Info Attention anyone with AMD Ryzen desktop and laptop APUs looking to do the Windows 1903 Update

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Heads up to anyone running an AMD Ryzen APU based desktop or laptop, update to the latest Radeon Drivers (19.5.2) BEFORE loading the 1903 update. There were some issues especially on HP laptops with the 2500U and 2700U with the old HP provided drivers (laptop randomly goes to a blank or solid color screen) that return if you're not on the latest AMD Adrenalin.

D

Deleted member 14196

No problem with my hp notebook. I do use the adrenaline drivers but I’m not sure if they’re up-to-date and the update went fine

D

Deleted member 14196

I have the A6 series. A6-7310 with R4 Graphics

It’s one of those ultra cheap hp 15.6” models. I love it’s dependable nature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have the A6 series. A6-7310

Ok that doesn't apply to this warning, this is about Ryzen APUs with built in Vega graphics, as per the title.

Upon release HP provided the drivers which were stuck to an older version which had a bug that caused the laptop to lock up and show a solid color screen randomly. This was fixed once AMD unlocked the ability to update the drivers using ones from their site. This same bug is now back with 1903 unless you're on the latest drivers, and I'd assume possibly with other APUs (though I have no others to test) but considering the issue, it would be best practice to update.

Also, DO NOT use the AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan that COMES with AMD CHIPSET DRIVERS!!! AMD reps have confirmed that specific power plan is only for old builds of windows 10 which didn't have a power plan built into windows 10 that was optimized for Ryzen.

So if you do install chipset drivers, you can simply uncheck the box for installing the Ryzen balanced power plan. Windows 10's default balanced power plan has newer and better optimizations for Ryzen.

No problems with AMD Ryzen power plan here with "amd_chipset_drivers_19.10.0429" Min CPU set to 5% and max to 100% idles at 2.ghz and boosts to 4.3.

I'm not saying there's a problem with it, I'm saying it's outdated. Use the regular balanced plan which has newer and more ryzen optimizations. (FYI, the optimizations are under the hood, you can't see them or edit them, they work with the actual CPU hardware itself and I believe the windows scheduler to a degree.)

I'm not saying there's a problem with it, I'm saying it's outdated. Use the regular balanced plan which has newer and more ryzen optimizations. (FYI, the optimizations are under the hood, you can't see them or edit them, they work with the actual CPU hardware itself and I believe the windows scheduler to a degree.)
I know some that lost that plan altogether, mine is there and working. I use it to lower idle frequency and with it voltage and temps. Performance enhancements are not coming from it so there's nothing tieing them. Any Performance enhancement must come from kernel.

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
Thanks for sharing; this very well may save some people from a nightmare of a headache. As a note, generally speaking, it's best to keep everything up to date but the order of updating things depends on a few factors. As a best practice, drivers proceed OS if they both have an update simultaneously and by doing that you can avoid such issues.

Johnryan369

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
www.apps4rent.com
Thank you for this, i have rolled my 1903 and back on 1809, and my Display Driver would not detectec the HDMI monitor once connected and the display would go on native MB drivers. Let me try this new driver berfore i go for 1903 again.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I have updated two machines with A12-9700P APUs, one with an A8, and another with an A6 without doing anything special and all went without a hitch.

Mind you, I do keep my Radeon software up to date using AMD's own updating suite.

bharathtechknow

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
Well i have Hp 15Dy000AU(Which Supports only Windows 10 and Future Windows Versions even no place for Linux) Amd Ryzen 3 2200U , Drivers Installed Through HP Driver Tools are always gets replaced from windows updates. even turning of the settings wont help me. always on latest windows 10 updates

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well i have Hp 15Dy000AU(Which Supports only Windows 10 and Future Windows Versions even no place for Linux) Amd Ryzen 3 2200U , Drivers Installed Through HP Driver Tools are always gets replaced from windows updates. even turning of the settings wont help me. always on latest windows 10 updates

Go to AMD.com and download the Adrenalin drivers for the 2200U there. The reason the HP drivers keep getting replaced is because they are old.

If you have any more questions start a new thread, do not continue asking for support in this one.

bharathtechknow

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
Go to AMD.com and download the Adrenalin drivers for the 2200U there. The reason the HP drivers keep getting replaced is because they are old.

If you have any more questions start a new thread, do not continue asking for support in this one.

thank you for answering. i have no issues with that. as the question mentions ANYONE so i just posted it. Thank you.