ATI Radeon HD 5670: DirectX 11 For Under $99

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Interesting. I think these benchmarks solidify the HD4770 higher then the 8800(G92)/9800GT. Often in recommendations people place the HD4770 below those cards. I wonder if they will start admitting the HD4850 performs nearly the same as the GTX260.

The HD4670 seems to have some pre-mature driver issues. However, its overclocking performance is quite impressive especially for a single slot designed card.

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
IMO, at these benchmarks a $99 msrp makes no sense.. I bought a msi 5750 for about $140 and some of these cards are now as low as $120. Another thing is that this is a single layer card so you get less ports (one each)-- clearly not meant for a multi monitor configuration. Though I see where this was targeted towards the low end of the market core i3/i5s at the $80-$140 range and the lower end Am3s. Price wise, they'll have to get it down to about $70 for it to reach a market that would want this.. the Direct-X11 compatibility is possibly the only selling point here. If the benchmarks were higher, I would have said now Nvidia *MUST* join the dx-11 bandwagon.. but instead ATI gave them a free pass to delay products until Q2 2010.. bad for the consumer, if what we know is LIKELY to happen in the coming months.. GAS PRICE HELL screws with our economy again.. and that $99 pricetag begins to look GOOD since it will get jacked up to $130 and the other cards will skyrocket in price. Good thing I bought when I did-- don't you just HATE OIL COMPANIES!!!!

For the low end of the market, they needed to provide something that can meet certain price targets and these low powered parts seem to do the trick.. because any gaming enthusiast will be building a quad core worthy of using a 600+watt psu. These system parts are 550watt & lower total power needs (in comparison of the needs on 12v rails). So what we're talking about is $450-$750 systems vs $850-$1400 systems. The break away will be the need for raw processing power & enthusiast gaming parts or not... Nevertheless I upgrades my enthuisast system for the $700 range, but good luck trying to do that amidst the runup in commodities prices.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]stridervm[/nom]I wish there was a Radeon 4850 in the comparison chart for.... Comparison....[/citation]
Yep. The HD 4850 performs the same as the 4770 which is clearly the best card under $100 -- a fact that Don here doesn't want to admit to for some reason.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]FoShizzleDizzle[/nom]Yep. The HD 4850 performs the same as the 4770 which is clearly the best card under $100 -- a fact that Don here doesn't want to admit to for some reason.[/citation]

Actually, the 4850 performs better than the 4770, FoShizzle. I've said that over and over in the review.

It helps a lot if you actually read it before dissing it. You know, so you look like you know what you're talking about. :D

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Schip[/nom]Small typo on the last page...I believe the article was well written. Every statement was quite fair, and quite justifiable. A very worthwhile article. Thanks![/citation]

Fixed. And thanks for the kind words! :)

damien12g

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Man! I thought I needed to updrade my 4770...guess not. DX11? A joke. It will be years before that is actually needed. X-fire the 4770's!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
not very good, for $104 you can get a nvidia GTS 250, much faster

while the ati card does support dx 11, the fastest ati card on the planet struggles with some of the enhancements. That card will support it but will be useless with it. (just like those over priced CPU's that did 32 bit and also ones that did 64 bit, they supported it but were too slow to actually be useful with it.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
when you see dx11 on their low end cards, it is pretty much dx wash to trick people into spending more for a slower card.

when 16 bit dominated the market there were some CPU's that supported 32 bit at the time but they were more expensive for a technology that no one used, but when 32 bit became popular, those old CPU's were either not supported or too slow to even run the OS

this is whats happening to dx 11, a dx 10 based card can be had for around the same price but be much faster.

the reason why companies do this is to make more money. many novice computer users will go with what has the highest numbers, and believe me, it works in tricking novice users. (not completely relevant) When core 2 CPU's were new, many smaller local computer electronic stores were scamming novice users by overcharging and pushing them to spending more money on older P4 systems instead of the cheaper/ faster core 2 machines, and the novice users bought into it because the P4 machines had higher clock speeds and the novice users saw more MHz as being faster. A student in my class works at one and he generally tells me about how bad some people are getting ripped off.

You will see many people going for a more expensive and slower card because it contains higher numbers. Gamers wont be buying these cards, and while it is a decent card, it does not fit the $99 price range, it is more suited for the low $70 price range, any more and there faster cards for the money, while they may not support dx 11, look at how this card flopped with dx 11. and thats not even a hard to run game, imagine when a game uses the dx11 enhancements on a large scale instead of just a couple of tiny areas in a game, with pretty much all current dx 11 cards, they will become very laggy

what gamers need to do is don't buy performance hardware for future use as they will be obsolete when the future comes, build for a future upgrade path. Game developers design games to fit the mid range area as very few people have high end gaming systems, the top of the line dx 11 card from today will most likely be much slower than the midrange dx11 card from 6 months from now.

basically the current top of the line cards being overkill for current games but too slow to run future games.

also keep in mind that the current top of the line cards will lose value insanely fast. a low end card from today is generally faster than a top of the line videocard from a few years ago, but you still see some idiots trying to sell their cards for like 4 times the cost of a cheaper/ faster modern low end card (because they rushed out and spend $500-700 on their card and feel that they should at least get half of their money back selling it)

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Why do people who don't understand DX11 comment on it like its some closed off API? DX11 will have a much faster adoption rate then any DX in the past because its backwards compatible down to DX9. There are only a few features to look at with DX11. Most of it is efficiency work that will only make a card perform better. Then there is backwards compatibility. Then Tesselation.

The only thing that will cause a performance impact on a video card is Tesselation. Tesselation is controllable and can be easily scaled to various card levels since you are adjusting a number not a vertex. This is actually the magic of this method. You can make nice looking models and scale it easily across multiple hardware and max out that hardware's ability.

G

I love these reviews as it gives me insight into cards my customers may want to buy, but as the newer 55xx and 54xx cards come out how about a review more geared towards productivity with multi-monitors. For example a graphic artist who has 2 24 inch monitors for work and a 30+ to show customers. I know benchmarking might be a nightmare but that’s where I always view the low end cards, more work related than raw gaming power.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I would like to commend you Don for actively responding and explaining to the comments in your article.

Nice article btw. Kinda sad about the results though.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]masterjaw[/nom]I would like to commend you Don for actively responding and explaining to the comments in your article.Nice article btw. Kinda sad about the results though.[/citation]

Thanks man, I appreciate that. :)

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814127465Try not to hurt yourself scrolling down. Idiot.[/citation]
Mail in rebate = gimmick. I built a comptuer for a frend 2 years ago, 4 products I purchased for the MIR price. Sent them in as reuqired, mutilating the boxes for the pcu code. Out of $180 in mail in rebates, the only one that honored it was Viewsonic. EVGA didn't, Asus didn't, and Antec didn't. Quoting a MIR price is like quoting microcenter for someone in alaska, its a great deal IF you actually get it. Its not guaranteed to be $64.99.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]No, but what you're doing probably is.[/citation]

So you admit that noob2222 had a point and you were wrong?

G

Man, I am glad I run a pair of 4770's in CFX. They perform very well and don't need a huge PSU to run them. Unlike my 4890. But I do agree with the reviewer that the 4770's had to overcome some steep obstacles. Namely the supply and price. For $200 I got 2 very nice XFX cards with premium coolers. I'm trying to do that now, and coming up very short. And I won't be buying a second 4890 (I have a P55 motherboard, need I say more?) so I guess I'll stick with these babies for now. Also to note: I appreciate these newer cards like the GT240 and this new 5670 because for folks with "Box" computers that have custom PSU sizes and low power, these will just work for those folks. I like that.

bpdski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I think it's disappointing that ATI took the 4870 off the market. This card had dipped to about $120 and was a great value for the money. With the departure of that card there is nothing under $150 that is significantly faster than my 8800GT that I paid $120 nearly two years ago. I'm only interested in buying a graphics card around the $120 mark or less. The 4870 fit the bill and I was thinking about buying one and then it disappeared. They replace that with a 5770 that costs $50 more but doesn't perform much better. You would think that 2 years later, $120 would buy a card that is double the performance of a $120 card from back then, but they're almost the same.

I just felt like venting about the 4870 going away, not sure if ATI cares. It will probably make me go with NVidia in the future though, can't stand someone replacing a great product (4870) with a new product (5770) that costs a lot more (just because it's new) but really isn't any better.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]kettu[/nom]So you admit that noob2222 had a point and you were wrong?[/citation]

What was that, four pages ago? Dedicated to riding this one into the sunset, huh?

It's sad that I have to explain this, but OK. What I admit is that I was poking fun at your shared obsession with insignificant vernacular. :D

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
gt 240 was released november 2009 and earned the title "fastest graphics card that doesn't require a separate PCIe power connector." It was taken away so fast.

hannibal

Distinguished
More from: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3720

Nice review allso. And allso allmost the same conclusion. Nice to see the situation when all the "old" card phases out. What happens to the prises of these cards? Are the prises going to stay up, or will they go to normal direction?
The 5670 is a good replase to 4670 and a hard competitor to GT240, but older cards are taking their toll for a while... Until they are out of stock, there will not be big demand to these.
But if you want HTPC that can be used in occasional gaming, this is really a guite good card, but "gaming" HTPC are a little bit niche market area.

Casecutter

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Don Woligroski, that was the most jaundice, craftily distorted article I’ve read lately, and when taken in correlation to your GT240 review the bias is black and white.

Then, a “9800 GT *is* the 8800 GT. They are the exact same card, same GPU”. Sorry NOT really as they have different power section and less hearty PCB’s on a 9800GT. Any GT you buy today probably isn’t the card an original 8800GT offered in stalwart functionality. You mean Tom’s doen’t have or can’t buy a standard XFX or EVGA so to not have folk go hmmm…

On the LfD B-M page you said “Again, the GeForce 9800 GT is beating the Radeon HD 5670 by a slim margin.” But then on the page testing with AA/AF it sure looks like a dead heat! Then look at what that GV-NX88T512 (not under-clocked) did in the AA/AF results (1680x) on his GT240 article and something strange! It came up lower than the supposed “stock” 9800GT? All on the same Intel Core i7-920 over-clocked to 3.06 GHz set-up.

As to the price argument you hardly said anything against the GT240 two months ago, but the 5670 is faulted even though it’s beating it today?

I could go on but, I won’t I’ll just finish saying this is why Tom’s no longer carries and credibility when it comes to graphics hardware.

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I'd call it "similar". Because the user experience is "similar".An actual human being would probably not be able to experience most of the differences that you're suggesting are monumental.[/citation]

12-20% is actually pretty signifacant for cards in a similar price bracket. I don't know why you are pretending its not. Why would someone not buy the faster card, even if it is just 5%? Especially if it has a newer price point. I don't see what you are trying to argue here, except "don't buy the 5670"

Status
Not open for further replies.