ATI Stream: Finally, CUDA Has Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Stream is old but not nearly as old and compatible as CUDA I'd get it a year or two more when more capable cards circulate the market and trickle down to the people before i would call it competition.

Well it's good to see more then just 1 app that supports it.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Just for the sake of it, and the fact that many pros would like to know the result, it would be nice to see comparisons like this using nVidia's Quadro cards vs. ATI's FirePro cards.

G

I think the second graph on the "Mixed Messages" page isn't the right graph.

It's the same graph from the following "Heavier Lifting" page instead of a graph for the 298MB VOB file that should be shown?

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Stream and CUDA are likely to go the way of the dodo soon though. OpenCL's where its at. Unfortunately its a tad hard to get programming with it right now since you need to be a registered developer on nVidia's Early Access Program or you have to be a registered developer with Apple's developer program with access to pre-release copies of Snow Leopard.
Virtually no one will bother using CUDA or Steam after OpenCL's out - why limit yourself to one hardware base after all? It'd be like writing Windows software that only ran on AMD processors and not Intel. Developers will not bother writing for both when they can just use one language that can run on both hardware platforms.

wasteoftime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
How come Folding is not something you guys ever cover in your CUDA comparisons. The main reason I left an ati card and bought an nvidia was the huge increase in my ppd.

armistitiu

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
[citation][nom]wasteoftime[/nom]How come Folding is not something you guys ever cover in your CUDA comparisons. The main reason I left an ati card and bought an nvidia was the huge increase in my ppd.[/citation]
Yeah...that's just what i want from a GPU : Folding@Home. I find video transcoding to be a more 'useful' way of using you GPU.
Nice article. Haven't seen one in a long time.

sailer

Splendid
[citation][nom]wasteoftime[/nom]How come Folding is not something you guys ever cover in your CUDA comparisons. The main reason I left an ati card and bought an nvidia was the huge increase in my ppd.[/citation]

I agree. The last three cards that I bought were Nvidia cards, based solely on their folding performance. When gaming, I prefer an ATI card. Oh yeah, I have four computers, three using Nvidia cards for folding and one with an ATI card for gaming. I think it would be great if the reviews included Folding@Home performance. It might also encourage ATI to make cards that did better for folding.

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Anandtech was saying that the output quality from ATI wasn't very good, but I didn't see any mention of it here. Can anyone confirm or deny, I have a 4870 but I'd like to know how the output quality is before I buy Expresso.

nickcardwell

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I have used newer cards from both Nvidia and ATI, I also love my Mac. I would really like to see OpenCL take off. It's cross platform with Nvidia and ATI on both Mac and PC. That to me would end the CUDA / Stream war and bring it back to simply who builds the better GPU.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
"Final score: AMD 3, Nvidia 4. However, I’m going to call this a tie..."

It actually IS a tie. You awarded NVidia a point for not offering an option for WMV encoding,
even though performance showed a very slight, but measurable, increase with Stream enabled.

You didn't give credit where credit was due. Do it right the next time.

lire210

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
the gpu looks a bit weak on the ati side. when was the gtx 280 ever ment to go head to head with a hd4870. i would like to suggest a hd4890 for da job bit more even. that is if we are going on who drivers are better which seems to be more of the focus considering the lack of hardware evenness.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Hey, all. Many thanks for the initial feedback. A few notes:

1. I would have loved to test with the Folding@home app. I actually tried to when doing the former CUDA-on-a-budget article. However, I quickly discovered that the results were meaningless because the work loads varied too much. NVIDIA helped solve this problem by creating a series of batch files for SETI@home that used a common work load, and that's what you see in the article. However, there is no such tool that I know of for Folding@home and AMD/ATI has not released an equivalent set of testing tools for SETI@home.

2. I count seven charts -- 4 to 3. I did give the better coding point to NVIDIA on page 7. NVIDIA has 0 points on page 6 and two points by the end of page 7. :)

3. The side-by-side captures you see in the later article pages show samples of Stream vs. CUDA output. These are taken from GPU-accelerated output files. To my eye, they look almost identical, but I offer them up for you to make your own judgments. I would say that the output quality issues that plagued Stream's initial launch have been remedied.

4. Yes, I agree that, ultimately, OpenCL and DirectX 11 will lay the entire Stream/CUDA issue to rest. But that's someday. For now, this article's purpose was to take a look at today's technology.

5. I tested with an HD 4890, not a 4870. Apologies if there are any typos to the contrary.

6. There is no behind-the-scenes money changing hands that resulted in my page detailing CyberLink Espresso. I developed that page for two reasons. First, as I mentioned, Espresso is the ONLY application today with even support for both Stream and CUDA, so it made sense to me that many people might want to buy it because of its agnostic support -- and it's a great tool. Second, in part because of this agnosticism, CyberLink has been immensely helpful to me in writing this article in a fair, even-minded, and accurate manner. The company helped me through many nights, often maintaining email dialogues well past midnight. So forgive me for being enthusiastic about the product. If CyberLink's customer support is even half its press support, I think you'll be pleased.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]lire210[/nom]the gpu looks a bit weak on the ati side. when was the gtx 280 ever ment to go head to head with a hd4870. i would like to suggest a hd4890 for da job bit more even. that is if we are going on who drivers are better which seems to be more of the focus considering the lack of hardware evenness.[/citation]

FYI, these tests were conducted with a Radeon HD 4890, not a 4870! =)

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
[citation][nom]radiowars[/nom]So..... TBH they both work pretty well, I hope that we don't start a whole competition over this.[/citation]

It has always been and will always be nothing but a glorified pissing contest between AMD/ATI and Intel/NVidia. :)

-- MaSoP

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009

You sure know how to waste your time and Watts.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]You sure know how to waste your time and Watts.[/citation]

@scrumworks:

My Mom died from cancer. My grandfather, who helped raise me, had acute Alzheimer's before he passed away, no longer the man I'd known all my life. Folding@home is working to understand and find remedies for these ailments. The project is many things, but a waste of time and watts is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS