Question Audio issues on ASRock Z77 motherboard ?

nateyboy

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016
Hello, and thanks in advance for reading. I just built a pc, installed windows 10 but am not getting any audio output from both the rear panel or front panel jacks. My headset has a single audio jack, so I used a splitter so I can connect the mic and speaker to the designated ports. I downloaded and installed the RealTek audio drivers from ASRocks website for my specific MB, and I’m still not getting audio. When I go to my recording and playback settings, the only active devices are the Realtek or High Definition audio devices as well as my monitor, which has an audio jack on it. When I connect the headset to my monitor, I get sound, but cannot use my microphone. I have been searching online for fixed and they all pretty much say to reinstall the drivers, which I have done several times. I’m not really sure what to do anymore. Does anyone have any tips?

Specs:
ASRock z77 Pro4
Intel i7 3770
16gb DDR3 Memory
R9 290 4gb
600 watt Thermaltake PSU

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I just built a pc, installed windows 10 but am not getting any audio output from both the rear panel or front panel jacks.
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

600 watt Thermaltake PSU
Thermaltake is the brand of the PSU, while 600 watts is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit and how old is it?

As for your motherboard;
ASRock z77 Pro4
What BIOS version are you on for the motherboard at this moment of time?

I downloaded and installed the RealTek audio drivers from ASRocks website for my specific MB, and I’m still not getting audio.
Might want to try and download the latest driver from here;
https://www.realtek.cz/download-ALC892-sound-driver-for-Windows10-64bit.html
installing the executable/driver package in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

My headset has a single audio jack, so I used a splitter so I can connect the mic and speaker to the designated ports.
Make and model of your headset? Got a link to the splitter used? Have you verified that the splitter works in another build?

When I go to my recording and playback settings, the only active devices are the Realtek or High Definition audio devices as well as my monitor, which has an audio jack on it.
When I connect the headset to my monitor, I get sound, but cannot use my microphone.
Does anyone have any tips?
If audio goes to monitor, then it doesn't go to Realtek High Definition Audio device.
You have to set default audio device to Realtek or
change output device in Settings/System/Sound.

nateyboy

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016
I just built a pc, installed windows 10 but am not getting any audio output from both the rear panel or front panel jacks.
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

600 watt Thermaltake PSU
Thermaltake is the brand of the PSU, while 600 watts is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit and how old is it?

As for your motherboard;
ASRock z77 Pro4
What BIOS version are you on for the motherboard at this moment of time?

I downloaded and installed the RealTek audio drivers from ASRocks website for my specific MB, and I’m still not getting audio.
Might want to try and download the latest driver from here;
https://www.realtek.cz/download-ALC892-sound-driver-for-Windows10-64bit.html
installing the executable/driver package in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

My headset has a single audio jack, so I used a splitter so I can connect the mic and speaker to the designated ports.
Make and model of your headset? Got a link to the splitter used? Have you verified that the splitter works in another build?
1. I installed Microsoft’s software for windows boot media via their website, onto a usb thumb drive.

2. Purchased the power supply a couple days ago for microcenter. It was pretty much the cheapest one they had for $45. It’s a Thermaltake Smart 600W / PS-SPD-0600NPCWUS-1

3. Bios Version P1.40 - I considered updating bios but didn’t end up doing it because I really didn’t know what I was doing.

4. I have downloaded drivers from the Realtek Website, and that hasn’t worked either, even running as administrator

5. My Headset is the Ozeino ZW2 linked here
The headset splitter works in another build. Here is a link to it: https://www.microcenter.com/product...aker-Microphone_Headset_Splitter_6_in_-_Black

thanks for your answer! I also want to note that I have another newly built with a Asrock b550 pg riptide that is having this exact same issue.

nateyboy

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016
If audio goes to monitor, then it doesn't go to Realtek High Definition Audio device.
You have to set default audio device to Realtek or
change output device in Settings/System/Sound.
Yes I tried that. Realtek is not giving any output to my headphones, nor recognizing it on my mic whether it’s the front or rear audio jacks

DSzymborski

Titan
2. Purchased the power supply a couple days ago for microcenter. It was pretty much the cheapest one they had for $45. It’s a Thermaltake Smart 600W / PS-SPD-0600NPCWUS-1

🤮

[...]

Anyway, do you actually know the motherboard's audio chip is properly functioning? Also, it's unclear from what you say; have you actually tried removing the splitter completely from the setup for testing purposes? One of the best ways to diagnose problems is to simplify the situation as much as possible.

nateyboy

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016
🤮

[...]

Anyway, do you actually know the motherboard's audio chip is properly functioning? Also, it's unclear from what you say; have you actually tried removing the splitter completely from the setup for testing purposes? One of the best ways to diagnose problems is to simplify the situation as much as possible.
Haha yea, I know it’s a crap power supply. On a bit of a budget. I have removed the splitter multiple times and plugged the single 3.5mm audio cable from the headset into the motherboard’s audio jack and that doesn’t work. I don’t understand how I can test if the audio chip is properly functioning. Do you know how to do this? I have tested it with other headphones that work as well.

DSzymborski

Titan
Haha yea, I know it’s a crap power supply. On a bit of a budget.

Budgets are always a problem, of course, but I hope you've budgeted out your risk of losing the R9 290; that's not a budget PSU, that's a cheaply-made group-regulated PSU, and those high-powered R9 cards were notorious for burning themselves out.

I have removed the splitter multiple times and plugged the single 3.5mm audio cable from the headset into the motherboard’s audio jack and that doesn’t work. I don’t understand how I can test if the audio chip is properly functioning. Do you know how to do this? I have tested it with other headphones that work as well.

It's hard to test the audio chip, I mean more in the sense of how this motherboard was working before. It's clearly not a new motherboard, so it also certainly had to be sourced from someone who was using it, and a little bit of detective work might tell you if this is a lost cause or not. The audio losing functionality on a motherboard is not an uncommon thing in old motherboards; one of my servers is using an old ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 motherboard that no longer has working on-board audio.

Yes I tried that. Realtek is not giving any output to my headphones, nor recognizing it on my mic whether it’s the front or rear audio jacks
Can you show screenshots from ?
Settings\System\Sound and​
Settings\System\Sound\Volume Mixer​
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Connect headset via splitter to rear of your pc.
Green plug from adapter to green audio socket on motherboard.
Red plug to red audio socket.

nateyboy

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016
Can you show screenshots from ?
Settings\System\Sound and​
Settings\System\Sound\Volume Mixer​
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Connect headset via splitter to rear of your pc.
Green plug from adapter to green audio socket on motherboard.
Red plug to red audio socket.

View: https://imgur.com/a/LbYKz8f

Note: on the "manage audio devices" page, speakers and microphone appeared for a split second, then went away.