent share and Nvidia had 18 percent.
The new contracts don't include "wins" for ATI's newest chip, tentatively known as R200, which analysts expect to start shipping as early as August. Challinor confirmed a "LATE SUMMER" time frame for R200's release.
ATI Chief Financial Officer Terry Nickerson said in March that winning back market share has become the company's top goal.

Sorry I guess it goes to show you can't trust everything you see on the net but the R200 is finished with drivers being ppolished up as we speak.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I wonder how the mobile market would look since this is desktop numbers. Also does this include OEMs sells, Retail sells or both? ATI took back the Retail market and seems to be holding onto the mobile market while nVidia is catching up. ATI has a full range of good cards out there and priced pretty competitively. Plus the allowance of other manufactuers to use ATI chips is also going to help. Radeon2 is the next generation of graphic chips setting new standards and following others, still it won't be the chip making the dough for ATI until some time latter next year. Not sure what ATI is going to do with intergrated graphics, last years ATI intergrated Northbridge seems to have faded away. Hopefully ATI produces a real viable intergrated chipset solution. Maybe ATI should just license technology to Intel for their intergrated chipset.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nice analogy... what would the s3 4 meg card be?a 30 year old mini? hmm... and classics wouldnt really be there... hmm the quadro II and the other GL cards would be like the huge miners trucks... with 120 litre disel engines with quad turbos solely designed for moving tonnes and tonnes of dirt...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong