Discussion ATX PSUs are the weakest link !

roadsterGB

Prominent
Jul 22, 2022
I have just replaced a 750 watt PSU which failed in the hot weather without warning. It reminded me that whereas most components have built in diagnostics, standard power supplies are essentially dumb unless you add sensors yourself. The only clue was a computer which stopped dead before rebooting itself.

Time for a new standard?

Incidentally, after replacing it I did pull it apart to find the innards completely clogged with dust so I will put it back on the shelf as useable for now.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Psus being the weakest link is solely on the buyer and research they have done in not acquiring a garbage unit. Sorry but it's true. Many don't do that and go the cheap option which is why this stuff happens.

What psu is it? And your system specs?

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
I've talked about this before, have a simple OLED or LCD panel that shows codes. (even a blinking LED light would be better).

Some better diagnostics would be so cool (even a usb header), aftermarket vendors could make add-ons to read temps, show status, etc.,

m3city

Reputable
Sep 17, 2020
I have just replaced a 750 watt PSU which failed in the hot weather without warning. It reminded me that whereas most components have built in diagnostics, standard power supplies are essentially dumb unless you add sensors yourself. The only clue was a computer which stopped dead before rebooting itself.

Time for a new standard?

Incidentally, after replacing it I did pull it apart to find the innards completely clogged with dust so I will put it back on the shelf as useable for now.
Well, maybe that duet was part of the problem. Environment at your place may not be perfect (temp, low humidity builds up dust quickly). It is little bit cumbersome to clean it compared to pc case in general... Some PSUs have large grills and that helps.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Time for a new standard?

What was the make/model and age of the failed PSU?

Just sharing this for reference:

By the way, unless you are experienced and take the proper precautions, you should never muck around in the innards of a PSU. The results can be catastrophic (as in a trip to hospital or worse).

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Since OP made this post hasn't come back yet. Think just letting off steam.
Probably. However, providing information to the community is the purpose of the forum. Several have done that.

If the OP comes back, then great, we can discuss concerns. Otherwise, more informed content to the initial complaint has been offered should others come along with similar issues.

Reactions: Corwin65 and boju