ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB: The World's Fastest Graphics Card

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]The game benchmarks are pretty centric around nVidia right now.STALKER (X-Ray 1.0) NeutralCrysis (Crytek Engine) nVidia biasedFarCry 2 (Crytek Engine) nVidia biasedLeft for Dead (Source Engine) nVidia biasedWorld in Conflict (Mass-Tech Engine) CPU limtedH.A.W.X. (In-house Engine) NuetralGTA IV (RAGE Euphoria Engine) CPU limitedResident Evil 5 (MT Frameworks) Nuetral3D Mark Vantage (PhysX Accelerated) nVidia biased[/citation]

Source engine as always prefered ATI cards over Nvidia, and they're also very cpu bound.
you got some really wrong
also resident evil used to run way better (its a TWIMTBPY tittle) on Nvidia.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Even being the fastest graphics card in world doesn't stop them from testing its overclock potential. I suppose that's just to let people know what it can handle.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]^+1. Minimum frame rate is dependent on too many other, unrelated things, like server lag and background tasks.[/citation]
Not only that, but it the only information that it tells you is how long it took to render the single slowest frame. You can't possibly notice one slow frame, only several in succession, and minimum framerate does not tell you if this happened.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
What we need to know is the standard deviation. That would be a better measurement then the minimum frame rate. Then we can use all sorts of statistical analysis tools to find exactly how well the card did. Get on that, Tom!

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Dougx1317[/nom]Wasn't the test cpu an i7 975 that was clocked at 4Ghz? Anyway, GTA4 is limited with their setup.[/citation]

Why, it sure was =)

[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Chris, I ask you to stay neutral in your reviews. Toms is a reputable news and reviews source, unlike FOX, and it would be best if it stayed that way. Why'd I get a -1?[/citation]

Because people like me are sick of douche bags like you trashing the one and only mainstream media outlet - unlike CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and MSNBC - who has the GUTS to actually investigate and report negatives on the current administration hell bent on destroying America from the inner core of deficit spending to the outer core of protectionism.

Any questions?

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Because people like me are sick of douche bags like you trashing the one and only mainstream media outlet - unlike CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and MSNBC - who has the GUTS to actually investigate and report negatives on the current administration hell bent on destroying America from the inner core of deficit spending to the outer core of protectionism.

Any questions?
Why is this on a forum about the 5970 graphics card? Take your politics outside, ladies.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]I really thought it was going to be a 5870X2 and not a 5850X2. Still, we have come to a point where a card like this will last for almost 5 years.The raw power race seems to be ineffective for taming complex games like Crysis.Now we really need to see a bunch of DX11 games in action and proper drivers to see the result this card can render. If you are taking into account the actual market, these numbers don't impress me much... on the other hand, a single 5850 is damn impressive.[/citation]

This card is a 5870 for all practical purposes. There are reasons its clocked down.
Officially, AMD and its vendors can only sell a card that consumes up to 300W of power. That’s all the ATX spec allows for; anything else would mean they would be selling a non-compliant card.

This completely limits the card's "official" specifications, but this card is overbuilt for the official settings. Its marketed towards pusing it overclocked, and it most definately will, but sold as an ATX standard card wich hinders it from being a "5870x2" officially.

This page is a very good read and description of why and how its what it is. http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3679&p=4

cyber_jockey

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Are you serious? I thought this was a typo but seriously ATi could have wait till nVIDIA gain some ground. In a few hours we'll prob see a HD5790x2 and in a few days a HD6750 with DX12

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]cyber_jockey[/nom]Are you serious? I thought this was a typo but seriously ATi could have wait till nVIDIA gain some ground.[/citation]
Why play nice with the competition, do NVIDIA ever give ATI a chance? ATI have to make the most of this quiet time from NVIDIA or they'll get toppled again.

nos3085

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Come on guys, yes ATI has great cards FINALLY, but all ATI does is catch up.8800GTX came out it was almost 2 years b4 ATI came around. They had to make a card with DDR4 memory to do it. Now once again they come out with new cards(which are very fast) but they use DDR5 ram with extreme core clock speeds. Nvidia is competing with low 600mhz core clocks and DDR3 ram and as it show the GTX285 in SLI wins in a normal PC VANTAGE test, The main benchmark out there. Whats going to happen when Nvidia brings out there beast with DDR5 ram and high core clocks. People who think ATI is the best are in a fantasy land. What results would we see when you use ATIs best DDR3 card vs Nvidia DDR3 card, about a 1000fps difference. Your comparing a mouse(nvidia) to a Rhino. Not fair yet Nvidia is always in front.Just wait!

kimsdigital

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
if it's AMD-ATI has the edge, nvidia residents had always negative statements about it.. this time they weighted on length issues... too expensive...Game consoles are the thing...Limited supplies etc.. etc... If Nvidia has it... they'll say its the best thing around and hardly any negative issues about it...Marketing wars made us idiots...Can we just consider the numbers.........it really speaks a lot....

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]nos3085[/nom]Not fair yet Nvidia is always in front.Just wait![/citation]

No they are not. Obviously you don't remember the NVidia FX series? Or that the Radeon 8xxx series was faster than the GeForce 3 series?

Rose-tinted glasses much?

hannibal

Distinguished

In this case I can not absolutely agree. Maximum frame rate... yes they have very little meaning, but minimum frame rate can give you some information about how bad the situation can be in some part of the game. They can tell if there are situations where the card is not able to produce useable framerates.
The average frame rates are most important, because they tell how good the gard is normally, the minimum if there are any situations where the card is in trouble or not.

hannibal

Distinguished

Yes that would be the most accurate case. One or too missing frames are not essential, but 10-15 in series... yes...

Status
Not open for further replies.