ATI "Support" ?? Can't buy parts or even PAY to get my 970..

I did an "oops" while swapping out a drive and dinged a small (6 legged) IC
on the backside of my ATI retail 9700 Pro. To make matters worse; it fell
off while pulling the card out to see what it was. I was lucky in other
ways; all of the pads for "U89" are intact.

Replacing it "should" be easy; I'm an electronics tech who's been replacing
SMT parts for years. All I'd need is the part and the orientation; but ATI
won't sell the part or even give me the chip part number to allow me to find
it on my own.

I even offered to PAY to have it fixed --- no luck . (I'd be happy to pay
$50-$80 to get it fixed; it's still a great card for my needs) .

No luck-- I wasn't the original buyer; so they don't want to talk to me.

Anybody have a number/address for ATI's 'public relations' department ??

Also... I'd be interested in any scrapped or broken 9700 Pro's that anybody
just might have laying around as a part source.

R. Asby Dragon wrote:

> I did an "oops" while swapping out a drive and dinged a small (6 legged)
> IC on the backside of my ATI retail 9700 Pro. To make matters worse; it
> fell off while pulling the card out to see what it was. I was lucky in
> other ways; all of the pads for "U89" are intact.
>
> Replacing it "should" be easy; I'm an electronics tech who's been
> replacing
> SMT parts for years. All I'd need is the part and the orientation; but
> ATI won't sell the part or even give me the chip part number to allow me
> to find it on my own.
>
> I even offered to PAY to have it fixed --- no luck . (I'd be happy to pay
> $50-$80 to get it fixed; it's still a great card for my needs) .
>
> No luck-- I wasn't the original buyer; so they don't want to talk to me.

How do they know this?

> Anybody have a number/address for ATI's 'public relations' department ??

All their departmental numbers are listed on their Web site.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

In article <cgoc1q01vcq@enews2.newsguy.com>, R. Asby Dragon says...

> Replacing it "should" be easy; I'm an electronics tech who's been replacing
> SMT parts for years. All I'd need is the part and the orientation; but ATI
> won't sell the part or even give me the chip part number to allow me to find
> it on my own.

Welcome to one of my previous jobs. I worked as a bench engineer
repairing arcade videogame boards. Common practice was erasing all
componenet numbers even on regular chips like 4011s. Another trick was
to get a bunch of components, make a very small 2" upright board and
cover them in plastic then attach it to a header.

I tell you, after a day of faultfinding on that I used to go home and
sleep. Talk about mentally exhausting.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:20:39 -0700, "R. Asby Dragon" <ube_never @
YAHOO . COM> wrote:

>I did an "oops" while swapping out a drive and dinged a small (6 legged) IC
>on the backside of my ATI retail 9700 Pro. To make matters worse; it fell
>off while pulling the card out to see what it was. I was lucky in other
>ways; all of the pads for "U89" are intact.
>
>Replacing it "should" be easy; I'm an electronics tech who's been replacing
>SMT parts for years. All I'd need is the part and the orientation; but ATI
>won't sell the part or even give me the chip part number to allow me to find
>it on my own.
>
>I even offered to PAY to have it fixed --- no luck . (I'd be happy to pay
>$50-$80 to get it fixed; it's still a great card for my needs) .
>
>No luck-- I wasn't the original buyer; so they don't want to talk to me.
>
>Anybody have a number/address for ATI's 'public relations' department ??
>
>Also... I'd be interested in any scrapped or broken 9700 Pro's that anybody
>just might have laying around as a part source.

I've got a 9700 PRO that i was going to try to sell.. but I doubt
you'd spend $145 for a 10¢ part. :(

Pluvious

"R. Asby Dragon" <ube_never @ YAHOO . COM> wrote in message
>I did an "oops" while swapping out a drive and dinged a small (6 legged) IC
> on the backside of my ATI retail 9700 Pro. To make matters worse; it fell
> off while pulling the card out to see what it was. I was lucky in other
> ways; all of the pads for "U89" are intact.
>
> Replacing it "should" be easy; I'm an electronics tech who's been
> replacing
> SMT parts for years. All I'd need is the part and the orientation; but
> ATI
> won't sell the part or even give me the chip part number to allow me to
> find
> it on my own.
>
> I even offered to PAY to have it fixed --- no luck . (I'd be happy to pay
> $50-$80 to get it fixed; it's still a great card for my needs) .
>
> No luck-- I wasn't the original buyer; so they don't want to talk to me.
>
> Anybody have a number/address for ATI's 'public relations' department ??
>
> Also... I'd be interested in any scrapped or broken 9700 Pro's that
> anybody
> just might have laying around as a part source.

How many attempts have you had to get the result your wanting? In my
experience ATI can be extremely stubborn and inflexible but through
perseverance and asking for your issue to be escallated, the
supervisors/team leaders can usually sort something out. It took me well
over 10 emails once to get a defective card replaced - when they could have
just sent me a bios file so I could fix it myself. Instead they insisted on
sending another card to the Uk all the way from Canada!. You're on the right
track wanting to escallate this!

Good luck and don't give up hope!

Paul

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <cgoc1q01vcq@enews2.newsguy.com>, "R. Asby Dragon" <ube_never @ YAHOO . COM> wrote:
>I did an "oops" while swapping out a drive and dinged a small (6 legged) IC
>on the backside of my ATI retail 9700 Pro. To make matters worse; it fell
>off while pulling the card out to see what it was. I was lucky in other
>ways; all of the pads for "U89" are intact.
>
>Replacing it "should" be easy; I'm an electronics tech who's been replacing
>SMT parts for years. All I'd need is the part and the orientation; but ATI
>won't sell the part or even give me the chip part number to allow me to find
>it on my own.
>
>I even offered to PAY to have it fixed --- no luck . (I'd be happy to pay
>$50-$80 to get it fixed; it's still a great card for my needs) .
>
>No luck-- I wasn't the original buyer; so they don't want to talk to me.
>
>Anybody have a number/address for ATI's 'public relations' department ??
>
>Also... I'd be interested in any scrapped or broken 9700 Pro's that anybody
>just might have laying around as a part source.

No one does repair on stuff like these anymore. its a throw away economy. You
think ATI or any company has parts laying around the "Shack" fix things? If
the part is intact that you have and it just came loose due to cold solder
joints then get a small pen soldering iron and carefully reattache the thing.
If not look to find a used one on ebay. I see the 9700 Pro's all the time
going for $30-$60