ATI Radeon HD 5830: Bridging The 5700- And 5800- Price Gap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
OR OR OR!!!

Maybe ATi should have actually put a damned effort into increasing bandwidth on the 5k series cards...
128bit on the 5770? Really?
And for the 5870... twice the silicon, the same damned bandwidth as a 4890.
The 5k are such great cards. Too bad they don't perform worth crap in many titles...
[citation][nom]requiemsallure[/nom]mistake on my post i ment 5850 at 260 and the 5830 at 190-200[/citation]
That'd be nice. A 5770 is $190 locally.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Since you were trying for similar price points and features, why not throw in a pair of 4850 1gbs or GTS 250s? Since the 4850x2 is on your hierarchy chart with the 5850. Then you have 4 monitor support for the same price. Granted, no DX11 and the performance/watt ratio would be shot, but hey, what's a little more carbon in the atmosphere when you have great looking graphics?

G

Why do the my posts keep getting deleted? I'm becoming very unhappy lately with things that we discuss on these forums randomly disappearing.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
I wonder what would happen if the Color ROPs is bumped up to 24....

But currently..... Not really worth it, but still does it's purpose I guess......

gian84

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
The 5830 is a it disappointing IMO. Ati should have just crippled it with less shaders. Might as well fork out the extra cash and get a 5850 since i think there is no way it can catch up to the 5850 performance even if its overclocked.

G

"notice how little the 5770 uses at idle"

I would hardly call >60% of the energy consumption of the whole rest of the computer "little" (see article from yesterday)

MasterDOOM

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Nice Job AMD - ATI Radeon I have my 4870X2 and is a monster and never go to Nvidia :) and ATI have win this year becouse from Octomber they have reliese tone of New models, Games etc... and Nvidia nothing...Just Promise and this is all! Bravoo Tomshardware for this nice review.
AMD - ATI Radeon Best Choice

berserker29

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
The extra shaders - compared to 4890/5770 - probably help performance in more math heavy games, like Call of Juarez, but on most games the shaders are clearly being held back by the ROP's.

Still, you have to admit that it's pretty impressive that current generation's 3rd fastest GPU ~= last generation's #1 - and then compare that with the 38xx series!

Just imagine what things would be like today if Nvidia had kept up that kind of generational difference instead of playing around with the (8/9)800GT(S/X[+])

njoy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Don't like the price nor performance of this card. It takes too much of a penalty because of disabled ROPs and makes the number of shaders just a number, as proven by 4890 and even 5770. The pricetag is a serious letdown, especially when AMD is trying to justify it not by performance but stuff like Eyefinity, DX11, OpenCL (which you don't even get unless you register as a developer and download SDK). Sounds too much like nVidia's marketing BS and for me is extremely upsetting since this is one of the major reasons i left the green camp a while ago. An appropriate price for it would be $190-210. However, that would generate an immediate demand for this cards and might require AMD to empoy the same tactics they used for their X2 and X3 Phenoms. But again, I don't see them doing it just because, unlike the CPUs, it's not increasing the chances of the same customer coming back to you since he is not tied to specific platform and limited upgrade choice.
Seriously, just as much as I want AMD to make some money, spend it on R&D and kick Intel's ass with some new CPUs, I want them to be fair to their loyal customers. And since they more or less have been up until now, I EXPECT it. IMHO, $400 for a kick ass GPU is fair, $240 (and likely more at retailers) for such a cripple - NOT

Top review again Don ... well done.

Would you mind giving it a bit of an overclock and post the results just for the DX11 suit of games you have when you get a chance?

I'd be interested to see how well it imporves performance ... probably not a lot give the cut in ROPS ... but out of interest I would like to see.

Cheers :)

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Well done AMD.

Now if nVidia would just take some notes.
By the time Fermi finally comes out we'll be saying: "Hang on don't buy one of those, the next AMD card is right arround the corner!"

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]sincreator[/nom]What would happen if this card was flashed to a 5870's Bios I wonder? Another unlockable(maybe)product from AMD, like the dual and tripple core Phenom II's? Or was this stuff shut down because it was a faulty 5870 originally. Would be nice to unlock it and get a fully functioning 5870 for 240$. lol[/citation]

I was just thinking of the same thing...
if they just disabled it..(they did that for quite a number of PII X 720BE) It's free lunch for all!! :)

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
i think that this card given its low temps and soon to have an even better cooling solution by oems should make for a monster overclocker and i think that will change the performance significantly.

i bet two of these at 1ghz plus gpu xfired would really rock.

thats what i see these cards being good for to be honest.

they are not a bad buy but not a great buy at the released price,
sold as a pair for lets say 420, with a great cooler would be a power gamers overclocking delight for the price of almost a single 5870,

future driver updates for this odd numbered beast and some sexy girth give it lots of potential, but will it be realized?

more benchmarks!

nrnx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I hate to say it but I agree with Notty. I am completely glad I bought my 2x 5770 after we see what a waste the 5830 is. Another poster above was right, it should have been called the 5790. No way is it worth getting a 5830 now that we know how it performs. Unless we somehow figure out a way to get it to oc 300-1000MHZ

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I still can't understand why it has to be such a huge card. Power draw and temperatures are lower than the 5850, so why it can't be the same size or even slightly smaller is baffling to me...

Wouldn't mind stepping up to a 5830 though when the price settles down a bit.

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
If you are considering an ATI dx-11 card.. I suggest the 5750.. it works quite well, despite some early glitching reportedly fixed by new drivers. At around $120-$145 street price that's about the right blance of budget to a $600-$1000 system build. I don't like the way ATI is "crippling" performance on their chips. In times past, the manufacturing process resulted in chips that were "defective" or could only run at lower rates.. but the act of specifically making a superior product and then Laser cutting off circuits to cripple performance to the extent that they do has poor price/performance ratios at the heart of criticisms. What will happen is these cards will begin to GLUT reseller's product lineups and they will have to CUT the prices later this year as stock keeps piling up or worse, wholesalers can't move the product and demand lower prices from ATI so they can be passed on. CPU & Memory prices haven't seen their traditional drops yet and we're getting quite LATE in the season for them to cut the prices significantly-- otherwise consumers will probably hold the line until as late as October to begin buying multi-core system upgrades. If I were really cynnical, I'd say the tech industry is back into that MODE of doleing out minimal performance upgrades at staggering upticks in price vs performance ratios which are really not woth the premiums being charged. So, expect consumer backlash. Really, this crap is catchy.. even the hard drive companies are only making 2tb hard drives with faster speeds/cache memories and doubling the price of their old and smaller cache drives. Good luck selling those anywhere else but enterprise remote storage companies. The same thing applies with crippled ati cards, Intel's new i3/i5 lineup, etc. We see through the gimmicks and we're NOT buying it..

Status
Not open for further replies.