ATI Radeon HD 5450: Eyefinity And HTPCs For Everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popaholic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
For the all the idiots out there, yes it can run Crysis, slightly.

Whats the point of releasing a new graphics card thats worse than older cards? It runs Dx11 but there's no way it could even run a supported game.

G

The links to the article pages are either missing or directed wrongly. For example, the "Power and Temperature Benchmarks", "Conclusion" pages are missing or directed wrongly.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]serokichim[/nom]The links to the article pages are either missing or directed wrongly. For example, the "Power and Temperature Benchmarks", "Conclusion" pages are missing or directed wrongly.[/citation]

Try refreshing the page. Should be working correctly now!

acasel

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
a crossfire config with this video card + overclock will make this article much better in a gamers point of view...

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]acasel[/nom]a crossfire config with this video card + overclock will make this article much better in a gamers point of view...[/citation]

Not really, look at the specs. In CrossFire these cards would cost $100 for a total 160 shader cores. They still wouldn't hold a candle to a single $100 5670 when gaming, which has 400 shader cores all by itself.

CrossFiring the 5450 would be a total waste.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Passively-cooled 5450 in crossfire = fail

How do you expect it to handle the increase in temps? Even if you got some good airflow inside the case, that won't be sufficient.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
How selfish you all are thinking THG only does gaming cards!!!! When ATI cuts the hardware (shaders/ROPs) to the bone, its not about gaming. Its for the HTPC and multi-monitor office crowd and thats it. It's a niche card and looks to do that admirably.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Sound like a solid card for non gaming setups. To bad no AGP support. (My 8 years old HTPC just will not die). "crossfire"?! lol i guess some ppl missing the point of this card.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]shubham1401[/nom]Lol...They needed a i7 and 1200W PSU to test this card... Useless...Either get a good card or stick with integrated.[/citation]

yeah...its just so all the tests are the same, and aren't being capped by anything...tho they could do it with a 500w :D

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
i was expecting this to be faster than the 4550 :(
now i'll wait a little more to see how the 5500 will fair.
i hope it will be on par with the 9500gt and will be energy efficient. huhuhu

G

So it's probably worth remembering this card IS NOT aimed at playing games..If you want to play games then this card isn't for you.

This is aimed purely at media playback and 2D applications.

I run a number of HTPC's in my home and until this card it has been impossible to get a bitstreamed output over hdmi for bluray playback. This is currently the only card that will do that (that is low power, single slot, and half height)

For that reason alone this should get a 5* or 10/10 rating. And I'll be buying 5 of them!

And please try to remember that graphics cards are not all about frame rated when playing crysis.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
If you're on a very tight budget and want to play games, I suggest 4650. Eyefinity? Only if you need 3 monitors. dx11? You'll still be able to play dx11 games even with a dx10 card.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
well crossfiring two of these bad boys isnt all a bad idea i mean they are silent,

and slim, so they could fit in a slim htpc case. or a micro pc you could throw in your backpack or hand bag.

plus you can run eyefinity,

and the fact it runs on such little power you could almost plug it into your neck and run it.

and you dont have the crossfire bridge to worry about for crossfire connection,

im definitly a fan of acasels xfire OC idea. id like to see benches and a review of that infact.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Yose3[/nom]what the point of this card? remind me again why does it exist?[/citation]

How about cutting manufacturing costs doing the 55->40nm transfer and having the power consumption down.

G

Its for people who want multiple monitors for work and no gaming. Why the hell you people always think about gaming.

dimitrik

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
*Groan* Really guys? Is gaming the only thing a computer is used for?

This card is built for a whole bunch of users who are actually far more common in real life than overgrown teenage gamers. How about desktop users who want a really quiet low power consumption PC? Maybe one which stays on 24/7 or is fitted into a super slim case? How about HTPC users who want a passively cooled card that has all the video and HD acceleration features without requiring an extra power supply or installing 120mm fans on a case to cool one of the monster 5000 series cards?

I have been waiting for this card since the 5xxx series was announced and so has every home theater enthusiast I know. Few of them are gamers and care only about having a good looking PC that can fit in the living room and play their blu-rays and video libraries with the best PQ and AQ.

As for the article itself - nice going THG. Write an article about a non-gaming card with only gaming benchmarks and tests. Who cares? NOBODY will buy this to play Crysis. How about some video acceleration/CPU use tests with multiple video formats instead? How about getting a non-gamer (unlike the self confessed writer - no offense) who actually knows what we care about?

stormvice

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
[citation][nom]popaholic[/nom]For the all the idiots out there, yes it can run Crysis, slightly.Whats the point of releasing a new graphics card thats worse than older cards? It runs Dx11 but there's no way it could even run a supported game.[/citation]

Gaming is not everything. Eyefinity support is great for CCTV systems. With a budget card supporting this will make CCTV systems a little more cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.