[SOLVED] ATX psu any good?

k3nn00

Commendable
May 17, 2021
So Im looking for a new PSU that can power my system and my new rog strix 560 4gb so im just curious if someone used this and is it any good?

Solution
I was thinking about this one
https://unykach.com/en/power-supply/power-supply-atx-500w-51960/

I also have a Phenom II X4 955 3.2 Ghz
10 GB DDR3
Arctic freezer X
1 Hitachi 300 gb HDD
and 1 Samsung HDD

I really wouldn't recommend it. The website states it's rated for 500W maximum load with about 270W for its 12V rail (which is the important rail that handles your core components). Even then, there's no guarantee that 270W is net power; it's rated for 78% efficiency which doesn't even clear the 80 plus "White" i.e. lower than Bronze, but 80 plus alright.

80 plus "White" is rated for 80% peak efficiency, and Bronze is 85% peak with 82% at the lowest. Efficiency doesn't equal quality, but they sure do help us...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
So Im looking for a new PSU that can power my system and my new rog strix 560 4gb so im just curious if someone used this and is it any good?
ATX is just a form factor standard for PSUs, coincidentally the form factor with the most variance in model and quality. If you can give us a link to the product or the brand and model we'll be able to help you.

Also aside from the GPU, what kind of processor are you running? The full list of your components will also help us determine how much power and what level of quality PSU you need.

Last edited:

k3nn00

Commendable
May 17, 2021
ATX is just a form factor standard for PSUs, coincidentally the form factor with the most variance in model and quality. If you can give us a link to the product or the brand and model we'll be able to help you.

Also aside from the GPU, what kind of processor are you running? The full list of your components will also help us determine how much power and what level of quality PSU you need.
10 GB DDR3
Arctic freezer X
1 Hitachi 300 gb HDD
and 1 Samsung HDD

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

10 GB DDR3
Arctic freezer X
1 Hitachi 300 gb HDD
and 1 Samsung HDD

I really wouldn't recommend it. The website states it's rated for 500W maximum load with about 270W for its 12V rail (which is the important rail that handles your core components). Even then, there's no guarantee that 270W is net power; it's rated for 78% efficiency which doesn't even clear the 80 plus "White" i.e. lower than Bronze, but 80 plus alright.

80 plus "White" is rated for 80% peak efficiency, and Bronze is 85% peak with 82% at the lowest. Efficiency doesn't equal quality, but they sure do help us calculating our power needs.

Ran your spec list through bequiet!'s PSU calculator and under load you'll be needing 270W. Way too close to your PSU sustained power rating. On top of that, it's an unknown model that I wouldn't recommend people to buy.

For budget option, I can recommend a Corsair CX450; assuming you're not overclocking that Phenom heavily. If you are, then something higher quality. 450W (of sustained, not maximum) is plenty for your system. With 450W power, you are utilizing it near the peak efficiency curve; more clean power for your PC and extends the life of the PSU itself.

If you want to take a look at more options, check the ones in tier C or higher in this list:
Get what's available in your region and your budget. 450W is the the lowest wattage of many modern PSU today, so no worries about that.

Solution

k3nn00

Commendable
May 17, 2021

80 plus "White" is rated for 80% peak efficiency, and Bronze is 85% peak with 82% at the lowest. Efficiency doesn't equal quality, but they sure do help us calculating our power needs.

Ran your spec list through bequiet!'s PSU calculator and under load you'll be needing 270W. Way too close to your PSU sustained power rating. On top of that, it's an unknown model that I wouldn't recommend people to buy.

For budget option, I can recommend a Corsair CX450; assuming you're not overclocking that Phenom heavily. If you are, then something higher quality. 450W (of sustained, not maximum) is plenty for your system. With 450W power, you are utilizing it near the peak efficiency curve; more clean power for your PC and extends the life of the PSU itself.

If you want to take a look at more options, check the ones in tier C or higher in this list:
Get what's available in your region and your budget. 450W is the the lowest wattage of many modern PSU today, so no worries about that.
Ok thanks for reply.So I just used some of the link you provided and got that a evga 500 w1 would be good for my system.

The EVGA W1 series is certainly not the best out there, but It is likely leagues better than the unyka PSU. An EVGA W1 500w should handle the <75w power draw of an RX560 no problem.

I have run an older i5 and an RX560 on a Delta 300w non 80+ OEM unit before and it worked perfectly.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm with NightHawk. I certainly wouldn't call an EVGA W1 a good PSU by any stretch of the imagination, but a mediocre PSU can handle something this low power. And it's a million times better than that Lovecraftian horror PSU linked farther up.

Now, OP, you do have to take into consideration that if you plan on upgrading to a more power-hungry GPU at some point, you'll then want to upgrade the PSU. I would not run an RX 580 on it long-term. But if you're sticking with the RX 560 or other low-power, entry-level GPUs, the W1 will be just fine, though I wouldn't count on it being around for a decade.